[Ccpg] Natural Building Gathering/Training & Kleiwerks Update in Tennessee

Wesley Roe and Marjorie Lakin Erickson lakinroe at silcom.com
Sun Jun 8 08:05:53 PDT 2003

Hi friends and earth building enthusiasts,

-Here's the latest on Kleiwerks & Sequatchie Valley
Institute's big 10 day gathering/training, July 18-27.
It will be an excellent learning exprience, with 15
techniques & 14 presenters. Be in touch soon if you'd
like to join. More details below.
-There's still room for a couple more participants in
the Kleiwerks Practicum- a 10 week immersion in the
world of natural building, July 3-Sept 13, 2003. If
you are interested visit www.kleiwerks.com for an
application.
-Please pass this announcement on to your favorite
listserves, calenders, and peoples. Thanks for talking
dirty.
  -This mailing goes out to everyone on my list. If
you'd rather not receive the occasional kleiwerks
announcements, let me know and you'll be taken right
off.
-More info on my latest whereabouts are at the bottom
of this message.

Blessings,
janell kapoor
www.kleiwerks.com

Kleiwerks Natural Building and The Sequatchie Valley
Institute present:

10 DAY NATURAL BUILDING & DEEP ECOLOGY
TRAINING/GATHERING - Learn the art of sustainable
living & building.

July 18-27, 2003
Near Dunlap, Central Tennessee, USA

Join us for the big 10 day hands-on intensive in the
beautiful hills of Tennessee. You will learn how to
build your own natural, affordable, and long-lasting
structures with materials that come from the land. We
will cover 15 techniques, with 14 presenters.

WHAT TO EXPECT:
Through hands-on practices, demonstrations, classes,
slideshows and discussions you will learn
start-to-finish techniques. This is for people who are
seriously interested in taking what they learn back
home and putting it to use. Our intention is to see
our efforts multiply, broadening the sustainable
living and natural building movement. We expect a
total of about 50 people, with multiple projects
happening simultaneously. This gathering/training is
filling quickly. Early inquiries are encouraged.

15 TECHNIQUES:
-Adobe
-Cob
-Wattle and daub
-Light straw-clay slip, infill systems
-Dry stack rock foundations
-Earth bag construction
-Earthen plaster, aliz & other natural finishes
-Basic carpentry
-Post & beam timber-framing
-Ferro cement
-Stained glass
-Tile-making
-Adzing
-Other innovations and use of locally salvaged
leftovers from the nearby town that would otherwise be
headed for a land-fill.

TOPICS:
-Characteristics of materials
-Selecting & testing materials
-Hybrid natural wall systems
-Building strong structures
-Appropriate passive solar design
-Desiging a nest
-A pattern language
-Foundations, drainage & siting
-Roofing
-Model-making
-Codes & resources
-Visioning & grassroots activism
-Building steps & planning
-Deep Ecology & permaculture
-Natural building around the world
-Thailand's first earthen village

HOSTS/CO-SPONSORS:
We will be hosted at Moonshadow, home of Sequatchie
Valley Institute, a non-profit environmental education
center and living community on 350 acres near Dunlap,
TN. On the land there are numerous examples of
beautifully hand-crafted natural structures. Kleiwerks
Natural Building is an international grassroots
organization, teaching people how to build their own,
appropriately designed, hybrid homes and community
centers with affordable and indigenous materials.

INSTRUCTORS:
Janell Kapoor (Kleiwerks), Ashley & Patrick Ironwood
(SVI), David Del Vechio (SVI), Johnny Kimmons (SVI),
Mollie Curry (Earthaven Ecovillage), Allison Cerulli
(SVI), Albert Bates (Ecovillage Training Center, The
Farm), Howard Switzer & Katey Culver (Ecoville
Architects), Chris Farmer (Forestry Cooperative,
Earthaven Ecovillage), and other guests.

PARTICIPANTS:
We are most interested in working with representatives
from organizations, schools, networks, communitites...
anyone who is working on a grassroots level. For this
reason, we encourage participants to get about half of
the fee from people/sources within your community,
with plans to share what you've learned upon your
return home. Initial projects might be a slideshow
presentation with a short hands-on demonstration such
as a bench, oven, shed, garden walls, and so on. We
hope to support more people becoming involved with
natural building at the community level and will
gladly help advise this process.

TO REGISTER:
Please answer the following questions. Keep your
response brief, a few paragraphs is enough. Email us
your name; address; how you found out about the
training; which organizations, networks, communities
you work with and any other relevant information; how
you plan to use what you learn; how you plan to pay
for this training; and how much you will pay.

CONFIRMATION:
Registration applications will be accepted until we
are full. Within 2 weeks after receiving confirmation
from us, you are expected to send in a $200
NON-REFUNDABLE deposit to reserve your place. Closer
to the training we will send you more details with
directions, what to bring, etc. We look forward to
seeing you there...

FEE:
Training fee includes delicious organic meals,
camping, materials, information packet and tuition.
$650...with a $900-$400 sliding scale, allowing people
with different financial situations to attend. Please
give what you can. you are expected to meet the middle
$650. If you can give more, it helps our organizations
to continue offering similar events in the U.S. and
abroad. If you really cannot meet the middle $650,
please note this, explaining why in your registration.
We will encourage you to make arrangements for partial
sponsorship from your community, which will help
ensure you bringing it home to them (see
'participants'). If this is really not possible, then
we may ask for some kind of exchange for the
remainder, but prefer to keep worktrades for people in
our local community.

CONTACT:
For more information, or to submit an application,
contact Ashley Ironwood at:

Phone: 423.949.5922, 423.949.3021
Email: mediarights at bledsoe.net
Website: www.kleiwerks.com, www.svionline.org

CO-SPONSORED BY KLEIWERKS NATURAL BUILDING & THE
SEQUATCHIE VALLEY INSTITUTE

Janell Kapoor's whereabouts/update:
*Nov'02 thru Jan'03- earthen building projects in
Thailand.
*Feb & March- presenting and visiting mudders of New
Zealand.
*April 18 & 19- Swarthmore College, presenting and
brick-making workshop for peace wall.
*May 5- presentation at New College, Santa Rosa, Ca.
*May 6- presentation at Earth Activist Training with
Penny Livingston & Starhawk, Cazadero, Ca.
*May 9 thru 23- Portland Village Building Convergence,
Share-It-Square in the Sellwood Neighborhood.
*June 1 thru 8- Cobworks & Our Ecovillage, Mayne
Island, BC, Canada.
*Mid June- North American School of Natural Building,
Blackbear Ranch, Skywater Educational Center
Permaculture Skillshare.
*June 24- presentation in Bolinas, Ca.
*June 26 & 27- presentations at the Ecology Center in
Berkekley & Urban Forage in SF.
*July 3 thru Sept 13- Kleiwerks Practicum, 10 week
immersion in the world of natural building.
*July 6 thru 13- Build Here Now, Lama Foundation, NM
*July 18 thru 27- Kleiwerks/Sequatchie Valley
Institute 10 Day Training/Gathering, Tn.
*August, all month long- building an earthen house,
Earthaven Ecovillage, NC
*August 8 thru 10- 10th Annual SE Permaculture
Gathering, Earthaven Ecovillage, NC
*August 31 thru Sept 7- Workshop with Kleiwerks
interns, Asheville, NC.
*Late Nov'03 thru April'04- South America; events in
Argentina, Peru, &  Brazil
*Other kleiwerks events will be happening in Thailand
and South India, winter 2003-04.

More information about projects in Argentina, Peru,
Brazil, Thailand, and India will be in our next
mailing & will be posted at www.kleiwerks.com.