[Ccpg] Creating A Life Together Practical Tools to Grow an Ecovillage or Intentional Community, by Diana Leafe Christian

Wesley Roe and Marjorie Lakin Erickson lakinroe at silcom.com
Thu Mar 27 23:16:06 PST 2003

   Creating a Life Together: Practical Tools to Grow an Ecovillage or
Intentional Community, by Diana Leafe Christian, editor of Communities
Magazine (and resident of Earthaven Ecovillage), foreword by Patch Adams.
2003 New Society Publishers, 272 pp. $23 (available from Permaculture
Activist, May 2003). "Creating a Life Together is an overview of the
process of forming new ecovillages and intentional communities, gleaned
from founders of dozens of successful communities in North America formed
since the early '90s. This is what they did, and what you can do, to create
your community dream. It attempts to distill their hard experience into
solid advice on getting started as a group, creating vision documents,
decision-making and governance, agreements and policies, buying and
financing land, communication and process, and selecting people to join
you. It's what works, what doesn't work, and how not to reinvent the wheel.
This information is not only for people forming new communities - whether
or not you already own your land. It can also be valuable for those of you
thinking about joining community one day - since you, too, will need to
know what works. And it's also for those of you already living in
community, since you can only benefit from knowing what others have done in
similar circumstances. "

"A great deal of research and trial-and-error has been assembled here, and
every potential ecovillager should read it. This book will be an essential
guide and manual for the many Permaculture graduates who live in
communities or design for them." --Bill Mollison

"Wow! The newest, most comprehensive bible for builders of intentional
communities. Covers every aspect with vital information and hundreds of
examples of how successful communities faced the challenges and created
their shared lives out of their visions. The cautionary tales of sadder
experiences and how communities fail, will help in avoiding the pitfalls.
Not since I wrote the Foreword to Ingrid Komar's Living the Dream (1983),
which documented the Twin Oaks community, have I seen a more useful and
inspiring book." --<http://www.hazelhenderson.com/>Hazel
<http://www.hazelhenderson.com/>Henderson, author, Creating Alternative
Futures, and Politics of the Solar Age.

"A really valuable resource for anyone thinking about intentional
community. I wish I had it years ago." -- Starhawk, author of Webs of
Power, The Spiral Dance, and The Fifth Sacred Thing -- and committed
communitarian.

"Creating a new culture of living peacefully with each other and the planet
is our number one need--and this is the right book at the right time.
Creating a Life Together will be instrumental in the ecovillage courses I
teach. I can't wait to tell people about it." --Hildur Jackson, cofounder,
Global Ecovillage Network (GEN); co-editor, Ecovillage Living: Restoring
the Earth and Her People.