[Ccpg] Occidental Arts and Ecology Center: 2003 Courses

Wesley Roe and Marjorie Lakin Erickson lakinroe at silcom.com
Sun Jan 12 08:58:59 PST 2003

To all friends of the Occidental Arts and Ecology Center:

   With solstice just passed and the light beginning to return, what better
time to
   send to you our little glimmer of light-- OAEC's 2003 schedule!

   We have developed some interesting new courses and events for 2003­ a brief
   highlighting of those follows.  Then we have a listing of all courses
and events
   for the year.  A complete listing and description of all courses and
events can
   be found on our website at www.oaec.org.  Our full catalogue will be
mailed in
   late February.There is a Registration Form available on this website
that can be printed out and filled in by
   hand, or call (707) 874-1557 or e-mail inquiry at oaec.org to receive a
form in the mail.

NEW EVENTS

   Seed Saver Gathering
   Sunday March 23, 9am — 5pm

   This invitational event will bring together school and community
gardeners and
   food security organizers who are working to maintain our heritage of
   agricultural biodiversity. The day will include a presentation on the
political
   and economic context for this work, practical seed saving techniques, a seed
   exchange, and time to network and discuss strategies for action with
other seed
   savers and gardeners. For more information and an application, please
contact
   Renata Brillinger (ext. 222).

   Chautauqua
   Saturday July 26, 8pm
   Come help us bring up the lights for our inaugural Chautauqua! In the
spirit of
   the rural Chautauqua tradition, we will present an outdoor theatre verité of
   storytelling, historical characterization, local news, music, funny
bits, and of
   course, milk and cookies. Space is limited, so advance ticket purchase is
   encouraged. Call extension 4 for ticket information.

   $10 in advance, $12 at the door

   Biodiversity Tasting
   Sunday September 14, 2pm to 5pm

   Come sample from OAEC’s treasure box of diversity. Thousands of heirloom
   varieties have been collected and grown in the Mother Garden during its
29-year
   history. Hear about the ways our food system is being threatened by genetic
   engineering and industrial agriculture, and join the discussion about
   sustainable alternatives. You will taste a rainbow of our favorite tomato
   varieties, a dozen different pestos made of basils from around the
world, a wide
   array of scrumptious stir-fried greens, and a bountiful "confetti" salad
mix.
   Come enjoy the Fall beauty of the land and gardens.

   $20 if pre-registered; $25 at the door

   NEW COURSES

   Fire in the Landscape: An Ecological and Community-Based Approach to
Restoration
   and Fire Safety
   Brock Dolman, Carol Nieukirk and Kathleen Kraft, with guest instructors
   October 24—27
   This workshop is a collaboration between OAEC, Oceansong Farm and Wilderness
   Center, and the California Native Grass Association. Training topics will
   include fire ecology, indigenous environmental knowledge, watershed
health, fire
   plans, community organizing, local economic development, and funding
   opportunities. The training will include a prescribed burn of perennial
bunch
   grass prairie. Enrollment by application process.

   Introduction to Natural Plasters, Paints and Pigments
   Janine Björnson and Kate Lundquist
   July 4- 6
   You will learn to make and apply a variety of interior wall finishes
from fine
   clay plasters to milk paints. The techniques and recipes we will
experiment with
   are suitable for earthen and conventional (sheetrock) wall systems, and
can be
   applied to new or existing interiors. With clay, sand, straw, and your
   imagination, you can create gorgeous wall finishes that are virtually
nontoxic
   and fun to apply

   PERMACULTURE

   Introduction to Permaculture,
   November 14 ­ 16

   Permaculture Design
   February 16 ­ March 1
   September 27 ­ October 10

   INTENTIONAL COMMUNITIES

   Starting and Sustaining Intentional Communities
   April 18 ­ 20
   June 29 ­ July 4

   Democratic Decision Making
   November 21 ­ 23

   WATERSHED AND FOREST MANAGEMENT

   Starting and Sustaining Community Watershed Groups
   July 18 ­ 21
   August 15 ­ 18

   Stormwater Management
   April 5

   Sustainable Forestry
   July 26

   Fire in the Landscape
   October 24 ­ 27

   ARTS

   Art in the Garden
   July 11 ­ 13

   Painting in the Garden
   September 19 ­ 21

   GARDENING, HERBS, AND ECOLOGY

   Winter Gardening and Seed Saving
   August 8 ­ 10

   Introduction to Birding
   May 18

   Tending the Inner Garden
   May 25

   School Garden Teacher Training
   July  7 ­ 11
   July 28 ­ August 1

   Medicinal Plant Walk
   July 20
   August 16

   NATURAL BUILDING & CARPENTRY

   Carpentry for Women
   May 30 ­ June 1
   August 22 ­ 24

   Introduction to Natural Plasters, Paints, and Pigments
   July 4 ­ 6

   SOCIAL JUSTICE

   Activist Leadership Skills Training
   September 7 ­ 14

   Biodiversity Plant Sales

   Early Spring Plant Sale
   April 12 and 13

   Summer Garden Plant Sale
   May 3 and 4

   Fall and Winter Plant Sale and Open House
   September 6 and 7

   Tours

   Green Building Tours
   July 6
   August 17

   Garden Tours
   March 30
   April 12 and 13
   May 3, 4 and 24
   June 15
   July 19
   August 23
   September 6, 7 and 21
   October 12 and 25

To all friends of the Occidental Arts and Ecology Center:

   With solstice just passed and the light beginning to return, what better
time to
   send to you our little glimmer of light-- OAEC's 2003 schedule!

   [If you do not want to receive future e-mail notices from OAEC, please
just hit
   the "reply" and place the word "Remove" in the subject line or text. We will
   remove you from our e-mail notification list, but maintain you on our
regular
   mailing list.]