Letter to edit,print,sign and send.

Bill Denneen bdenneen at slonet.org
Tue May 12 23:47:09 PDT 1998

Mr. Aerias, Chair
Coastal Commission
725 Front Street
Santa Cruz, Ca.,95060
Re. Carrying Capacity Study June "98, Santa Barbara

The Oceano Dunes State Vehicle Recreation Area (SVRA) wants to establish a
southern access.  Now is the time  to re-evaluate the
whole concept of vehicles on our beautiful, special coast. The Carrying
Capacity  for vehicles is ZERO!   Vehicles do NOT belong on  our beach and
dunes for the following reasons:

1.  Vehicle "recreation" is not coastal dependent.
2.  Vehicles account for over  half of our air pollution.
3.  Vehicle use of our beach and dunes preclude any other use
     such as walking, volleyball, dog walking, strolling, sand castle
     building, or just listening to the waves.
4 .  Gasoline is a finite fossil fuel .
5.  The $45 million dollars from the gas tax used to promote
     vehicle "recreation" could better be used  to promote walking,
bicycles or buses instead  of more vehicle  use.
6.  Vehicles have obliterated the foredunes within the SVRA. These
     foredune did  contain rare, endangered pioneer plants.
7.  The beach and dunes are special, very limited natural habitats that
should be protected  from the vehicles .
8.   Vehicles should  be removed from our beach which is being considered
for National Seashore status.

We urge that a "phase out" program be established for the SVRA on Oceano
Beach and Nipomo Dunes.  "Vehicle Recreation" is NOT coastal dependent.
Our State Park System should return to its  original intent which was
protection, interpretation  and passive recreaction.
The Carrying Capacity for Vehicles on our beach and dunes is ZERO!

Sincerely yours,