[Ccpg] Community and Sustainability: A weekend conference

ccpg-admin at arashi.com ccpg-admin at arashi.com
Thu May 17 14:09:17 PDT 2001

hi everyone
         the question is asked what is appropriate for a regional
Permaculture Network here on the Coastal California. All I can say is the
Permaculture Community is spread all over USA very thinly. With educational
efforts taking place in some regions but not in others on a ongoing basis.
The South Coast Permaculture Guild
gets many request over the year asking what is happening in our region but
also what is happening in other regions of the USA and World.  the courses
offered in many regions are not happening in ours because of many reasons.
         One, is some areas in the USA have developed Permaculture centers
and Permaculture Ecovillages which has not happened in our area.
         Two, some folks are looking for training in that particular areas
of Permaculture. We are sent postings from all over the world and try to
post the ones that might interest these folks.
         Three, as the SCPG is only 4 years old we have yery few mature
permaculture sites in our region from San Diego to SLO . One of the most
important learnings is seeing long  maturing sites, they will begin to show
you what Permaculture design and design principles are all about. the need
to see a developing patterns in  landscapes  will help you see so much more
than reading a book. As Bill Mollison one the founder of permaculture says
long term observation is one of the most important part of Permaculture.
         Four this listserve was set up as a  means for each regoin of the
SCPG to communicate and discuss Permaculture and related activities plus as
a forum for ongoing education. the Permaculture Design Course is just a
small step that is intended to open your eyes and see the earth with a
different feeling and eyes, but most of us realize this is just a start of
our ongoing education in earth patterns and there interconnections.
Permaculture is a dynamic study to constantly wet your appetite .
         I am only a beginner and this is what I have found out after over
6 years of study, organizing courses , world travel , meeting teachers and
designers and seeing mature sites : while trying to slowly grasp the
principles of Permaculture and to see patterns in the landscapes.
         Hope this answers your questions about postings,
                                         wes roe
ps Earthaven is one of the few Permaculture Design Ecovillages in the USA.
and is dealing with what in Permaculture call the invisible structures the
people stuff and interactions, this what help communities grow in a healthy
caring way.