LA Watershed Council Meeting April 15

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network sbpcnet at silcom.com
Wed Feb 23 16:44:01 PST 2000

Here is a interesting conference program that you may want to publicize on
your net. Dorothy Green and her group has done some very exciting things with
dissecting the LA basin and understanding its flows and outputs into our
waterways. The ecological balance and our own health are at risk by the way
we are living on the landscape. They have a great book out, Stormwater: Asset
or Liability by Susanne Dallman and Tom Piechota, Phd., PE. You can reach
them at Los Angeles and San Gabriel Rivers Watershed Council 111 Hope St,
suite 2113, Los Angeles, Ca 90024: 213-367-4111

They are doing great administrative urban permaculture work.

Bill Roley
Director
Permaculture Institute of Southern California
1027 Summit Way
Laguna Beach, Ca 92651
949-494-5843

SAVE THE DATE:  SATURDAY, APRIL 15, 2000

FROM DRAIN TO DREAM III WATERSHED CONFERENCE

WATER QUALITY ISSUES AND THE CLEAN WATER ACT EXPLORED
How Water Quality Standards are Determined, Enforced, and Changed
Water Quality Issues now Under Debate

Date         Saturday, April 15, 9:00 AM to 3:30 PM
Cost:      $12 includes lunch, parking and materials.  Scholarships will be
available.
Location:  Department of Water and Power Auditorium, 111 North Hope. Downtown

The Los Angeles & San Gabriel Rivers Watershed Council's spring conference
will explore the Clean Water Act and the quality of the waters in our
watershed.  Just as last year's conference led to the publication of a book
on Storm Water, this conference will lead to the publication of a book on
water quality.  It will also lead to recommendations as to what standards you
think appropriate for our local water bodies.  Your input is sought.

Draft copies of this new book will be mailed to all who reserve space ahead
of time.  It is important to learn the content in advance because we will be
soliciting conference participants' advice and guidance on the appropriate
water quality standards for our local water bodies.  Establishing these
standards is, in the final analysis, a political process.  Our
recommendations will be presented to the Regional Water Quality Control Board
together as part of the published book.  Come and Let your Voice be Heard!

AGENDA:  We have invited Alexis Straus, Chief of Water for US EPA Region IX,
to be our keynoter, to present an overview of water quality issues, past,
present, and future.  Dr. Heather Trim, author of our new book, will present
an overview.  She will be followed by a response panel composed of the
Regulator (The Regional Water Board), the Regulated (L A City Sanitation
District), the Environmental Community, and the Watershed Council.
    After lunch we will assemble in small workshop groups with a facilitator
to debate the various beneficial use designations, and decide on our
recommendations.  The small groups will then come together to report on their
deliberations, and hopefully agree on a consensus recommendation to include
in the book and for presentation to the Regional Board.

South Coast Permaculture Guild
Santa Barbara Chapter
224 E. Figueroa St, #C
Santa Barbara, CA 93101