Connection...

YankeePerm at aol.com YankeePerm at aol.com
Sun Jul 25 18:49:24 PDT 1999

In a message dated 7/25/99 9:52:24 PM, scot at stardate.bc.ca writes:

<<...wondering if anyone's here and if so, do you know of any permaculture
practioners/sites/activities in British Columbia or Alberta?>>

There is an email exchange group out of Vancouver.   If you don't track it
down, email me at Permacltur at aol.com  (not this address) and I will try to
dig up the address.   I'm on the list, but it has been quiet lately and I'll
have to find a post.  I think the guy who does the "listserve" discussion
group is Harold Wadlock.  Try contacting John Irwin at
JWIrwin at permaculture.net

He has the North American permaculture directory database and may be able to
put you in touch.

For Mother Earth, Dan Hemenway, Yankee Permaculture Publications (since
1982), Elfin Permaculture workshops, lectures, Permaculture Design Courses,
consulting and permaculture designs (since 1981), and annual correspondence
courses via email.  Copyright, 1998, Dan & Cynthia Hemenway, P.O. Box 52,
Sparr FL 32192 USA  Internships. YankeePerm at aol.com

We don't have time to rush.

A list by topic of all Yankee Permaculture titles may be found at
http://csf.colorado.edu/perma/ypc_catalog.html
Elfin Permaculture programs are listed at the Eastern Permaculture Teachers
assn home page: http://home.ptd.net/~artrod/epta/eptahmp.html
----------
--Elfin Permaculture News

PERMACULTURE DESIGN WORKSHOP TO BE HELD IN CALIFORNIA
	Dan Hemenway, editor of The International Permaculture Solutions
Journal, will lead an intensive 10-day permaculture design workshop Aug.
6-15, 1999,
near Alleghany, in Northern California.
	The initial weekend is a stand-alone workshop where participants
produce a rough
draft permaculture design.  Starting Monday, participants flesh out and
refine their design,
delivering a report to the residents the following Saturday.  Instruction
during the week is
confined to topics needed to produce this specific design. The design will
integrate human
activity with the contour, soil, solar energy, and water flows of the site to
provide water,
food, shelter, energy, and other patterns supportive of the residents.
Creating a joyous and
enjoyable setting is central to the design goals. Sunday afternoon, Dan will
conclude the
workshop with a clinic to discuss permaculture-related problems that
participants bring
from their own situations. Participants can register for the full workshop or
just the initial
weekend. There is a limit on enrollment.
	The workshop is designed to meet the needs of a variety of
participants including:
people wishing to learn to design their own homes; people seeking strong
preparation for
the certificate Permaculture Design Course, certified permaclturists seeking
advanced work,
and present or future students of the Online Permaculture Design Course who
will use the
workshop to meet their design project requirement.
	Child care can be arranged with advance notice. Send SASE for a
complete flyer.
Inquire also if you wish to host permaculture or forest workshops in your
area. Limited
scholarships for Native Americans, women, minorities, and others are
available.
	For  details about the workshop fee, scholarships, housing, meals and
similar
matters, contact Birdsong Sundstrom, Forest City, via Alleghany CA 95910.
<birdsong at sccn.net>
	To arrange for advanced work or online course credit, or to book
another
workshop, contact:
Elfin Permaculture, P.O. Box 52, Sparr FL 32192-0052 USA.
<Permacltur at aol.com>

Our Annual Permaculture Design Courses by Email Began  November 29.  Late
registrations extended.  Next course begins Octob er, 1999

THE THIRD ANNUAL ELFIN PERMACULTURE DESIGN COURSE ONLINE
WILL BEGIN IN OCTOBER, 1999
	The online Permaculture Design Course  combines reading  conventional
books
and papers with online discussion and a number of student reports.  These
include
practice teaching of  permaculture and a comprehensive permaculture design
report
that serves as a final examination.  Like the in-person three-week course,
this five to
six month online program confers a Permaculture Design Certificate on
students who
successfully complete all requirements.
	Some students take the course to obtain professional guidance in
developing their
home permaculture designs without the need to pay consulting rates. Non
certificate students
may, of course, waive any requirements.
	Enrollment is limited to 20 students. However, any number of people
can monitor the course
for a nominal fee.  Monitors do not participate  course discussion, although
of course they are
free to conduct private communications with any of participating  students so
willing.
  For more information, email us at ElfPermacl at aol.com  On requestwe will
send you the
course protocol and the course reading list. Students may enroll in the
entire program at one
time  or in any of three course sections in any order.
The course follows the outline below:
	SECTION 1:  Introduction and Basic Principles
		a)  World ecological problems and interrelationships.
		b)  Principles of natural design.
		c)  Permaculture design concepts.
		d)  Classical landscapes.
		e)  Patterning, edges, edge effects.
		f)  The Permaculture Design Report
		g)  Principles of transformation (in process--you will get as
much as we
have worked out at the moment--this is not part of ordinary permaculture
design courses).
	SECTION 2:  Appropriate Technologies  in Permaculture Design
		a)  Energy--solar, wind, hydro, biomass, etc.
		b)  Nutrient cycles--soil, microclimates, gardening methods,
perennials, tree
crops, food parks, composting toilets, livestock, "pest" management, food
storage, seed
saving, cultivated systems, forests,  etc.
		c)  Water--impoundments, aquaculture, conservation, etc.
		d)   Buildings.
	SECTION 3:  Social permaculture.  Design Report.
		a)   Design for catastrophe.
		b)  Urban permaculture.
		c)  Bioregionalism.
		d)  Alternative economics.
		e)  Village development.
		f)  Final design reports and critiques.
		g)  Final evaluation.
	DESIGN SECTION.  (Requires Section 1.)  Students complete  a
permaculture
design
	Students follow a set reading schedule supplemented by email  notes
from the instructor.
They discuss reading assignments  by conventional email, so people in
different parts of the
world do not need to be online a the same time.   The instructor also
	Students completing all course  are  elegible to monitor or
participate in the next course
to reinforce what they have learned.  There is no charge for taking the
second course cycle.
	Students may arrange to enroll individual sections  of the course in
any sequence,
depending on their financial  and schedule  requirements.
	Instructor Dan Hemenway has taught  permaculture worldwide in Europe,
Asia, the
Pacific and North America. Dan  is also founder, editor and publisher of The
International
Permaculture Solutions Journal,  highly regarded among permaculturists, and
PROD
(Permaculture Review Overview and Digest). He is program director of APT
Permaculture Training), founder of the Forest Ecosystem Rescue Network
(FERN), and
active in related movements such as remineralization. He contributes to the
development of
permaculture with ongoing work on principles of transformation.  Dan holds
five diplomas
in various aspects of permaculture from the International Permaculture
Institute. He
received the annual Conservation Award from Friends of Nature in 1983 and the
Community Service Award from the International Permaculture Institute in
1984. In 1991,
he was named as a delegate to "Roots of the Future," a conference of NGOs in
Paris,
France, to prepare input to the UN "Earth Summit" held in June, 1992. More
recently, Dan
was cited in Swathmore's Who's Who in America for 1996-97, and  from 1995 to
1996
was named permanent Honorary Chairman, Permaculture Foundation - Net_Work -
Kenya,  Homa Bay, Kenya.
	Teaching assistants in this course include Willem Smutz, of South
Africa, who has
participated in all of the online Elfin Permaculture courses to date and
Cynthia Baxter Hemenway
CNM, who worked as a partner in Elfin Permaculture  since 1988.
	For details, email Elfin Permaculture at  elfpermacl at aol.com
	Correspondence courses by mail continue to be available. Contact us
if you would
like to host a live course or workshop at your site.

PREP--Permaculture/Remineralization Education Program Studies Chinampas
	In concert with Remineralize the Earth Foundation, Elfin Permaculture
has founded
PREP--Permaculture/Remineralization Education Project.  PREP was created
initially to
support a Kenyan permaculture project in which Elfin Permaculture has been
instrumental.
Now PREP seeks support for a study trip to Mexico to document Chinampas.
	Dan has experimented with the chinampas concept in the past, and
presently is
developing a permaculture design with chinampas at Barking Frogs Permaculture
Center. To
make the techniques we use compatible with areas where expanded food
production is most needed,
we are doing all work by hand.  Volunteers are welcome and we have room for 2
interns.
The Barking Frogs Farm chinampas build on the Mexican technique by applying
permaculture design to integrate them to a total permaculture design.
	Financial contributions are badly needed to document the last
remaining traditional
chinampas in Xochomilco, Mexico.

INTERNSHIPS AT BARKING FROGS PERMACULTURE CENTER
	We have two internships available for people who wish to gain
experience and
contribute to the development and outreach of permaculture design.  Each of
our
internships is custom-designed in response to goals of the interns as well as
to current
needs of the center.  Work includes both indoor tasks (office, publications,
design
documentation, etc.) and physical tasks (construction, chinampas building,
agroforestry
development, gardening, animal care, harvest, etc.) and may include outreach
activities.
Internships have the potential to develop into profit-sharing businesses
and/or commonworks
projects where  the intern develops a sustainable means of self-support.

PERMACULTURE CONSULTATION SERVICES
	Elfin Permaculture offers consultation services including full
permaculture designs,
consultation reports, and a special client survey with feedback. (See the
regular order
form.)  While we feel that for most people, training to design their own
place is more
useful, there has proven to be a valid place for some consultation.  In
addition to designs
for people who have not received permaculture training, we find that we help
people with
some experience to design difficult or delicate parts of their site.  We will
accept no more
than two design or consulting jobs concurrently in order to have time to work
on our own
place.  For details, contact Dan Hemenway, Barking Frogs Permaculture Center,
P.O. Box
52, Sparr FL 32192-0052 USA or email Dan at Permacltur at aol.com

YANKEE PERMACULTURE PUBLICATION NEWS

CORNUCOPIA II IS AVAILABLE
	The long awaited 2nd edition  of Stephen Facciola's excellent
directory of edible plant species, Cornucopia, is now available from Yankee
Permaculture at $45 + p&h.  This is an essential reference for any
permaculturist anywhere in the world.

TRIP VII Is Off the Press!
	Vol. VII of TRIP, The Resources of International Permaculture, was
back from the
printer around Dec. 1, 1998.  TRIP VII is a directory of about 2,000 groups
worldwide
working for some aspect of sustainable habitation.  Each entry is listed by
global region,
country, city and so forth in the main directory.  Then entries are indexed
both by
alphabetical name of every group and publication and by a set of 16
categories.  TRIP VII
costs $25 + P&H and includes a subscription to our update service. Typically,
we publish
three updates of changes, deletions and additions between entirely new
volumes.  TRIP is
updated continually, on a nearly daily basis.
 	Yankee Permaculture also offers TRIP-on-Disk.  There are no volume
numbers
because each 3.5-inch computer disk we ship is copied from our master
database on the
day that we process your order. TRIP-on-Disk starts at $50 + P&H depending on
the
format that you  need. Send $1.00 +a #10  SASE or 2  International Return
Mail Coupons
for an instruction sheet on ordering disks from Yankee Permaculture.
Presently, TRIP-on-
Disk lists about 2,000 groups and publications.  Updates are available at 1/2
the cost of a
new disk.

TRIP VI Clearance at 80% OFF!
	We printed too many copies of Volume VI of TRIP.  In order to get
more copies
into people's hands, we are reducing the price to $5 + P&H now for the print
version with
no frills.  We will also supply updates as long as they are in stock. We now
have just a few
copies left.

KOURIK'S EDIBLE LANDSCAPING BOOK GOES OUT OF PRINT,
BUT DAMAGED COPIES ARE AVAILABLE
	Robert Kourik's outstanding volume, *Designing and Maintaining Your
Edible
Landscape, Naturally* has gone out of print. However Yankee Permaculture was
able to
buy Bob's remaining inventory of slightly damaged copies.  These are
available at $20
while they last.  Bob tells us that he expects a new edition to be available
in 2 or 3 years,
though a publisher was not yet secured the last we heard.  We can also
provide hardcover
copies at $40 each while they last.  Both prices require additional P&H as
usual.  This is
one of the books in our extensive permaculture library that we consult the
most.  I would
not be without it. As of 7/11/99 we still had some copies.

SPECIAL ORDER NEWS
	Yankee Permaculture publishes a special order catalog, paper #27,
that lists all
manner of resources for which there is little market,, but which are
invaluable to some
individuals seeking translations, databases, permaculture designs,
permaculture
consultation reports, out-of-print public domain publications, and so forth.
Elfin
Permaculture designs and consultation reports are often listed at 10% of the
original fee
(always plus P&H) and we have a number of student reports as well, generally
priced to
cover some of the labor of stocking and order processing.  The next addition
will be more
than 200 pages of report for Maralá, a Paraguayan project with which we
collaborate.
Appendices including data bases, are offered separately as usual. Send $5.00
if you wish
to see a the table of contents, directory of appendices, and list of figures,
via email, $10 for
us to print them out and send them by physical mail.
	We have also decided to add the report of the Urban Permaculture
Project, an an out-
of-print document  from the 1980s which we feel has special merit.

•YPC TITLES ARE LISTED BY TOPIC ON THE  WEB
http://csf.colorado.edu/perma/ypc_catalog.html

•  Ask for Clearance List of Discounted Publications.
	We have a small number of used, damaged and discontinued publications
available
at great discounts from our clearance list.  Ask for the latest version.  We
print these out individually
so that they are up to date.

  Ordering Yankee Permaculture Publications from This Sheet.
	Some of the publications listed on this sheet may have not yet been
added to the
Yankee Permaculture Order Form as of this writing.  To compute the cost, add
the total of
publications that you seek, then compute Postage & Handling.  P&H costs 10%
of
purchase price in the US and 20% elsewhere. However there is a minimum of
$3.00 P&H
on small orders. Pay P&H only for the first $150 of each order.  You may
combine
purchases from this sheet with those from the order form to get the best deal
on shipping.
	If at all possible, please use the order form, even if you only order
from this sheet.
Simply attach the list of new publications to the order form.  The regular
YPC order form
lists all conditions and procedures.
Items ordered from this sheet
Item

Cost

$

$

$

$

$
Postage & Handling* ($3 minimum, pay only on first $150 of order)

$
Total Order (US funds only, checks must be drawn on a US Bank.)

$
Contribution to meet requests from "Third World" groups, elementary school
students, etc.
$
TOTAL ENCLOSED.

$
_____ This order is not combined with an order on the regular Yankee
Permaculture Order
Form. I have attached my name and address.
Yankee Permaculture, P.O. Box 52, Sparr FL 32192-0052 USA. email:
<Permacltur at aol.com>

* 10 percent of the order to USA addresses, 20 percent to addresses elsewhere.

New service charge minimum.  Due to increased costs, we have increased our
minimum service
charge to $3.50US.  The service charge is assessed when special communication
or other work
is required because people underpay  orders, send illegible orders, or
otherwise confuse or
complicate the order project.  We are all volunteers at Yankee Permaculture
and we need your
cooperation to continue to provide you with unique and useful
permaculture-related information.

7/11/99