Hawai'i Island Permaculture Design and Deep Ecology Course

john valenzuela johnvalenzuela at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 10 23:32:03 PST 1998

Permaculture Design and Deep Ecology

at La'a Kea Permaculture Gardens

on the Big Island of Hawai'i

January 3 to 24, 1999

The course:

This three week basic permaculture design course and skills intensive
will balance classroom presentation with field demonstrations and "hands
in the dirt" practice. It is a great opportunity to experience first
hand one of the best examples of permaculture in Hawai'i, while learning
from some of the most experienced permaculture teachers and designers
from both Hawai'i and the U.S. mainland. Our Deep Ecology program
facilitated by Dr. Beatrix Pfleiderer, is a process oriented exploration
of our individual and collective connection to Earth.

The site:
La'a Kea Permaculture Gardens is a 25 acre demonstration farm and
education center. We are located in the rain forest on the slopes of the
most active volcano in the world, Kilauea. Active lava flows enter the
ocean 10 miles from the farm.

This area is also well known for its agricultural abundance since
ancient times, which evolved from the traditional Hawaiian sustainable
land use system, known as the ahupua'a. We are growing many traditional
hawaiian crops including food plants, medicinal and fiber plants.
Additionally we have plantings of many other species from around the
world, including over seventy fruit varieties, and sixteen bamboo sp.
Integrated systems on the ground include intensive annual and perennial
gardens, green manure hedgerow alley cropping, orchard and agroforestry
plantings, animal forage systems, ponds for aquaculture and fertility,
"off the grid" power systems, and more.

Instructors:

Ken Boche M.A., the owner and operator of a diversified nursery, an
experienced permaculture consultant and teacher, and community organizer
who specializes on the "invisible structures" of permaculture. With a
degree in biogeography, Ken has taught environmental field studies
through U.C. Santa Cruz.

Doug Bullock, a landscape and homestead designer, nurseryman and world
traveler with extensive experience in all aspects of permaculture design
and installation. Doug, with his brothers, have created one of the best
examples of permaculture in North America on Orcas Island, Washington
state.

Lonnie Gamble, the president of Hydroelectric Power Development Co.
specializing in wind, solar thermal, biomass, and photovoltaic energy
systems.

Don May, the manager of La'a Kea Gardens and a permaculture design
consultant and teacher with over 15 years of practical farming and
landscaping experience, including market gardening and integrated
orchard design and management.

Beatrix Pfleiderer, Ph.D. a medical anthropologist and transpersonal
psychotherapist who specializes in deep ecology, ecopsychology, and
group consciousness work. She has traveled through out the world
studying healing cults and ritual, and now calls Hawai'i home.

John Valenzuela, a horticulturist and educator based in Hawai'i who
works with adults and youth in Hawai'i and California. His specialties
are home gardens, trees, ethnobotany, plant collecting and propagation,
with experience in California doing reforestation, growing and marketing
organic produce, and urban gardening.

In addition, we will have many guest presenters from around the state.
For registration and transportation information contact:

La'a Kea Permaculture Gardens

Phone number: (808)965-0178

Email: laakea at ilhawaii.net

Or visit our web site at: