Santa Barbara Edition of Hopedance Sept/Oct 2000 Soar, Sprawl and Sustainable Communities is out, plus a Permaculture Column andmore

Wesley Roe and Marjorie Lakin Erickson lakinroe at silcom.com
Mon Sep 4 22:36:00 PDT 2000

Hi everyone
         The Santa Barbara Edition of Hopedance Sept/Oct titled SOAR,
Sprawl and
Sustainable Communities is starting to appear at Santa Barbara County
locations. Bob Banner the Publisher has given us our first SB cover of
Hopedance with a truly deep feeling painting by Paul Cumes
www.paulcumes.org plus one more in the issue.  Paul's words "were created
in order to express my feelings about overdevelopment and urbanization of
SB." pg 20 read more about his work.

         The SB Edition starts with a great article by SB City Council
Member and upcoming candidate for Mayor Gil Garcia "Walkable Communities"
as Gil writes in the article "A community that considers walking as a mode
of transport and is designed to support walking is regarded as more
livable, attractive, and is likely to have a lively community spirit."
         Moving on to an article by the San Marcos Foothills Coalition
about preserving the "headwaters" of the Goleta Slough visit there website
www.sanmarcosfoothills.org .
         The New Organic Garden Club announces it upcoming meetings and
it's great list of programs thank you Larry Saltzman and Linda Buzzell
lbsaltzman at aol.com and 805-563-2063.
         James Smallwood article on Sustainable Plan for Santa Barbara
Creeks and Watersheds is an article that argues for need for a
comprehensive plan to achieve sustainable use of our resources.
         The urban 4-H Program called 4-H Learning Through Nature
Greenhouse tells about the great number of volunteers that are helping to
make the dream of functional community greenhouse happen. Hava Schwartz and
Mike Marzolla.
         The Santa Barbara Calendar of Events announces events like The
Fist Organic Festival at Oak Park Sept17  11-5 http://www.islandseed.com ,
the Parade of Green Buildings in SB on Oct21/22 , Fairview Garden ongoing
programs and Ending Destructive Genetic Engineering Campaign for Sept.
         Also Gene Hoffman of SB nows has a regular column at Hopedance
called Possibilities

DEADLINE FOR NEXT ISSUE NOV/DEC 2000 WILL BE OCT 5 FOR THE SANTA BARBARA
SECTION
Please submit articles,cartoons, essays, book reviews, fictional stories,
poems , announcements of events, and ideas for  Santa Barbara Hopedance to
the SB Editors Wes Roe lakinroe at silcom.com and Margie Bushman
sbpcnet at silcom.com
805-962-2571.
The next meeting of Hopedance SB to talk about the articles and meet the
people behind the articles gathered for the Nov/Dec issue will be Oct 3 7pm
at Sola House SB.

Here is part of the intro to Hopedance Mag Sept/Oct by Bob Banner which SB
Hopedance is a part
www.hopedance.com to subscribe at $10 per year
Welcome to the 24th issue of HopeDance. We've been at it for 4 years! And
with this issue we are completely digital.
Sprawl is an issue that crosses all political spectrums. It symbolizes a
design problem and a "progress" ethic that has run amok. The interview with
co-producer Jeff Gersh (of the superb film "Subdivide & Conquer") explores
sprawl and offers design solutions in various cities (see p.17). Donella
Meadows, our very necessary sustainability nationally syndicated columnist
poignantly exposes the myths about sprawl (p.13). Randy Knight reiterates
what the SOAR initiative is all about and warns us about the monied
opposition (p.15). Even Paul Harvey warns us about the developer/builders who
have become so prosperous that they are "buying zoning officials" (p.12).
As typical with HopeDance's mission, we give you solutions rather than
complain about the problems. Social worker Carla Grindle reports on various
sustainability projects that actually work (with numerous web sites and a
bibliography; p.26). Development per se is not the problem. It's how we
develop. Larry Santoyo writes about Village Homes in Davis, CA, a highly
successful sub-division that incorporates many sustainability designs (p.37).
Our own local Oak Creek Common cohousing group writes about their plans to
use less natural resources and more sustainable designs in their new
development in Paso Robles (p.22). Gary Duncan from SmartShelter.com will be
arriving on the Central Coast in November to speak to builders, developers,
and real estate agents to discuss creating a network in California to compete
with the destructive aspects of conventional building (see p.67). And when it
comes to sustaining ourselves in the midst of an overwhelming momentum toward
ecological collapse, Bob Banner reports on a workshop designed to refresh the
batteries of social activists (p.24).

SB LOCATIONS FOR HOPEDANCE MAG
Taffy's Pizza
Vices &Spices
SB Hemp Company
IV Coop
Main Library and
Island Seed & Feed
Goleta Community Center
Paradise Found
Community Environmental Council
Herbal Spirit Path
Pablo's Juices
Copy Cat Coffee
Thrashers Books
Star Alchemy
Natural Cafe in Santa Barbara and Goleta

Pan's Garden Summerland
Pacific Health foods Carpinteria

Rainbow Bridge Natural Foods Market Ojai
Local Hero Bookstore

South Side Cafe Lompoc
Printed Matter      Lompoc

Solvang Public Library