[Ccpg] sneak preview of new issue on (HopedanceMagazine) Permaculture Nov/Dec 2001

ccpg-admin at arashi.com ccpg-admin at arashi.com
Wed Nov 7 07:39:20 PST 2001

Below is the intro to the Hopedance Permaculture Issue Nov/Dec 2001 by Bob
Banner Publisher www.hopedance.org
							wes
ps this will be a very special look at Permaculture

The new Intro

<<The current crisis is waking people up to the US’s foreign policies, to
its
eagerness to use the grotesque arsenals of death, and its increasing attacks
on our civil liberties. Some of us are courageous enough to look hisotry and
truth in the face in order to come up with genuine answers, not simple
platitudes based on a blind patriotism. Some have been deeply affected by
wars, inequities, natural resource overconsumption and depletion, and the
growing power of transnational corporations chipping away at democratic
policies. Some have turned their lives around to become the paradigm-shift
that we need. Some have become warriors of a different sort. The people
portrayed in this special issue are the new type of warriors. They have been
deeply affected by the world’s suffering for a long time. They have deeply
searched for answers that get to the root of our dilemma. They have turned
“protest against inequities” into a livelihood where joy, peace and
fecundity are in abundance. This is our next step. This is our new vision...
and this is the time for all of us to become acquainted with the world of
Permaculture: a quiet revolution, or as Bill Mollison calls it, “a peaceful
sedition.”
     Even though the ethics, principles, morals and sustainable systems have
been practiced for thousands of years, it wasn’t until Bill Mollison put it
all together that the movement of ecological design and sustainable food
forestry took a quantum leap. Occasionally we published material about
permaculture, but this issue ties it all together.
     Wes Roe and Margie Bushman are the main conspirators behind this effort.
They have succeeded in gathering/harvesting the cream of the crop when it
comes to permaculture news, analyses, resources and outright fun and
inspiring stories.
     We have Scott London’s thought provoking interview with the man
himself,
Bill Mollison (see p.8). We have a condensed summary of the brightest answers
from the permaculture teachers themselves speaking about their own livelihood
(see p.13). We have stories about how permaculture is being done, how it’s
being taught (since it is all over the globe), where its being taught and
where it’s being practiced both locally and globally.
     Toby Hemenway, who journeyed along the west coast this past month giving
talks about permaculture, the home garden type, takes a twist and writes
about “Zone Zero,” ourselves, and how we need to work on ourselves so that
our passionate messages can be heard and felt by more people (p.19). Ben
Haggard writes that sustainable development is not necessarily an oxymoron.
Builders and designers and architects can come together using permaculture
and sustainable design concerns and make it happen (see p.17). Personal
stories begin on page 24. Patch Adams and Susan Parenti talk about using
permaculture ethics in “Designing Care” (p. 27). “Permaculture
Principles as
illustrated by the Permaculture Tree” by David Holmgren is an excerpt from
his newest book (see p.66). And if we are committed to changing the world,
restoring the planet with good design, what do we do with our money, that
blood that can fuel such projects? Vint Lawrence writes about the
Permaculture Credit Union on page 26. A short report on the recent Bioneers
Conference is on page 65. Plus we have a new section for the Santa Cruz
County area. Editor, distributor and permaculturalist Kevin Snorf (and his
cohorts) give us many examples of sustainable projects in this premier
offering (see p.51). Larry Santoyo (see his column on p. 42) will speak after
the upcoming film about Bill Mollison (see ad on p.16).
     More copies of “Voices...” are still available. Give us a call for
details, 805-544-9663. (Subscribers: Contact us if you failed to receive this
issue in the mail.) And another big thank you for the generous donors (and
the writers, distributors, editors...) who came through so we could print
20,000 copies of the special supplement and distribute them freely from Santa
Cruz to Ojai. And please support our advertisers since they support us.   m

Bob Banner, Publisher>>