[Ccpg] {corrected} Plants in Human Affairs-Hawaii

seedmind at usa.net seedmind at usa.net
Thu Aug 7 18:19:04 PDT 2003

------ Original Message ------
From: Dennis McKenna <mcken031 at umn.edu>
To: Dennis McKenna <djmckenna at earthlink.net>

Dear Colleagues, Friends, and Students:

I'm contacting you via email to let you know about the second
presentation
of our course, Plants in Human Affairs,  on Hawaii's Big Island,
scheduled
for January 5-16, 2004. This time it will be held at the beautiful
Keauhou
Beach Resort on Hawaii's sunny Kona coast.  The course is open: U. of
Minnesota graduate students and undergraduates, students enrolled at
other
universities, and adult learners, all may enroll and receive 4 credits of
either undergraduate credit or graduate credit, depending on individual
preferences.  No-credit auditing options are also available for those who
would like to take the course but don't desire credit.  Reduced
accommodation and meal rates are available to local residents of the Big
Island or anyone who may prefer to make alternative arrangements for
lodging
and meals.

Please help us spread the word about this exciting and unique course by
forwarding this email and its attachments to any friends, colleagues, or
students you know who may have an interest in this course or the topics
it
covers.  Also, please feel free to post to any appropriate email lists or
listservs.  Further details, contact information, and links to more
details
on our web site are below.

Jan 5-16, 2004: Plants in Human Affairs January Intensive.  Held at the
Ohana Keauhou Beach Resort on the Big Island's beautiful Kona Coast, this
4-credit, 12-day intensive course explores humanity's ago-old symbiotic
relationship to plants.  Team-taught by ethnobotanist Kathleen Harrison
and
ethnopharmacologist Dennis McKenna, this course covers the role of plants
in
the evolution of civilizations, wars, migrations, religion, spirituality,
art, medicine, and science.  Guest lectures by local experts and frequent
field trips bring the subject alive in one of the most beautiful and
biodiverse environments on the planet. The Center for Spirituality and
Healing (www.csh.umn.edu) is the integrated medicine program within the
Academic Health Center at the University of Minnesota. We have teamed up
with the Kohala Center, a non-profit teaching and learning institution in
Kamuela, Hawaii to offer this course on a yearly schedule.  For
information
and details of costs, credit, accommodations, etc., visit:
<http://www.csh.umn.edu/WhatsNew/index.html>
or contact Nancy Feinthel at 612 626-5166/ <feinthel at umn.edu>

Judging by the response from students who took our first offering of this
course last summer (July/August 2002), we have been delighted to find
that
the "immersion" format of the course and the rich content resonates
deeply
with people.  Many of our students told us that they found it one of the
most stimulating and enjoyable experiences of their academic careers, and
some were even motivated to change to majors in the life sciences.  As
teachers who place value on fostering curiosity and a love of the
botanical
world in our students, such feedback is extremely gratifying!  Please
come
join us in Hawaii in January and find out for yourself. Plants in Human
Affairs is a learning vacation, and the Big Island is the perfect getaway
from the dreary mid-Western winter!

We look forward to seeing you in Hawaii!  Aloha and Mahalo.

Dennis McKenna, Ph.D.
Kathleen Harrison, M.A.
Senior Lecturer
Ethnobotanist & President,