[Ccpg] permaculture mapping software

Wesley Roe and Marjorie Lakin Erickson lakinroe at silcom.com
Sun Apr 11 10:40:59 PDT 2004

Hello,

I have been using MapInfo Professional since 1996 to develop aerial photo
based topo plans for permaculture design. Our process is simply:

1. Scan or upload topo map data of site

2. Scan at high resolution the aerial photo contact print of the site

3. Geographically project the topo data (if not already in the appropriate
projection eg. AMG, UTM, LL etc.) and then the aerial photo

4. Now you have a topo aerial photo

5. Print out at a scale and complete your site analysis

6. Upload your GPS points/tracks etc. from the site analysis (our GPS
records x, y, & z coordinates the z s are elevation points enabling
creation of contour plans using GPS data and additional software eg.
Surfer, AutoCad Land Development, Mercator series etc.)

7. Design the property using MapInfo s cartographic tools.

You can purchase digital topo maps as scanned rasters (solid picture images
usually projected in this case) or as vector data (transparent digitised
lines with values eg. Each contour line has a numerical value like the
ASL). I use both though I prefer the vector data rasters are solid layers
so if you put your topo layer over your scanned aerial photo (also vector
data) you ll wont see it and vice versa.

If you want to do 3D stuff (I don t because its too time consuming for the
result) then a range of CAD and rendering software can do that.

Good Luck

Cheers,

Yours and Growing,

Darren J. Doherty

Applied Diploma of Permaculture Design, (Education, Site Design, System
Establishment & Implementation) Permaculture Institute (1995)

Permaculture Design Certificate, Permaculture Institute (1993, 1995, 2001)

Whole Farm Planning Certificate (Train the Trainer), University of
Melbourne (1995)

permaculture designer @ permaculture.biz

a. 103 Casey St, East Bendigo, Victoria, Australia, 3550

p. 613 5444 1068

f. 613 5444 0621

m. 0148 254 605

e.