[Ccpg] Seeking projects for new home design book "REDUX: Designs that Reveal, Recycle and Redefine".

Wesley Roe and Marjorie Lakin Erickson lakinroe at silcom.com
Fri Aug 6 23:00:59 PDT 2004

Hello ADPSR folks and others,
I’m seeking project submissions for a home design book I’m writing
called REDUX: Designs that Reveal, Recycle and Redefine. It will be
published in 2005 by Gibbs Smith, who also published my book, Good Green Homes.

I’m looking for examples of unique, visually appealing homes and
residential objects made of old stuff that was destined for demolition or
the dump. For example:

§   Commercial or industrial properties ingeniously adapted for
residential use—not the standard warehouse-to-loft conversion but truly
innovative adaptations that would make an architect or other design-savvy
person stop in her tracks
§   Homes that have been inventively remodeled by peeling layers away,
revealing the building’s original materials or hidden spatial potential
§   Rooms or whole houses built from surplus shipping containers, junked
vehicles, water towers or other structures that weren’t originally
intended as homes
§   Furnishings and finishes made from salvaged materials or from
artifacts used in new contexts (old aircraft cockpits converted into
chairs, discarded traffic signal lenses made into terrazzo counters,
highway signs as exterior siding, and so on)
§   Residential landscapes and outdoor installations that make witty,
innovative use of cast-off materials

REDUX will feature contemporary projects that are artistic, soulful and
finely crafted. In particular, REDUX will showcase work by architects,
designers, artists and builders who are committed to ethics as well as
aesthetics, who put their creativity to work to help solve environmental
and social problems, and who find inventive ways to use humble materials
that others wouldn’t give a second glance.

What I’m not looking for are examples of recycling/reuse that are already
in widespread practice, like antique furniture, vintage appliances or
recycled plastic decking. Please note that for the most part, I’ll only
be able to include projects for which professional-quality photographs
already exist. I would be happy to hear from you about projects I should
consider. You can email me at
<mailto:jennifer at jenniferroberts.com>jennifer at jenniferroberts<mailto:jennifer at jenniferroberts.com>.com.

With thanks,

Jennifer Roberts
Author, Good Green Homes
<http://www.goodgreenhomes.com/>http://www.goodgreenhomes<http://www.goodgreenhomes.com/>.com/

San Francisco, CA
tel/fax: 415.695.1721

*****************
REMEMBER:  BEING ON THE LIST SERVE DOESN'T MEAN YOU ARE A MEMBER OF ADPSR.

We appreciate and need your financial support too.  Now you can join
on-line by visiting our secure web page,
<https://adpsr.org/secure/National/membership.html>https://adpsr.org/secure/National/membership.<https://adpsr.org/secure/National/membership.html>html.
Just add a note for which Chapter you'd like to be part of (see
<http://adpsr.org/contact.html>http://adpsr.org/contact.<http://adpsr.org/contact.html>html).

Forwarded as a courtesy of NorCal ADPSR.  These postings are originated by
others and ADPSR takes no responsibility for
content.  Architects/Designers/Planners for Social Responsibility (ADPSR)
  ADPSR National Forum 415 974-1306
<http://adpsr.org/>http://adpsr<http://adpsr.org/>.org/
  New Village, The national journal of ADPSR
<http://newvillage.net/>http://newvillage<http://newvillage.net/>.net/
  ADPSR Northern California Chapter 510 845-1000
<http://adpsr-norcal.org/>http://adpsr-norcal<http://adpsr-norcal.org/>.org/
  POB 9126, Berkeley, CA 94709

To be removed from this list, reply to this email with the word "REMOVE"
and the e-mail address it was originally sent to in the subject line.

Please DO NOT HIT THE REPLY BUTTON
Reply only to:
<mailto:jennifer at jenniferroberts.com>jennifer at jenniferroberts<mailto:jennifer at jenniferroberts.com>.com.