Big Island

Milogic at aol.com Milogic at aol.com
Tue Aug 17 21:19:31 PDT 1999

There are no "ocean front" acres in Pahoa as it is several miles in either
direction from ocean. On the northerly and east side of Kapoho area (the
southeast corner of the island) lies Wa'a Wa'a (canoe sheds were located in
this area and canoe is Wa'a) which is very rugged, mostly cliffs pounded by
the swells coming all the way from the Americas.

To the  southerly and west of Kapoho, there are some residential areas
varying from subdivisions to individual lots, most of which would also
qualify as rugged, many opportunities to get off line, etc. These areas are
about ten or more miles from Pahoa town. Directly down the road south of
Pahoa lies what was Kalapana. This area was inundated by lava a few years
ago. (which is still flowing just to the west of there). Kapoho was taken out
about 1950 or so by Pele so there is relatively recent lava rock in the
middle of the area, too.

This whole area is Zone One for both volcanic activity and earthqauakes.
Plus, blessings of stupid technology, we have a fairly large geothermal
development plopped in the middle of what was once lowland rainforest. Only
in very recent months has minimal home and earthquake insurance again become
available at rather steep rates.

The lowland rainforest hereabouts is considered the last lowland rainforest
in the USA. Bulldozers work every day to reduce it so papaya and other
exotica can be planted to ship (very non-pc) to the continent thoroughly
gassed for export.

The lowland rainforest is a delightful climate. But don't tell anyone more.
OK?

The Puna district of Hawaii is minimally afflicted by tourism, fortunately.
Pahoa may be the last genuinely funky and friendly town in Hawaii. We hope it
can stay that way. There are a variety of small restaurants with varied
offerings. We have the Akebono Theater, the oldest and most funky movie house
still going in Hawaii. Lots of funky folks, too. A few permaculture types
scattered around such as La'akea Gardens featuring Don May and offering two
15 day certification courses as well as many workshops during the year.

We live about a mile or so from the nearest highway (130). Now and then we
hear some trucks and souped up cars at night or during the day. Down along
the Red Road along the coast from Kalapana to Kopoho, a few cars and fewer
trucks except the usual jockeys with an overdose of testosterone come along
now and then. Out Wa'a Wa'a the road gets very interesting. Try to go much
more than 15 mph and plan for new suspension regularly.

If you have never lived in Hawaii, it is hard to appreciate that most of the
islands are quite different than almost anyplace else you can imagine.
Islands are not the same as living anywhere on the continents. The myriad
microclimatic differences can be very significant, a few hundred yards to one
side or the other and up  or down and much changes quite dramatically. The
volcanic origins make for thin soils, if any, and often quite acidic
conditions. The imported plant life has pretty well done in the local stuffs
and has to be worked on constantly to keep from getting overwhelmed in a few
weeks.The wonderful arrays of bugs native and imported add intriguing
challenges to growing what we call "haole" vegetables. And, saving grace, we
have absolutely delightful farmers' markets twice a week in Hilo (about 25 -
30 miles north) and Pahoa on Sunday mornings -- a real treat. Mollison's
permaculture concepts and practices are great and need a lot of creative
interpretation here. Visit La'akea Gardens to see seven years of work
beginning to make some headway. Lots learned there (and in other PC --sort
of--sites around this big island) if you are serious about tropical
permaculture.

Milo Clark
Pahoa HI