[Ccpg] S. B. Permaculture Network ECO-Film Night Presents: The Real Patch Adams ALSO PATCH'S CLOWN AND PDC In W.Virginia

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network sbpcnet at silcom.com
Mon May 3 21:34:23 PDT 2004

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network ECO-Film Night
Presents:

The Real Patch Adams
A documentary film by Judith Bourque
Thurs, May 27, 7pm, $3donation
SB Public Main Library, Faulkner Gallery

Patch Adams, physician, clown, & founder of the Gesundheit
Institute(www.patchadams.org), has been putting into practice the idea that
"healing should be a loving human interchange, not a business", for more than
20 years.

Join us and our co sponsors as we explore the idea of sustainable & caring
health care with this film and two other shorts:

•The Canadian Single Payer Health System, A Model for Reform •Health for All
Californians Campaign SB 921

which discuss successful national health care in Canada and what might be
possible for California in the future.

For more info: (805) 962-2571, or sbpcnet at silcom.com,www.sbpermaculture.org
Barbara Chpt,(805) 682-5183.

EcoFilm Night "Sustainable &Caring Health Care" Thurs, May 27, 7pm
Santa Barbara Permaculture Network ECO-Film Night Presents:The Real Patch
Adams
A documentary film by Judith BourqueThurs, May 27, 7pm, $3donationSB Public
Main Library, Faulkner Gallery.
        Meet Patch Adams, the real person behind the hit movie "Patch Adams,"
starring Robin Williams. Patch is both a medical doctor and a clown...but
he is
also a social activist who has for the last 30 years devoted his life to
changing America's healthcare system; a system which he describes as expensive
and elitist.

        American filmmaker Judith Bourque, long-term resident of Sweden,
traveled to West Virginia to the Gesundheit Institute, the non-profit
foundation that Patch created to make real the building of a dream. There,
among beautiful mountains, hardwood forests and waterfalls, Gesundheit!
advocates hope to construct a holistic rural hospital and healthcare community
based on the vision of what healthcare should be like.
        That means patient care where laughter, joy and creativity will be an
integral part of the healing process. Healthcare will be provided without cost
and doctors will carry no malpractice insurance. Doctors and patients will
relate to each other on the basis of mutual trust, and patients will receive
plenty of time from their doctors. Allopathic doctors and practitioners of
alternative medicine will work side by side.If you think that all sounds
like a
utopian impossibility, it isn't. Patch and his colleagues practiced medicine
together that way for 12 years in what he calls their "pilot project." They
saw
15,000 patients.Through an in depth interview with Patch you will hear his
story...about the journey from suicidal despair in his youth to making the
decision to devote his life to the study of what makes people happy. The
viewer
will also get to follow Patch on his travels to other countries as he clowns
for sick children or teaches courses in "The Joy of Living."
        This film provides the opportunity to think about some very important
subjects in a light hearted and thoroughly entertaining manner. It is of
interest to anyone who works in healthcare, as well as anyone who is or will
ever be a patient...in other words, everyone.

Patch Adams, physician, clown, & founder of the Gesundheit
Institute(www.patchadams.org), has been putting into practice the idea that
"healing should be a loving human interchange, not a business", for more
than 20
years.

        Join us and our co sponsors as we explore the idea of sustainable &
caring health care with this film and two other shorts: The Canadian Single
Payer Health System: and A Model for Reform and Health for All Californians
Campaign SB 921 which interviews Californians who have been impacted by the
rising cost of premiums and lack of access to care despite having insurance,
graphically demonstrate the need for structural reform of our fragmented
health
care system. The video explains how California Senate Bill 921 (Kuehl),
proposes unifying California's present fragmented health system financing,
with
a single state agency collecting affordable premiums and paying fair
reimbursement to current providers. With all Californians paying a fair share,
the cost for quality, comprehensive care is affordable for all. With unified
administration, the cost is controllable.

For more info: (805) 962-2571, or sbpcnet at silcom.com,www.sbpermaculture.org
Barbara Chpt, (805) 682-5183.

CLOWN AND Permaculture Design Course
Institute  Hillsboro, West Virginia
Composition, cybernetics, clowning and permaculture*

Summer Session: June 1-30, 2004 desire & design Hillsboro, West Virginia
Summer Session: June 1-30, 2004 desire & design at the Gesundheit!

The School for Designing a Society, in its eleventh year, is a project of
teachers, performers, poets, and activists. It is an ongoing experiment in
making temporary living environments where the question "What would I
consider a desirable society?" is given serious playful thinking
discussion, and taken as input to creative projects.

Rather than orienting participants to find a comfy spot in the current
social system, the School offers time, ambiance, tools, and company in
which people can imagine and design a system they would prefer.

Based in Urbana, Illinois, The School For Designing A Society will travel
this summer to the hills of West Virginia and rest at the Gesundheit!
Institute. The Gesundheit! Institute is the dream of a growing number of
people, an experiment in holistic health care based on the idea that one
cannot separate the health of the individual from the health of the family,
the community and the world. The Gesundheit! Institute's land in West
Virginia is the future construction site for a free, silly hospital
incorporating all the healing arts to address the major problems in health
care delivery and provide a model of joyful service to the world. Situated
on 310 acres in rural West Virginia — with two waterfalls, a four acre
pond, extensive gardens and orchards, and several unique buildings — we
will use the land itself as a teaching tool as well as establishing
connections between the Gesundheit! project and a desiring and designing
society.
Participants will explore the question,
"what would I consider a desirable society?"

In addition to asking participants to formulate and consult their desires,
the classes and projects in the school will make use of conceptual tools
from the areas of critical theory, cybernetics, political economy,
feminism, epic theater, theater of the oppressed, radical pedagogy, media
critique, community organizing, permaculture, and collaborative composition.
Why design?

Criticisms of the problems of the present society are often met with
justifications. Once these justifications fail, many a conversation of
hopeful intention is stopped with the (final) statement:
"The present organization of society is the best we have."

or the question:
"Do you have a better idea?"

This is a moment of possibility and not one to be left speechless. Indeed,
many a time, the respondent finds herself sputtering, filled with a spirit
of rebellion which unfortunately gets watered down to the mere language of
complaint. Having had the time and opportunity to create — in conjunction
with others of diverse experiences — detailed maps, dreams, plans, scripts,
scores, videos, and blueprints of her desirable society, we imagine the
situation could go differently. Imagine an atmosphere of audacity: She's
asked the question: "Do you have a better idea?" Everyone taking a
coffeebreak looks at her or their shoes. She looks the interlocutor in the
eye and reaches into her purse? knapsack? briefcase? kitchen drawer? for a
booklet of proposals, slaps it on the table scattering cigarette butts, and
answers:
"Here, read this—this will give you an idea of what I want."
Teachers and guest presenters

Mark Enslin
Composer; actor; bassoonist; has worked with composition students in
Brazil; taught such classes as "Music and Protest" and "The Art of Acting
as Audience" at the University of Illinois; cofounder of the Performers'
Workshop Ensemble.

Susan Parenti
Composer; playwright; poet; has written and lectured extensively on
composition and feminism; has taught courses on creativity in activism,
"Protesting the Forms of Protest;" present interests: creating a feminist
composition curriculum, cybernetic theory, the politics of managed health
care, the politics of vocal timbres. Has published a book of plays, The
Politics of the Adjective Political and a book of poems I and My Mouth and
Their Irresistible Life In Language. Has been performing partner with Patch
Adams for 10 years.

Rob Scott
Designer; connosieur of pedagogies and problems; interlocutor; performing
artist; organizer. Rob has taught classes on Permaculture, Cybernetics and
Language. He is the founder of the Urbana Permaculture Project, a
decentralized multi-site community gardening experiment in Urbana, IL:
www.prairienet.org/upp

Andrew Faust
Currently the Permaculture Designer and Bioregional Educator at the
Gesundheit! Institute. Faust is also a certified Alternative School
Teacher, having instructed at Upattinas Open Community High School for ten
years, where he developed the Center for Bioregional Living. He has been
developing the land at the Gesundheit! Institute to provide abundance and
to teach those who come, how to provide abundance for themselves.

Jeff Glassman
Experiments performing counter-intuitive structures in theatre solos and
with ensembles. He tours, teaches and collaborates, starting thirty years
ago as co-founder of the United Mime Workers, an experimental and political
movement-theatre company. He since worked with the Performers' Workshop
Ensemble and now collaborates with Lisa Fay. A recipient of NEA and state
awards, he has taught social issues theatre at the University of Illinois
and was a recent visiting faculty at The Evergreen State College. The task:
to design performance techniques for untried relationships between action,
gesture, and speech performable by individuals and groups, as the basis for
theatre composition appropriate to a hypothetical new society.

*And for one week we will be joined by Patch Adams and Judy Wicks:

Patch Adams
Doctor; clown; traveling lecturer; instigator of the Gesundheit! Institute,
a large scale project to build a free, silly hospital in rural West
Virginia and transform the present society's understanding of health
care-an irrepressible wanter.

Judy Wicks
Founder and CEO of Philadelphia's 20 year old White Dog Café, is a national
leader in the local, living economies movement. She is cofounder and
co-chair of both the national Business Alliance for Local Living Economies
(BALLE), and the local Sustainable Business Network of Greater
Philadelphia. She is also president of the White Dog Cafe Foundation,
dedicated to building local living economies by making small grants and
running programs to support local family farmers and independent
community-based businesses.

For more on the School for Designing A Society go to www.designingsociety.com

For more on the Gesundheit! Institute go to www.patchadams.org/home.htm
Application

All interested people, ages 18+, are encouraged to apply. Tuition is $1,000
for the month. The money will go towards the cost of food (which is
prepared collectively), housing, and compensation for the teachers.
Application Deadline: April 15
Name:
Address:
Phone:
Email:
Age:
How did you hear about us?
Submit

If you have any questions call or email Andy: (304) 653-4338,
android at patchadams.org

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network
(805) 962-2571
sbpcnet at silcom.com
www.sbpermaculture.org

"We are like trees, we must create new leaves, in new directions, in order to
grow." - Anonymous