Permaculture in the LA Times and annoucement of Ojai Permaculture Day Sat. May 6

Wesley Roe and Marjorie Lakin Erickson lakinroe at silcom.com
Mon May 1 20:53:55 PDT 2000

Saturday May 6 10am-5pm Ojai  Permaculture Day
At Ojai Foundation 9739 Highway #150 Ojai  805-646-8343
Cost $45 Adults and $25 students Scholarships offered  Bring brown bag lunch
The day will start with what makes a outstanding community, followed with
hands
on projects during the day,discussions of sharing resources, and a land tour
and visit of local organic farm. A good discussion/learning of permaculture on
a community and bioregional level.
Instructors are Dave White leader Ojai Permaculture Guild, Marlo Hocthkiss
landsteward and Anthropologist and Jeanette Williams

An Antidote to Globalization Is Just Outside Your Front Door
A simple walk and exposure to natural communities can be a first step toward
improving the environment.

By DAVID WHITE

     Globalization--the specter of rampant capitalists raping the Earth--as an
environmental issue made it onto the radar screens of many people through the
World Trade Organization demonstrations last year in Seattle. Many of the
activists there were seeking to stop or reverse the current trends of global
pillage, exemplified by fossil fuel energy use, exposure to toxics and habitat
destruction.
     One antidote to globalization is localism. This stresses positive actions
toward our environment.
     The simple action of getting out and walking around our neighborhoods is
the literal first step. A half hour of greeting neighbors while getting
American Medical Assn.-approved exercise follows, toning our cardiovascular
systems and reducing stress.
     During our walks, we should consider our neighborhoods and look for means
to improve them. These walks expose us to natural communities--the plants,
trees and shrubs of the landscape. Their contributions are remarkable when you
stop to ponder: oxygen production, water and air purification, regulation of
local climate, protection against sun and wind, sustenance of biological
diversity and wildlife, food, medicine, soil creation and fertility, erosion
control and flood prevention, and fiber for construction, fuel and energy.

* * *     Humanity has long recognized the importance of biological resources.
It is worth stating that insects have been around for almost 400 million years
and flowering plants for almost 200 million years. The subtle relationship
that
evolved between flowers and pollinating insects has existed for millenniums.
The design of these organisms has literally stood the test of time.
     Natural patterns provide the basis for sustainable design. To the
localist, the nurture of plants provides the basis for a sustainable human
community. Locally, the oak woodland provides habitat for a complex community.
In Ventura County, the majestic valley oak should receive priority for
planting
and regeneration, along with native riparian (riverside) habitat supported by
species such as willow, alder and sycamore. Planting and nurturing the right
trees in the right location is a basic localist action for building
community.
     Other than native habitat, food is naturally a desirable yield. One fruit
tree can feed many people. Seasonal shade may be just as important. A single
shade tree is a haven in the heat of summer. Climbing annuals such as squash
and pole beans can be trellised for quick shade.
     We build our homes out of trees; we should grow our own lumber locally.
Fast growing species such as Paulownia, thornless honey locust or
straight-grained eucalyptus can provide shade in a few years and can be
cropped
for lumber while other slower growing species are developing in their
shelter.
     Planting for a sustainable future emphasizes the choice of species that
will survive on their own once established. Here, mulberry and almonds can
be a
lucrative crop, and provide delicious edibles. Chinese date, American and
Oriental persimmon, loquat, pomegranate, grape, apricot, olive, fig and walnut
plants are all drought tolerant and will provide food without additional
water.
Leguminous species such as honey locust and carob provide food for livestock
and humans, as well as add fertility to the soil.
     By comparison, the commercial varieties planted in Ventura County,
such as
citrus and avocados, need regular watering. These foods should be so readily
available that it would be better to grow a more unusual and sustainable
species, such as Oriental persimmons, and trade surplus for avocados.
     The best time to plant a tree is now. Deciduous trees are available in
inexpensive and practical bare-root form at your local nursery. Plan a
planting
spot where your tree will best fit. Clay soils can benefit from gravel, sand
and humus. Rocky soils benefit from mulching with any organic material such as
cardboard, carpet, straw, wood chips or other soil-building components. This
sheet mulching approach can also defeat noxious weeds without resort to toxic
chemicals.
     Planted trees become centers for plant guilds--associations of plantings
that attract pollinators and other beneficials. These and the central tree
also
benefit from co-watering. Establishing orchards in annual vegetable gardens
increases the land's productive output. Plantings on contour, or with
appropriate earthworks that direct runoff to target trees, utilize rain and
prevent downstream flooding. Plantings of trees are much more practical flood
control mechanisms than storm drains.
     This design has been functioning in Davis Village Homes, a premier
eco-village design for sustainable housing, based on draining rainwater to
central commons area, creating wetlands.

* * *     The combined impact of 6 billion people on Earth is an unending,
compounding, depleting assault on the ecosphere. Resource removal, habitat
loss, pollution, deforestation, topsoil loss and losses in diversity and
species numbers require proactive implementation of earth-care designs.
     Localism reduces fossil fuel transportation costs by emphasizing use of
local resources. Schools provide natural centers for teaching sustainable
design. The more we can teach our youths about permanent, sustainable designs,
the more benefits we will reap as they manage our future affairs.
- - -
David White Is a Leader of the Ojai Permaculture Guild. Contact Him at
646-9809
or Artdetour at mac.com

Santa Barbara
Permaculture Network