[Ccpg] Airports and cities: Can they coexist

Wesley Roe and Marjorie Lakin Erickson lakinroe at silcom.com
Thu Jul 11 14:12:29 PDT 2002

Airports and cities: Can they coexist?
http://www.sdearthtimes.com/et0901/et0901s2.html

As highspeed global commerce expands, and demand for air transport
explodes, airports and cities are invading eachother's space in
increasingly hazardous ways. The conventional response is simply to keep
expanding airport capacity. But more imaginative solutions are now needed.

by Ed Ayres

<../Big_GIF_Caps/S_36pt.gif> ome people think the world is flat” says the
voice on the phone a voice I have listened to many times in the past year.

     At first I hear this as a comment on myopic worldviews, but then I
realize it's not just a figure of speech. The man I'm listening to, Jim
Starry, is being droll. He really is talking about geometry. But he's not
referring to sailors who once worried that their ships might sail off the
world's edge. He's ruminating about the people who build airports. Their
runways are flat, and to Starry, a Colorado-based ecological designer, this
doesn't make sense. A flat runway forces the 425-ton jet that is landing on
it to throw its engines into reverse and burn a huge amount of fuel to come
to a stop, he says. Imagine, instead, a landing strip that is slightly
inclined so that as the plane touches down it decelerates by rolling up a
2- to 3-percent grade.

     Imagine that the plane, too, has been given a couple of key design
changes. First, just before touchdown, a set of electric motors begins
pre-rotating the wheels so that when the plane lands it won't encounter the
huge, rubber-pulverizing friction that occurs when a motionless wheel hits
pavement at 130 miles per hour. Then, as wing lift is transformed to wheel
load, these electric motors begin functioning as generators, using the
forward momentum of the plane the way a hydroelectric plant uses a river
current. By tapping the energy of the plane's momentum, they slow the plane
without any further reliance on fuel to produce reverse thrust and recharge
the batteries that will later power them as motors at takeoff. As the plane
rolls up the incline, the gravity-assisted braking brings it to a halt
directly atop a 3-kilometer-long, multistory terminal. Unlike a
conventional landing, which typically ends at a place that necessitates a
10-minute, jet-powered crawl to a distant gate, this plane needs only to
roll under battery power for a half-minute or so to a gate where its
passengers can alight directly into the building below. When it's time to
depart, the plane heads back down the other side of the incline, relying
initially on its electric motors for acceleration, then switching on its
turbines as the slope gently rounds to a level stretch for liftoff.

     Supposing such changes are technically feasible, what would be
achieved? First, if the plane is a typical Boeing 747, about 4,000
kilograms less jet fuel would be burned for each landing and takeoff
roughly 300 gallons of fuel for deceleration, 300 for takeoff, and 300-plus
for all the taxiing around large expanses of tarmac in between. (Building
the runway like an elongated highway overpass, with the terminal underneath
it, would eliminate miles of taxiways and cut down on the airport's use of
land, as well as of fuel.) This adds up quickly, because a typical major
airport accommodates around 1,000 flights a day meaning a potential daily
savings of close to 1 million gallons of fuel from that airport alone.
There would also be a substantial reduction of noise, which has become a
cause of rising tensions as growing cities and their airports become jammed
closer and closer together in the same space.

     These differences could turn out to be critical, because airports
often celebrated for their futuristic architecture and technology have
turned out to be surprisingly damaging in their effects on human and
ecological health. And, in the past few years, their impacts have taken a
turn for the worse. In the first two minutes after a 747 takes off, it
emits as much air pollution as 3,000 cars, says a study by the Natural
Resources Defense Council (NRDC). People living or working near airports
have been found to suffer sharply increased rates of psychological
impairment, degenerative illness, and mortality. Hundreds of grass-roots
groups now say it's time to rethink the way we let these giant machines
roar in and out of our populated areas.
<Runway.jpg>

Could slightly inclined runways ­ uphill for landing, downhill for takeoff
­ save fuel and reduce emissions? Jim Starry’s runways would pass over the
terminal and facilities, like a long highway overpass, also reducing the
distance planes have to taxi. The airport would require far less land than
in conventional designs.

An obsolescent mindset

     Jim Starry isn't just talking about a new kind of runway. To him, the
whole mindset that has created the modern major-hub airport doesn't make
sense. It's a mindset based on an almost never-questioned assumption that
the solution to rapidly increasing demand for air travel is to provide an
ever-increasing supply of land, fuel, and air space. As a result, in its
total impact on climate, ecology, and health, today's mega-airport may be
one of the most ill-conceived forms of large-scale infrastructure humankind
has ever devised yet it is also one of the least accountable.

     Moreover, airports are both multiplying and expanding at a
breathtaking rate. In the past few years, huge new airports have appeared
all over the world from Denver to Abu Dhabi to Bangkok. Constructing such
an airport is not on the same scale as building a new office tower or
highway; it's more like building a city. In China, 18 new airports are
under construction and another 21 will have been built by 2005. In Mexico,
20 new airports are planned just for the Baja peninsula. Major airport
expansions, which in some respects create even more urban strains than new
“green fields” airports carved out of virgin land, are underway in hundreds
of cities or suburbs. In the United States alone, the recently enacted
Airport Reform and Investment Act for the 21st Century (socalled AIR-21)
will subsidize runway expansions or additions at 2,000 airports. New York's
heavily congested La Guardia, for example, will increase its capacity by
600 flights per day. In much of Asia, the pressure to expand is even
greater. By 1998, Manila's Ninoy Aquino Airport was operating at twice the
capacity it was designed for, and Taipei's Kaohsiung Airport at more than
three times capacity. Several Pacific Rim governments have embarked on a
kind of airport arms race, as they attempt not only to accommodate
skyrocketing traffic, but to establish their respective claims to having
the preeminent “hub” airport of the region.

     As Starry ruminates, I become conscious of a distinction I hadn't much
thought about before: the difference between air travel and airports. Over
the past decade or so, air transport has been increasingly recognized as an
environmental threat. It accounts for an estimated 13 percent of the
world's carbon dioxide emissions from all transportation sources, and its
emissions of this primary greenhouse gas are expected to grow sharply in
the years ahead. Moreover, carbon dioxide, combined with other exhaust
gases and particulates emitted from jet engines, could have two to four
times as great an impact on the atmosphere as CO2 emissions alone, says a
recent US government study. Jet contrails have also been implicated in the
development of enormous heat-trapping clouds, which may be escalating the
planes' impacts on climate. The exhaust from a single plane may spread to
cover as much as 34,000 square kilometers (13,000 square miles). For each
passenger on a trans-Pacific flight, about a ton of CO2 is added to the
earth's atmosphere. By 2050, says the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate
Change (IPCC), the contribution by contrails may be almost twice as large
as the contribution from aircraft CO2.

     But Jim Starry notes that jets are at their worst, by far, when they
are on the ground landing, idling, getting de-iced, taxiing, or taking off.
Because airports are designed as they are, most airplanes spend a large
part of their working life doing those things. At Denver International, for
example, up to 23 planes may be running at “high idle” simultaneously,
waiting for takeoff, and some wait up to 40 minutes. In the air, planes
produce all that CO2 because they're burning fuel so prodigiously. On the
ground, jet engines operate at extremely poor efficiency and the fuel is
burned very incompletely. Instead of being converted to energy, vapor, and
carbon dioxide, huge amounts of fuel are blown into the ground-level air in
the form of carbon particulates and volatile organic compounds (VOCs).
Starry thinks airports could be designed so that the bulk of that
low-efficiency combustion and pollution is eliminated.

     When he first suggested this, I was reflexively skeptical. To begin
with, Starry didn't have the credentials one would like to see from someone
who's about to challenge a dominant system. He's always been an outsider a
pilot who has flown thousands of hours, to be sure, and a technician who
did some inventive work designing high-attitude balloon launching devices
for the National Science Foundation's National Center for Atmospheric
Research (NCAR). But Starry has never been a prominent player in the world
of aeronautic or architectural engineering. It took me a while to decide
that this aptly named man might not be just another of those hyper-educated
dreamers who live in the twilight between technology and society, trying
haplessly to provide world-changing solutions. Eventually, though, I
realized he might be on to something I'd been largely oblivious to. When
I'm in an airport, I'm in a kind of twilight zone of my own, my thoughts
dwelling on either the place I'm coming from or the place I'm going to. The
airport itself doesn't seem quite real. But as I listen to Starry, my focus
shifts.
<Runway2.jpg>

The building under the runways could be several kilometers long, rising as
high as eight or ten stories at the center where the terminal gates are
located. Radiated heat from the building would warm the runway in winter,
improving safety and reducing the use of de-icing chemicals that pollute
groundwater.

<Runway3.jpg>

Starry’s idea for an efficient runway includes a slightly convex shape from
side to side ­ helping both to center the plane as it lands and to protect
it from crosswinds. The runway might be wider at the beginning, then narrow
gradually as it approaches the terminal stop.

Pollution in high places

     Starry tells me about Denver International Airport (DIA) a subject he
returns to again and again in our conversations. When the site was being
prepared in the early 1990s, the amount of soil bulldozed off the prairie
could have filled a building 10 feet high, 20 feet wide, and 3,000 miles
long. The ostensible reason for constructing DIA was to replace Denver's
Stapleton Airport, where air traffic was projected to explode from around
35 million passengers in 1985 to 100 million in the early 21st century.
During the five years after this rationale was first offered, Stapleton's
traffic declined by 5 million passengers, but the new airport was built
anyway. Today, instead of driving 11 kilometers (7 miles) from downtown
Denver to Stapleton, people drive 57 kilometers (32 miles) to DIA. Denver
officials estimated that the amount of air pollution generated by the new
airport and its added traffic was six to eight times what had been
generated before. And this project was not unique. What happened in
Colorado is now beginning to happen all over the world. Seoul's new Incheon
Airport is about 60 kilometers from downtown, as are the two international
airports outside Buenos Aires. Kuala Lumpur International is 66 kilometers out.

     Watching the building of DIA got Jim Starry to thinking more seriously
about the old assumption that the only satisfaction for fast-rising demand
is a rising supply. He saw manifestations of this assumption on several
fronts of our globalizing economy. In the energy industry, the impulse is
to drill for more oil, rather than to use existing supplies much more
efficiently. In waste management, the impulse is to find more space to
dump. In housing, it's to develop more land, rather than design for higher
density on the land already claimed for human use. All these impulses are
vestiges of pioneer times, when it was always possible to find more
resources by moving on, opening up new territory.

     Airports epitomize all three of these resource fronts: they consume
land, energy, and dumping capacity at rates rarely equaled anywhere else.
Denver is a telling case, because as one of the world's newest
mega-airports, it was supposed to be among the most efficient. But instead,
DIA seems to have set new standards for excessive consumption. It covers
138 square kilometers (53 square miles), which makes it twice the size of
New York City's Manhattan Island. It has greatly increased the region's
overall oil consumption; it has increased the time and money travelers
spend, even before they get on their planes (it has one of the worst
on-time records in the nation); and it has accelerated Denver's spread over
the Colorado prairie.

     As Starry speaks, I'm well aware that this is the kind of thing many
people don't like to hear. I'm listening because it's my job to try to keep
track of such things. But I'm acutely conscious that we environmentalists
have failed, so far, in our mission to halt the accelerating degradation of
the planet. In the 30 years since the first Earth Day, every major trend
has worsened on a global level. And now I'm hearing about something we have
never paid much attention to, because it hasn't fallen into our
conventional environmental categories. We study cities and suburbs,
agricultural land and wildlife habitat. But airports aren't really any of
these. We study green building techniques, but those techniques usually
focus on houses and hotels and office buildings, not airports. We've
studied the contribution of jet aircraft to air pollution as a function of
miles traveled, but not as a result of landing and idling and taking off.
Yet, we know these ground-level effects are substantial. Gar Smith, of the
Earth Island Institute, reports that, in the first five minutes of flight,
a commercial airliner burns (turns to CO2) as much oxygen as 17,000
hectares (44,000 acres) of forest produce in a day.

     But even more significant than what the plane burns is what it
poisons. Studies of neighborhoods near airports such as Chicago's O'Hare
and Seattle's Sea-Tac have shown that jet exhaust is subjecting residents
to extremely high concentrations of the carcinogens benzene, formaldehyde,
1,3-butadiene, and at least 200 other toxic compounds. According to Jack
Saporito, president of the Chicago-based US Citizens Aviation Watch, these
studies also indicate that significant increases in cancer risk are found
among people living near airports with as few as 15 jet flights per day.
Yet, most major cities launch hundreds, and some of them where there's more
than one major airport launch thousands.

     Of course, many of those flights and their accompanying cargo have
brought important benefits. They've helped bring the world together. But in
replacing no-man's lands with busy tarmac, they've brought a new set of
threats. For the sake of mental neatness, I divide these threats into five
broad categories, though in truth they're not entirely separable it's a
little like trying to separate the risks of overeating, under-exercising,
smoking, and breathing polluted air in a man who's a
heart-attack-waiting-to-happen.

1. Land consumption:The biggest sprawl of all

     Chicago's O'Hare Airport sits on the site of former apple orchards.
The St. Louis airport was once soybean fields. DIA is where winter wheat
was once grown. China's Macau International spans two ecologically
sensitive wetlands. You'd think that as the human population expands, and
development consumes more and more of the world's remaining open land,
airport planners would design with increasing efficiency. Instead, as old
airports add new runways, planners continue to use the same basic
principles they've always used, and new airports tend to be more sprawling
than the old. Denver's new DIA is 50 times the size of New York's old La
Guardia, though they carry comparable traffic. The new Kuala Lumpur
International, when finished, will be 30 times the area of the old Osaka
Itami. Germany's new Munich Franz Josef Straus is 5 times the area of
Norway's old Oslo Gardermoen.

     The problem is not just that these huge projects cut sharply into each
country's declining environmental assets; they also disrupt existing
infrastructure, which increases the pressure on the surrounding environment
still further. The impending expansion of Lambert-St. Louis International,
for example, will bulldoze one-fifth of the adjoining neighborhood of
Bridgeton, wiping out 2,000 houses. If the relocation of those houses'
residents follows recent US patterns, their new homes will take up even
more land than the airport is taking from them, as they move farther out to
larger, cheaper tracts.

<FigureY.gif>

2. Air pollution: Autos and airplanes

     For the moment, disregard the emissions of airplanes in flight.
Consider just what happens at ground level. According to the US Department
of Transportation (DOT), a Boeing 747 spends an average of 32 minutes
landing, taxiing, and taking off. In that time, it can generate 87
kilograms of nitrogen oxides (NOX) equivalent to over 85,000 kilometers of
automobile emissions. In a major international airport, with 1,000 flights
a day, that would come to 87 metric tons of NOX a day, or roughly the
amount that might be produced by all the cars in a city of 2 or 3 million
people. NOX, of course, is one of the principal precursors of smog.

     Of course, not all of the planes in a big airport are 747s, so actual
NOX totals should be smaller. And indeed, a 1995 survey conducted by NRDC,
in which US airports offered their own estimates, reported NOX emissions
topping out at around 5 tons a day for a major airport though it should be
noted that this figure is based only on the data from those airports that
responded, which included fewer than half of those contacted. Still, 5 tons
equals the NOX output of close to 5 million kilometers (about 3 million
miles) of automobile driving, and the average number of flights handled by
a major airport appears likely to have tripled from its 1995 level by 2010.
As population growth and globalization continue to drive up air traffic,
while competing demands for land continue to narrow the ground-level
bottlenecks through which all this traffic must flow, the amount of idling
and taxiing time is likely to grow well beyond that 32-minute average. It
is during this idling and taxiing that fuel efficiency is poorest, so as
traffic rises, pollution can be expected to rise even faster.

     Public knowledge of what happens to our air in airports has been
blocked, not only by a lack of any systematic monitoring, but sometimes
also by a lack of candor about the meaning of the few measurements that are
made. Consider, for example, the role of particulate matter (PM)
measurements in the approval of Denver International. When DlA was being
designed, its particulate matter emissions were projected by using a “PM10”
standard, which counted all the particles that are 10 microns in diameter
or larger (a micron is one-millionth of a meter). According to Gerald Rapp,
a chemical engineer who works as an air quality consultant, 99 percent of
the particulates spewed out by jet engines are smaller than 10 microns,
meaning that the actual PM output was up to 100 times worse than the
measurements suggested. “A 10-micron particle is a boulder,” Rapp told me.
“What's important biologically, for human health, are the really small
ones. Tobacco smoke is a tenth to a quarter of one micron.”

     When DIA was first proposed, the city of Denver opposed it. In 1983,
the city residents elected a new mayor, Federico Pefia, who had said he saw
no reason why a new airport was needed. “In terms of access, convenience,
and land-use impacts, development of a new regional airport represents an
inferior choice,” he said. A study by the city projected that, with the
huge increase in car driving it would bring, DIA would generate 224 tons of
air pollution per day, including NOX, PM, unburned hydrocarbons, and carbon
monoxide. This projection did not include carbon dioxide, since global
warming had not yet arrived as a political issue.

     Shortly after he was elected, however, Pefia became an enthusiastic
DIA booster. He championed the project with federal authorities, who were
interested in supporting a model project to show how new airports could
improve urban air quality by dissipating the pollution by moving the flight
paths farther from cities. And the particulate projections for Denver
neatly supported that idea. By not measuring the smaller-than-10-micron
particles, and disregarding the emissions from the 33 million
passenger-miles of daily airport commuting, Pefia would later be able to
claim that his project had cleaned up the air in Denver, which in a narrow
sense it had. But for the region as a whole, DIA made the air worse.
Nonetheless, Pefia's claim of success helped catapult him into the job of
US Secretary of Transportation in the Clinton administration, and DIA, in
turn, became a model for airport building around the world.

3. Water pollution:Off the edge of the tarmac

     In the United States, little has been written about the impacts of
airports on the surrounding land and water, in part because of the
aforementioned “neither-here-nor-there” quality of such projects, and in
part because only one major new urban airport (DIA) has been built in the
United States since the enactment of the National Environmental Policy Act
of 1969, which made environmental assessments mandatory. While a number of
“regional” airports have been built since then, their more rural locations
have allowed their environmental assessments to largely escape public notice.

     In the assessment for Denver International, it seems there was never
any doubt that the project would be approved. In the 550-page book Denver
International Airport: Lessons Learned , by Paul Stephen Dempsey
(McGrawHill, 1997), the first reference to any environmental issue appears
in this sentence: “By late summer 1989, the first federal funding
installment ($60 million) was received, the FAA approved the final
environmental impact statement , and groundbreaking on the project occurred
on September 28, 1989.” (Italics added.) The book includes little mention
of environmental issues involving DIA, and none at all of water pollution.

     For Jim Starry, this is a dumbfounding omission. “Look at what
happened with de-icing,” he says. “When ice forms on planes, as happens
often in Colorado, workers remove it with ethylene glycol. At Stapleton,
they were using 51 million gallons a year, and most of it ran off into the
ground.” By then, Starry had left NCAR and was running his own
environmental design firm. When city officials invited him to present his
design ideas for the proposed new airport, he suggested building a set of
containment ponds to catch the ethylene glycol for recycling. The idea was
adopted, though he was never either credited for it or paid for his
consulting. (Bill Smith, the assistant mayor who invited him, died before
the project got underway, and his successor seems to have pushed Starry out
of the picture.) After the ponds were built and the airport began
operation, however, a curious thing happened. According to Starry, one of
the owners of a major airline company that was being heavily courted by DIA
(none of the major carriers wanted the new airport), was also the
contractor who had been selling ethylene glycol to Stapleton. At DIA, with
the ponds catching the fluid for recycling, there was no need to buy so
much of it until one day the ponds were fitted with a 3-foot-diameter pipe
that carried the used antifreeze about two miles and dumped it into Barr Lake.

     “Now, you can fish in Barr Lake year-round, even when all the other
lakes in Colorado are frozen,” says Starry. He pauses thoughtfully. “But
you won't catch any fish.”

     DIA's antifreeze management, it seems, was not atypical. In the
mid-1990s, US Citizens Aviation Watch (US-CAW) sued Baltimore-Washington
Airport (BWI) for allowing its de-icing chemicals to enter an aquifer from
which the people of Anne Arundel County get their drinking water. In
Michigan, state environmental officials recently cited Wayne County for
allowing ethylene glycol from Metro Airport to be discharged into a drain
that empties into the Detroit River. And it's not just in de-icing country
that airports pose threats to water quality. In Florida, Miami-Dade County
has just filed the largest environmental lawsuit in the state's history,
citing American Airlines, Delta Airlines, and 15 other companies for
dumping airplane fuel, solvents, and other toxic chemicals into the ground
around Miami International Airport, where they have seeped into the
county's only drinking water source. But so far, the problem of airports
leaking or dumping their multifarious fluids has remained largely below the
radar so to speak of public scrutiny. Saporito notes that US-CAW won its
suit against BWI, but the contamination continues. Holding tanks are still
leaking ethylene glycol and other chemicals into the aquifer, and people in
Maryland continue to drink it.

4. Noise: The psychological pollution

     The scream of jets of fuel igniting and turbine blades striking the
air as planes take off has become the most noticeable of the environmental
impacts of airports worldwide, for obvious reasons. Whereas the effects of
contaminated air or water may take years to emerge, airplane noise produces
instant irritation. As both cities and airports expand, more and more
people find themselves living under the flight paths of ascending jets.
Only in the past decade have planners begun to react. In the Netherlands,
for example, a 1979 study found that 42,000 homes were being subjected to
severe noise from Amsterdam's Schiphol Airport; in 1990, Schiphol adopted a
plan to reduce the impact by noise-insulating some houses and relocating
others, and by curtailing night operations. At Paris's Orly, a night curfew
has been imposed, and noisier aircraft are required to pay higher taxes. In
at least a few places (Osaka, Hong Kong, Seoul), officials have mitigated
both noise and land scarcity by filling coastal wetlands or bays so that
flight paths go over water instead of homes.

     In the United States, where suburbanization has caused the most
extensive friction, irritation over noise has spurred the formation of
scores of grass-roots groups opposing airport expansion projects. In
Seattle, a citizens' group called the Regional Commission on Airport
Affairs has mobilized to stop the building of a third runway at Sea-Tac
Airport, claiming that “the only plan for mitigation of noise from the new
runway is to buy more nearby houses,” and that “this provides no relief for
the tens of thousands who will be newly exposed to overflight noise in
neighborhoods miles from the airport.” In California, a group called
Citizens Against Airport Pollution (CAAP) is suing to stop expansion of San
Jose International Airport because the project “would cause traffic
gridlock and lead to more air and noise pollution.” Similar groups have
formed to fight noise at New York's La Guardia, Chicago's O'Hare, Los
Angeles International, and St. Louis's Lambert-St. Louis International,
among others. It was a national coalition of such groups that gave rise to
Saporito's organization, which now has 1.5 million members. “There are
expansion plans coming up everywhere, and you just can't roll over the
objecting communities anymore,” says Dennis McGram, who heads a national
coalition called NOISE the National Organization to Insure a
Sound-controlled Environment.

5. Impacts on health

     There's a NOMBYish (not over my back yard) quality to the political
battles being fought over airports and their adjacent communities: many
people like the commercial boost an airport can bring, and like the
convenience of having ready access to air travel, but don't want planes
roaring over their homes. Many of the battles have featured accusations by
one neighborhood that it is being used as a dumping ground for noise being
diverted from another, more politically connected and vocal neighborhood.
“They Complain, We Get the Planes!” read one recent website headline. “How
Our Neighbors to the North Screwed Us,” said another. In some cases the
tug-of-war has become an environmental justice issue, with flight paths
tending to be located over the city's poorest neighborhoods. But in the
long run, these local concerns may be subsumed by a more pervasive one: the
emerging realization that airports may affect the health of anyone living
within about a 20-mile radius. In the United States today, 70 percent of
the population lives within 20 miles of a major airport.

     As reported by Sharon Skolnick of the Earth Island Institute, the
State of Washington's Health Department Census, which compared 1991-1995
health data for people living near Sea-Tac Airport with those of Seattle
residents overall, found that “infant mortality near the airport was 50
percent greater, heart disease was 57 percent greater, cancer deaths were
36 percent greater.” For people living near the airport, overall life
expectancy was found to be 5.6 years shorter. That's not to say we know
airport-generated pollution was the cause (or more likely one of several
causes), but it suggests that far more attention to that possibility is now
warranted. In Chicago, a similar pattern was found, as people living near
O'Hare Airport had cancer rates 70 percent higher than those for Chicago
overall.

     One of the newer and more alarming findings concerns the effects of
noise. Apparently, the complaints of groups like NOISE are not just matters
of frayed nerves or disrupted sleep. In Germany, when the new Munich
airport went into operation, a study of third- and fourth-grade children
living in the flight path found significant increases in blood pressure and
stress hormones, compared with a similar group of children living in the
same area before the airport began operation. “These hormones are linked to
adult illnesses, some of which are life-threatening, including high blood
pressure, elevated lipids and cholesterol, heart disease, and reduction in
the body's supply of disease-fighting immune cells,” noted the report.

     The Munich study, conducted by the Cornell University College of Human
Ecology, also found that the children subjected to flight-path noise did
not learn to read as well, because they tended to tune out speech. “This is
probably the most definitive proof that noise causes stress and is harmful
to humans,” said Gary Evans, a professor of design and environmental
analysis at Cornell.

The physics of catching a ball

     Listening to Jim Starry talk about ethylene glycol in Barr Lake, I
feel a certain frustration, because I have come to empathize with the
public reaction: “Everything causes cancer now, and everything is killing
the environment. What can I do about it?” I sense that Starry is frustrated
too, but not because of a lack of solutions. He has a solution that makes
intuitive sense and is clearly worth pursuing getting funding for
feasibility studies, and perhaps pilot projects but people aren't taking it
seriously.

     I question him more closely about his central concept the inclined
runway. Has the idea ever been tried?

     He laughs. “Lots of airports have runways that are inclined because
that was just the lay of the land when they built them,” he says.
“Telluride, Colorado has a 4-percent grade. Aspen has a 112-foot dip. Oh,
yes a big airport in Nepal has a 15-percent incline. We've just never done
it on purpose, taken advantage of what it could save in fuel, if we did it
systematically.”

     How about the pilots? Do they have a problem with it?

     “No. But pilots are not allowed to have input into runway design.
Pilots would actually find it easier, because as you land, you can see the
whole runway ahead, like when you're driving and you see the road ahead
going up a hill. On a flat, the heat waves often distort visibility you get
that shimmer, and sometimes you can't see all the way down the runway.”

     He recalls the time a captain at Gurnsy airbase in Wyoming invited him
to video a C130 landing on an incline. It went smoothly, although Starry
was so transfixed by what he was seeing through the camera that he almost
got run over by the plane.

     What about the terminal? I understand that having the runway pass over
it eliminates most of the taxiing, but are there any other advantages or
disadvantages?

     “Think again about the de-icing,” he replies. “With the whole airport
complex built under the runways, the fuel could be kept underground, at 58
degrees. Instead of filling the wing tanks with fuel that's been stored in
freezing trucks, it would go into the planes warm, so the wings would
usually have no need to be de-iced in the first place. Then think of ice on
the runway. The heat radiating from the terminal's roof melts the ice on
the runway overhead, which is good for safety. Then there's the energy
conservation of a complex where all the buildings are combined into one,
and where it's all insulated by earthen embankment. The whole airport could
be built on one-third the land, at one-half the cost, with lower operating
cost, and a cleaner environment which also means the airlines and other
airportrelated businesses could operate a lot more profitably. It's like
designing a city, really; the more compact design is more energy-efficient,
more materials-efficient, and more pleasant to be in.”

     Starry has clearly thought this concept through, and I feel a growing
curiosity about its implications. As an editor at Worldwatch, I've long
been wary of technological solutions to problems caused primarily by poor
judgement or confused values. There are the sobering lessons we've learned
about pesticides the 1950s PR photos of kids smiling happily as they play,
free of fear from mosquitos, in a protective cloud of DDT. There's the PR
mail I get every week or so from Los Alamos National Laboratory, about its
latest proposed technological fix for humankind. But Starry's proposal
intrigues me, not because it's new technology but because it seems to be a
more intelligent way of using techniques we humans have had all along. I
wondered how long it has been since Homo sapiens has known how to cup his
hand to catch a ball instead of trying to catch it with the hand held flat.

     But if his concept has real potential, why don't people listen? Starry
is a gentle person, and doesn't like to blame. He prefers to say the
problem is that no one is in charge of the airport system, and it turns out
there's some truth in this. On a micro level, someone controls every
movement the air traffic controllers directing the planes in the air, the
security guards monitoring your luggage and your pockets. But on a macro
level, when it comes to planning and building, there seems to be no place
where the buck stops. In the United States, FAA guidelines tell builders to
limit runways to a maximum slope of 1.58 percent, but no one seems to be
able to explain why. It's like the “least common denominator” standards of
product safety or quality in commerce, which provide a level playing field
for all jurisdictions, but which some jurisdictions complain about because
it may prevent them from adopting their own, higher, standards. Airplane
pilots, wherever they may be landing, understandably like some degree of
uniformity in runway design. And because airports are used by all nations,
governments can't impose unilateral regulations on them to the extent they
might on their strictly domestic operations. So airport administrations
have become worlds unto themselves quasi-independent, and fully accountable
to no one. I find myself wondering if this lack of accountability isn't a
manifestation of the same mental compartmentalization that shackles so much
of our thinking so that, for example, public health agencies enforce
no-smoking rules in airport terminals, but have no say in runway design,
which may account for vastly larger differences in the amounts of
carcinogens to which people in airports are subjected. According to NCAR,
each gallon of jet fuel burned pollutes over 8,400 gallons of air to a
level of toxicity that would be dangerous, if not lethal, to breathe. The
only reason we're not seeing it kill anyone is that it's so rapidly
dispersed through the atmosphere. But how long can a finite atmosphere
continue to absorb it?

     In any case, jet pollution isn't regulated the way car exhaust is. In
the United States, legal loopholes have left airports exempt from either
reporting to the Toxic Release Inventory or regulation under the Clean Air
Act. And when US Aviation Watch sued Baltimore-Washington International for
its contamination of drinking water, Saporito says that “EPA was so
out-of-the-loop that they had to come to us to find out what was going on.
That's scary.”

The boy who flew backward ... but remembered to keep looking ahead
<../ET_Com_Graph/Article_link_mid.jpg>

     Still, it seems that the biggest reason why people don't pay attention
to the environmental damage done by large airports and to the kind of
remedies proposed by people like Jim Starry is neither administrative
buck-passing nor corruption. Rather, it's that blind spot about supply-side
solutions. For most people, airport dysfunction still seems to be just a
matter of passenger crowding and delays. Even in terms of passenger
capacity, the usual view is narrow considering only how to expand the
numbers of runways and flights, not how to either reduce demand or make
supply more energy- and land-efficient.

     Two recent accounts illustrate this tunnel vision. A 2000 Consumer
Reports review of US airports, ostensibly considering all major factors in
consumers' interests, concludes that the solution is to build more outlying
airports. Noting that 635 million passengers flew on US carriers in 1999,
with a projected increase to 1 billion by 2010, the authors argue that the
answer is “public policy that equitably provides easier access to the
skies,” and that, as new airports are planned for locations farther and
farther from city centers, “the increasing availability of alternative
arrival and departure points for air travel doesn't come a moment too soon.”

     A front page article in USA Today (September 12, 2000) comes to
essentially the same conclusion. “Can gridlock be cured by expanding
airports?” asks the headline. And a subhead answers: “Using alternative
sites may be a better solution.” The story goes on to suggest that the
money being spent to add new runways to large-hub airports would be better
invested by building more new airports in outlying areas “where land is
cheaper and the population more welcoming.” Both publications thus echo the
prevailing 19th-century notion that the way to get rid of any kind of
congestion whether of people, traffic, or waste is simply to remove it to a
more open space.

     But this is the same primrose path that led to suburban sprawl. By
looking only at the profitability of new tracts, versus the redesign of
cities, we missed the costs of destroying habitat, paving over farmland,
increasing per capita energy consumption, and so on. But the proliferation
of new runways and access roads isn't just a parallel phenomenon; it's an
escalation of sprawl. New airports almost invariably mean major new roads
and additional developments along those roads.

     Breaking this kind of vicious circle will require looking at
efficiency, not just in the narrow way airlines do when they try to fly
without empty seats, but in the broad way that considers how much energy is
consumed by the whole system. An airport that reduces congestion on the
runways and in the air by moving out from the city isn't necessarily more
efficient if it requires hundreds of millions of passenger miles of added
driving each year, as does DIA. A project that makes people use more energy
may boost local business and add to GNP, but ecologically it moves us
backwards.

     Jim Starry says he knows what it's like to fly backwards and it's a
scary feeling. Here, again, he's not speaking figuratively. One time when
he was in high school, he deliberately slowed the plane he was flying a J3
cub that he and a friend had rebuilt to stalling speed, as part of a
training exercise. The stalling speed of the J3 is 30 miles per hour.
Flying into a head wind of 50 miles per hour, “I was actually flying
backwards at 20 mph,” he recalls. “I was 18 years old what can I say?” Now
older and more circumspect, he doesn't like the idea of unnecessary risk on
either a personal or societal level. There are better ways to find thrills,
and one of the best is to allow for more imaginative, more out-of-the-box
thinking about how to solve some of the world's most threatening problems.

     Starry's solutions don't solve the problem of sprawl, but they help to
redirect consciousness in an important way. They show that innovative
design in runways, terminals, and airplanes can provide nondestructive
substitutes for new jet fuel supplies or numbers of flights. In doing so,
they may also help attune us to the idea that airport design is becoming an
increasingly important part of the larger issue of urban design. That, in
turn, is critical to determining how our increasingly congested and
restless human population can adapt successfully to the limitations of its
fast-shrinking planet. <../ET_Com_Graph/ET_EOT.gif>

     Ed Ayres is editor of WORLD WATCH and editorial director of the
Worldwatch Institute.

     The Worldwatch Institute is dedicated to fostering an environmentally
sustainable society in which human needs are met in ways that do not
threaten the health of the natural environment or the prospects of future
generations. Worldwatch Institute, 1776 Massachusetts Ave., NW, Washington,
D.C. 20036-1904; (202) 452-1999; email worldwatch at worldwatch.org; website
www.worldwatch.org.

For further information

Paul Stephen Dempsey, Airport Planning and Development Handbook,
McGraw-Hill, 1999 provides perspectives on land-use impacts of major
airports worldwide.
Paul Stephen Dempsey, et al., Denver International Airport: Lessons
Learned, McGraw-Hill, 1997 tells the story of the world's most severe case
of airport sprawl.
Natural Resources Defense Council, “Flying Off Course: Environmental
Impacts of America's Airports,” October 1996, surveys 125 of the busiest US
airports. Contact: www.nrdc.org.
Cornell University College of Human Ecology studied impacts of airport
noise on children's health and development in Munich, Germany. See
Psychological Science, January 1998.
The Ozone Secretariat, United Nations Environment Programme, “Special
Report on Aviation and the Global Atmosphere l9th OEWG,” June 1999 assesses
current and projected impacts of aircraft emissions. See
www.unep.org/ozone/index-en.shtml.
US Citizens Aviation Watch is a coalition of regional citizens' groups
concerned with the noise, pollution, and land-use impacts of airport
expansions. Contact: www.us-caw.org; or call Jack Saporito, (847) 506670