Green Building Parade Saturday & Sunday October 21-22, 2000

Wesley Roe and Marjorie Lakin Erickson lakinroe at silcom.com
Fri Oct 6 08:01:42 PDT 2000

-
                                         Parade of Green Buildings
Saturday & Sunday
October 21-22, 2000

Sponsored by the Sustainability Project and the Santa Barbara Contractors
Association

Come See What’s Green!
Learn About Environmentally Sustainable Design and Construction

When:   Opening Reception
              Friday, October 20, 6:30pm
              Cold Spring School, 2243 Sycamore Canyon Road, Montecito

Guest Speaker, Architect Bruce Fowle (designer of Green Skyscraper Four
Times Square, NYC)

  Tour Green Commercial Buildings
  Saturday, October 21, 10am ­ 4pm

  Tour Green Residential Homes
  Sunday, October 22, 10am ­ 4pm

Cost:     $25.00 ticket for all three days with Shuttle Bus Transportation
or Carpool of 3 or more people or by Bicycle
              $30.00 ticket for all three days for Tour by Private Cars

Tickets: Tickets Available at 3 Branches of Santa Barbara Bank & Trust
              Downtown Main Branch, 20 E. Carrillo Street
              La Cumbre Branch, 3910 State Street
              Goleta Branch, 299 N. Fairview Avenue

For More Information Contact:
David James 965-4962 or Dennis Allen 682-4305

Parade of Green Buildings
Volunteers Needed

The Sustainability Project, a non-profit organization in Santa Barbara, and
the Santa Barbara Contractor’s Association are hosting a "Parade of Green
Buildings" on October 20-22, 2000. The Parade’s goal is to educate the
public on the importance of sustainable architecture by showcasing
buildings in your own town where "green" methods are successfully put to
use. Many of the projects have never publicly been seen and feature the
most up to date conservation and sustainable techniques and systems.

In order to provide our guests with a pleasant and educational experience,
we will need many volunteers on all the sites the days of the event to help
with various hosting duties. We expect the Parade to attract major
community interest, and through volunteering your time you will be able to
share your interest in sustainability and help support a better future.
People of any age and experience are welcome to participate, and all
volunteers will be provided with any information or training needed.

We recognize that your time is valuable, and we request that our volunteers
commit to one shift of four hours on one of the tour days. You are welcome
to contribute additional time and effort. In recognition of your efforts
and great assistance, each volunteer will receive a free ticket (a value of
$30) to tour the Parade.

We request that volunteers be willing to commit to at least one of the
following shifts:
  Saturday, October 21, 9am ­ 1pm  Sunday, October 22, 9am ­ 1pm
  Saturday, October 21, 1pm ­ 5pm  Sunday, October 22, 1pm ­ 5pm

We hope you are interested. If so, please register immediately with April
Wethe using any of the information below. Additionally, please plan to
attend the following volunteer orientation meeting to be held on October 8
from 4-6pm in the David Gebhard room at the Community Development building
at 630 Garden Street (parking available). This meeting will clarify your
responsibilities and provide an overview of the Parade. We look forward to
a great event, the first of many, and want to thank you in advance for
helping to make it a success.

April Wethe T:  805-963-1955
Phillips Metsch Sweeney Moore Architects F: 805-564-8582
2020 Alameda Padre Serra, Suite 220, S. B., CA 93103 april at pmsm-architects.com

Green Building Parade Dinner
Guest Speaker ­ Bruce Fowle
October 23
Earl Warren Showgrounds, 6:30pm

The October 23 dinner will cap off the weekend Green Building Parade
events. Our speaker, Bruce Fowle, will discuss principles and practical
applications of green design. He will discuss hands-on applications,
specific green systems that have worked in construction and the numerous
successful commercial applications in suburban and urban areas that he has
seen. His talk will cover specific materials and why they are successful.
Bruce Fowle, FAIA, is a founding Principal of Fox & Fowle Architects. Long
before the term "green" entered the popular lexicon, Fox & Fowle maintained
a commitment to environmentally responsible design and to the integration
of the principles of sustainable architecture into every aspect of their
professional practice. They have always strived to have their projects be
environmental "good neighbors" that integrate energy conservation measures,
utilize sustainable materials and processes, and maximize natural light and
indoor air quality. They provide a regular program of in-house training
sessions for their staff ­ professionals and support staff alike. All firm
members have the knowledge required to apply the principles of sustainable
architecture within the context of their daily work.
This speaker will be of interest to contractors and architects alike. Some
to learn more about how to implement green building practices into your
projects.
Mini-Green Trade Show
In addition to the dinner speaker, several "Green Building" products will
be displayed for a mini-trade show prior to dinner. Tables are available
for display for $50. Please call the office to reserve a spot.
The October 23 dinner meeting will be held at Warren Hall on the grounds of
Earl Warren Showgrounds (park off Calle Real, walk between the arena and
the dome to the far side). The cost for dinner is $25.00 per person and is
payable at the door. You are encouraged to bring guests, employees and
potential members to this dinner. A no-host bar will be available starting
at 6:30 with dinner served at 7:15.

Please call 964-9175 with your reservation no later than Monday, October 16
or fax this form to the SBCA office at 967-8857. The cost for the dinner
meeting is $25 per person and is payable at the door. Reservations must be
canceled 24 hours in advance to avoid a charge.

Yes, I will be attending the SBCA Green Building Dinner on October 23 at
Earl Warren Showgrounds.

Name
Company
Number Attending