[Ccpg] Mobile Permaculture Course Returns 6/2-18 CA 2004

Wesley Roe and Marjorie Lakin Erickson lakinroe at silcom.com
Thu May 6 05:54:57 PDT 2004

Common Vision
Vegetable-Oil Powered
Mobile Permaculture and Sustainability Course
In California: Santa Rosa to Santa Barbara

June 2-18, 2004
$800-1000 sliding scale
www.commonvision.org
Contact: michael at commonvision.org
831.588.9914

This is a solution-focused hands-on course that will
lay the foundations for designing physical and inner
landscapes that are efficient, productive, beautiful,
and healing to self and the Earth.

The course will include:

- Hands-on permaculture and sustainable skills
workshops including
Efficient Rocket Stove construction
Solar Oven Construction
Biodiesel Processing
Agroforestry
Indigenous Building
Small scale greywater systems
- Learning from permaculturists, farmers, and native
elders
- Lessons from the Permaculture Design Curriculum
- Optional morning yoga classes from a certified
instructor
- Three organic vegetarian meals daily
- Experience in nomadic eco-community living

We will travel in Common Vision's Mobile Resource
Center (MRC)- a school bus converted to run on
vegetable oil, with a library, solar electricity, a
greenhouse for sprouting, drying racks for herbal
medicines, a kitchen, sleeping accommodations for 12,
and lots of musical instruments.

We will be traveling to:
-Permaculture sites
- Organic farms
- Eco-villages
- Community Gardens
- Old Growth Ecosysytems
- Intentional communities to see different models and
lifestyles of sustainability. By visiting diverse
sites that model the unique strategies of Permaculture
design, we encourage students to make their own
wholistic vision of sustainability. Students can then
return to their communities with the knowledge and
skills necessary to implement effective change.

Site-Specific Teachers:

At each site, we will be working with different
practitioners, teachers, and elders who will be
demonstrating, teaching, and facilitating work
projects that highlight the stenghths of their
knowledge and the site's focus.

Course Facilitators:

- Blair Phillips -

I am a graduate of the University of California, Santa
Cruz with a bachelors degree in Environmental Studies;
I am Permaculture Certified and Permaculture Teacher
Certified. For 8 years I have been immersed in the
goal of living sustainably and have been studying
traditional arts . I have worked with multiple organic
farms and environments and volunteered as a teacher in
a variety of schools. I have led and cofacilatated
Common Vsion workshops. I have been involved with
several forest actions in both California and Oregon.
I have also been doing environmental outreach focusing
on organic agriculture and planetary diet issues by
serving free, vegan, organic meals at cultural
gatherings, farmers markets, and to the homeless in
urban areas. In hand with this, I often pick up
compost from local markets to insure it proper use. In
the Aptos hills, I have helped with large scale
compost, building soil up with the unedible
left-overs. I have also fabricated organic soil for
Upstarts, an organic greenhouse business which
supplies most of the Santa Cruz organic farms. I have
planted bio-intensive organic orchards. I have refined
thousands of gallons of biodiesel. I am the webmaster
for the Common Vision Web Site as well as the main
editor for the Common Vision Movie. Most importantly,
I have spent extensive time in wilderness areas
reconnecting with nature's pace and lessons.

- Deanna Moore -

Although i recently recieved a B.A. degree in Culture,
Ecology, and Sustainable Community through the New
College of California. I have been and will continue
to be a student my whole life. I I am an advocate of
alternative and experiential education on all levels,
having done Wildlife & Biological conservation Studies
in Namibia, Africa, mainly with endangered cheetah
populations. I also have done outdoor environmental
and cultural education in Hawaii, which is where I
gained valuable food systems knowledge and received my
Permaculture Design and Teacher Certificates. I have
volunteered at the UCSC Center for Agroecology and
Sustainable Food Systems where I educated the public
and local schools about sustainable organic farming.
My vision is focused on reviving community in urban
and suburban areas through creating local food and
energy systems, and opening others to a more
sustainable vision- leading to more holistic,
health-conscious choices. I have dedicated my life to
the preservation and revitalization of natural
ecological systems, ancient cultures, and tribal
community in the midst of globalization, concrete
jungles, and technological sprawl. We are living in a
crucial time and as fast as we became so
overwhelmingly diseased, so too can we begin to heal.

- Michael Flynn-

Michael Flynn believes that this 21st century human
incarnation is a blessed opportunity to re-member
timeless spiritual, ecological, and cultural practices
and to embody them within the matrix of advanced
global capitalism for the benefit of all beings.
Michael is a student and certified teacher of yoga,
focused in the Iyengar tradition. He is a graduate of
Pomona College with a BA in Sociology (Education and
Culture). He has dedicated his life's work to the
exploration of the question: "In what ways can we
create educational models that acknowledge the
importance of cultural production and employ learning
technologies that actually facilitate the integration
of ecological sustainability, spiritual awareness, and
cultural healing into our symbolic negotiation of
reality?" Michael believes that it is our gift and
purpose to live the answers in our mythological
fullness.

- Jodi Levine -

The journey began when I was five years old and my
brother and I would look for tadpoles in the swamp
behind our house. We would wander through tall cat
tails and climb big trees. Life was good. I still
climb trees and explore wild places, but today that
swamp is covered with houses. I have dedicated my life
to minimizing my footprint as I walk on this
earth, in hopes that my children have swamps and
forests to explore, clean water to drink and healthy
soils to grow their food. I graduated with a B.S. in
Biology from the University of California, Santa
Barbara in 1999, then followed my bliss to Catalina
Island. It was there that the doors of wilderness
education were opened to me. I have been an outdoor
educator ever since; guiding today's youth (tomorrows
lawyers and tree sitters) to witness the great teacher
of nature while expanding their inner wilderness. I
feel blessed to have experienced habitats of cloud
forests and organic coffee farms of Costa Rica,
granite
rocks of the Mojave desert, 2000 year old redwood
trees, caves of the Hawaiian islands, rivers of Idaho,
red sandstone of Utah, snow of western Colorado,
running coho of Alaska, deer of Yosemite, amethyst
crystals and foxes of Catalina Island and flowers
blooming in a garden I know well. Along my path have
also been great lessons in whole foods nutrition,
natural childbirth, healing through touch, the art of
journal binding, program directing, singing, organic
gardening and music making. I give much thanks.