Cal Poly Perma Report/Acorns

awerbalo at calpoly.edu awerbalo at calpoly.edu
Mon May 4 07:08:13 PDT 1998

Hi Folks,

After continued and thorough mulching of swales and elsewhwere at the
Poly PermaSite, the last few days' rain has truly styled us for the
coming season. Favas pumped, grains fat and ripening, turnips the size
of...well, big turnips, early sweet corn already greeting the dawn.

The recent plantings of sunflower, mangel, quinoa, squash, maize, vetch,
burdock, etc. around the new Festival Circle are growing well enough to
be downright scary.  (that's kind of a cool word: "downright")

The Sunday PermaSeries continues to be satisfying and inspirational, and
I'm not just talking about the pot luck lunch. Yesterday, our true
bioregional elder George Work from upcountry San Miguel-way illuminated
many on concepts of Holistic Management. Julian and I are now
considering running cattle and dung beetles at the Student Experimental
Farm.

Plenty of seedlings now going into the earth along with preparation of
the last major summer crop beds. If you want in on this action, come out
ready to "learn by doing" or call me at 756-5086 or email. I'll share my
clearest attention livetime face to face. If you help a lot out there,
I'll give you free heirloom seedlings. If you just want to buy them,
they're 3 for $5 with quantity discounts for more.

Finally, I'm working on a project relating to deep ecological
consciousness restoration statewide in one year, referenced below.
Please do what you can to wave the positivity flag high.

Downrightfully,

***************************************

I'm looking for some other positive people interested in the issue as
I've presented it below to contact Jerry Brown and advocate trying an
initially symbolic acorn-based local currency in the city of Oakland
where he's running for mayor. Some currencies have been based on gold
or
seashells. I'm recommending acorns, enhancing the possibility for
greater appreciation of trees. I've emailed him three times with no
response. Since Jerry is a politician, and the voices of more than one
person really make a difference, perhaps you can be helpful in carrying
this medicine...er..I mean MESSAGE.

The email addresses I have for Jerry Brown are

jb at jerrybrown.org, wtp at wtp.org  (but maybe someone knows of better
ones). I recommend the SUBJECT title: "ACORNS JERRY!"

and I also ask you to CC: akivaw at hotmail.com
so I know other people care.

Thank you in peace,
Akiva

***************************************

Jerry,

I'm the guy who spoke with you briefly at the EcoFarm conference about
local currency for Oakland based upon acorns.

Think about it: Oak-Land...Acorns...Food...Native
Bioregion...Simplicity...Ecological Restoration

As Oaklanders plant and care for more oaks, they experience a higher
quality of life and acorns are then actually used as currency for
selected purposes. People can also be taught how to use them as food.
It's an awareness thing represented by tangible ecological resources,
cultivating community pride and spirit of place. All very positive.

It's a gentle demonstration of local resourcefulness and respect, so
don't worry about it interfering with the military industrial complex's
manipulation of international currencies to plunder global ecological
resources. Remember, we're just talking about Oak-land for now.
California comes later.

I'm willing to help you with this as a campaign talking point, and I'm
sure many people in the Bay Area would as well. I am experienced with
the use of local currency in Berkeley ("BREAD") and Santa Barbara (SB
Hours). I develop Ecological Agriculture programs including a two week
residential Permaculture Design Course beginning Summer Solstice, June
21, in San Luis Obispo, and have voted for you for President.

If nothing else, Oakland Acorns will raise the awareness of locals to
the importance of trees, ecology, and indigenous history of the
bioregion. And most importantly it will be GOOD NATURED FUN positioning
you on the leading edge of the local currency groundswell in this
nation. Native plant people in the Bay Area tend to be well-to-do and
politically supportive of those advocating care of native plants.

I believe this can earn you the interest of many voters.

Remember: Oak-Land...Acorns...Wealth...Health...Indigenous Connection

Clear Paths,
akiva

Akiva Werbalowsky

"Cultivating Bioregional Stewardship"