Howz my Eddie?

Kirk Hanson permawest at olywa.net
Thu Jun 24 10:40:34 PDT 1999

Hey Akiva,
	Is Ed down there with you at the moment?  ARe you kids having a jolly
time?  I hope he's finding inspiration in your permaculture scene.  Let him
know his house is still standing and we're having a hard time keeping up
with all the lettuce he planted, "munch, munch, burp, munch, munch".
	Ed tells me that you went to the Univ. of Virginia some time ago.  Ellen
and I are considering moving to Charlottesville to attend the UVa.  I want
to get into their graduate Landscape Architecture program and she may get
into the Architecture program.  We were initially attracted to the school
because of William McDonough and the sustainable design emphasis he seems
to lend to the instituition.  The way the literature reads the school
sounds like an amazing primer to getting into sustainable design on a
professional level.  One of the things I feel that I'm missing in my
permaculture "education" is real technical training in land-use planning.
 I'm thinking it's time I go back to school now that I have some
perspective on how to conquer all that ails the world.  What are your
impressions of the school and do they really jive with the permaculture way
or are they just paying lip service to ecological design?
	Do you by any chance know of any other schools that effectively blend
ecological design with landscape architecture?  Since I've got five years
of design under my belt I don't want to get bogged down with too much
remedial stuff.  I just want to get into a program where the folks are
passionate about the work they're doing and I can work with a team that is
getting right to the heart of doing "real" sustainable design work.  Know
what I mean?
	Hey, give Eddie a squeeze for me and pull on Mayam's tail.

Peace, love, and bananas,
KIrk Hanson