[Ccpg] EcoDwelling Program at New College, Santa Rosa

Wesley Roe and Marjorie Lakin Erickson lakinroe at silcom.com
Sun Aug 8 09:38:06 PDT 2004

,The EcoDwelling Concentration Concentration of the BA completion and MA
program in Culture, Ecology and Sustainable Community is accepting
applications for Fall 2004 (September) and Spring 2005 (January) semester
starts.  Get your degree and study natural building, ecological design,
hands-on skills and the most full-fledged accredited program of it's type in
the nation.

Contact Joe Kennedy at 707 568 3092 or
<mailto:jkennedy at newcollege.edu>jkennedy at newcollege<mailto:jkennedy at newcollege.edu>.edu
for more
information.

EcoDwelling Concentration Overview

The EcoDwelling Concentration is a holistic approach to dwelling in the
broadest sense – encompassing the very nature of existence and being – and
the entire process by which we inhabit our ecosystems and the planet.  It is
concerned with the causes of our current dwelling process failure, the
principles of success, and the application of principles in the design of
equitable, sustainable, universally affordable alternatives.  The
Concentration provides students with an opportunity to implement vision,
theory and design of radically affordable, sustainable means of dwelling,
through lecture, discussion, design projects, and hands-on building with
straw-bales, cob, and other natural materials.

The EcoDwelling Concentration is intended for anyone with an interest in any
aspect of the dwelling process and its relationship to the whole.  It is
intended for anyone interested in discovering how to make their own way and
means of dwelling more affordable, sustainable and liberating – thereby
being able to help others do the same.  As awareness of our collective
crisis increases, the need for those who can recognize, understand, and
implement sustainable alternatives will be substantial.

New College

New College of California is an accredited institution of higher learning
whose mission is to integrate education with personal transformation and
social change to create a more just, sacred and sustainable world.

Our academic programs and curriculum have been developed to create the
pathways for our students to walk toward this better world.  We teach of the
need to heal from the traumas of living in a much less that just, sacred and
sustainable world; to resist the further destruction of people and the
planet; to create alternatives that inspire us to live differently in the
world; to change consciousness from reductionist, objectifying paradigm to
one more holistic and systemic; and finally of the need to overcome the
destructive fallacy of the isolated, autonomous individual and embrace the
concept of the communal and ecological self.

New College’s North Bay Campus Culture, Ecology and Sustainable Community
Program offers year-long BA completion and MA degrees.  Students develop
their particular concentrations by focusing their work in their area of
interest.  Students may choose to create an Individually Designed
Concentration, or students may select from developed concentrations
(including EcoDwelling, Ecological Agriculture, Nutrition and Painting in
the Landscape) that have set curricula that require additional weekend or
weekday class time.

For more information of about New College, how to apply and additional
programs contact us at:
<http://www.newcollege.edu/northbay>www.newcollege.edu/<http://www.newcollege.edu/northbay>northbay,
Phone: 707 568 0112
Address: 99 Sixth Street, Santa Rosa, California 95401

Faculty Biographies

Steve Beck MArch, is a designer and inventor.  He has trained as an
architect and Buddhist monk, and holds a Master of Architecture degree from
the University of Washington.  Over a 15-year period he designed, built and
lived in (full time) a series of tiny portable solar houses, none of which
cost more than $1,200 (several considerably less).
Phone: 707 577 8183

Joseph F. Kennedy is a designer, builder, writer, artist and educator.
Joseph received degrees in Architecture from the University of California at
Berkeley and the Southern California Institute of Architecture with an
additional degree in International Peace Studies from the University of
Notre Dame.  Working with pioneers in the field, he has been at the
forefront of ecological design and construction for the past seventeen
years.  He is Cofounder of Builders without Borders, a non-profit
organization dedicated to housing the homeless.  Joseph is a co-editor of
The Art of Natural Building (New Society 2002), and
Building Without Borders: Sustainable Construction for the Global Village
(New Society 2004).
Phone: 707 568 3092
<mailto:jkennedy at newcollege>jkennedy@<mailto:jkennedy at newcollege>newcollege