[Ccpg] [HD-L] Allan Savory Events Reminder 12/13 (Sat.) SLO

Wesley Roe and Marjorie Lakin Erickson lakinroe at silcom.com
Fri Dec 12 19:33:05 PST 2003

Hello all,  from wfrancis at calpoly.edu

Just a reminder about the Allan Savory events we will be co-hosting tomorrow
from 2:30-9:00 p.m. at the Davies, 5015 Jesperson Rd. SLO CA (details
copied below
from my previous post).  Below that, I have copied Allan Savory's direct
response to some of the concerns and many interesting points Chris had raised
after I sent out the first announcement.  I don't recall Allan's response ever
making it to the listserve.  Apologies for any double postings.

Events will unfold pretty much as described below, though I would point out
that the afternoon session will be much more informal than the evening
presentation.  More time will be alotted for questions and group discussion on
specific projects in the afternoon.  Allan will give a more formal
presentation
on Holistic Management as a decision making process in the evening.

Hope you can join us for either, or both - Hunter wfrancis at calpoly.edu

[ORIGINAL INVITATION...]
I would like to let you know of a wonderful opportunity to learn about a
unique
decision making model, Holistic Management, with its chief creator and leading
spokesperson, Allan Savory.  The SARC will be co-sponsoring an event on
Saturday, December 13th, which will give people the opportunity to meet Mr.
Savory and hear about his inspirational, international work at an informal
community gathering.

Two back-to-back events have been planned at the home of Bill and Phyllis
Davies (5015 Jespersen Rd., SLO).  All are welcome to attend either or both.

Saturday afternoon, December 13, 2:30-5:00 p.m.:
An intriguing look at Mr. Savory's work in the US, African and other
international ecosystems.  The program will be of interest to all ages.
Holistic Management has been used by agriculturists around the world to
understand and manage natural resources more effectively.  Its application has
often resulted in a remarkable regeneration of disturbed environments.  Mr.
Savory will share some of the “hows” and “whys” of these success stories, and
the Davies will share their first-hand experience with examples they saw on
their recent trip to Africa.  Potluck refreshments will be served.

THEN...

Saturday evening, December 13, 5:30-9:00 p.m.:
A more specific talk on Holistic Management as a decision making process that
can be used by any group decision making body ­ whether a farm, business,
organization or even a family.  Exciting examples of local applications of
Holistic Management will be shared over a potluck dinner ­ including a
presentation by Cal Poly faculty involved with the development of the SARC’s
(our!) “holistic goal” using Holistic Management under the guidance of Animal
Science Professor Rob Rutherford.

Hope you can join us for any or all of this exciting series of events.

If you are coming in the afternoon, please bring healthy refreshments.
Dinner guests please bring:  A-E bring a Salad;  F-T Main Dish;  U-Z Finger
Deserts.

DIRECTIONS:  (5015 Jespersen Rd.)  Take Buckley Rd (South of the airport) to
Jespersen Rd. (turn to go South).  Go about ½ mile just over the crest of the
first hill.  Turn right onto the paved driveway between the pine trees, just
beyond three black mailboxes/bow.

MORE INFO ON ALLAN SAVORY:
“Allan Savory recently received the prestigious environmental Banksia Award
for making, significant contributions to the betterment of our environment on
a global level.  Past winners include Rachel Carson and Sir David
Attenborough.  Allan Savory has developed what is widely believed to be an
entirely new decision-making framework through which all people, regardless
of their location, industry or circumstances can make decisions that are
simultaneously environmentally, socially and financially sound in both the
short and long term: Holistic Management.  Holistic decision making puts
people back in control of their destinies and restores a sense of direction in
difficult times.  Many thousands of families and businesses around the world
are now successfully using this new framework to radically improve their
quality of life while simultaneously regenerating the resource base that
sustains them.”

ALLAN SAVORY'S RESPONSE TO CHRIS
[Chris' comments Allan was responding to are in brackets], for clarity...

Chris,
We do not know one another, but you obviously share my deep concern for the
land and life dependent upon it otherwise you would not be taking all the
trouble that you are to look into my work.

I can only guage your level of comprehension of Holistic Management from your
emails I have seen.   I am not sure if you have read my book or not "Holistic
Management. A New Framework for Decision Making" 1998.  If not it might help.
I will send you a copy if you promise to read it!

I have made some comment below that might help.

Please believe me that I do not have any great commitment to Holistic
Management and if you or any other person can come up with a better way of
saving our public lands, private lands, national parks, wilderness areas,
rural
communities and families, cities and nations I will adopt it tomorrow and urge
the closing down of our center.  I seek only that elusive better world that
has
somehow been out of our grasp for thousands of years.  So far the use of the
holistic framework is proving encouragingly successful in all situations where
it is actually used.   And so far despite my urging scientists world wide to
let me know of any aspect of the process that is not scientifically sound none
have done so apart from the early ones that helped us refine the process.  And
where I have had a great many scientists (including some of my greatest
critics
and skeptics) treat Holistic Management as a hypothesis and asked them to work
in teams to find ways to cause this hypothesis to fail in practice, they have
been unable to do so.  These groups have always ended in frustration a couple
of hours later saying that the only way it fails is if it is not practiced!  I
was hoping that we could find at least ways to make the process fail in
theory -
  as we would then know that at some point we can expect failure in practice.
If we do get a failure in practice we will have to go back to the drawing
board
and continue seeking some means of dealing with complexity in management.

Anyway see if the comments below do help at all.

Allan.