[Ccpg] The 2005 World Exposition “Nature's Wisdom” , Aichi, Japan 25 March - 25 September, 2005

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network sbpcnet at silcom.com
Wed Dec 15 00:13:17 PST 2004

Just Saw a two page AD in Time Magazine Dec 20 US  with an amazing
announcement from Japan's Prime Minister .

"Economic Prosperity and a healthy environment are essential to the
virtuous circle that sustains human life. Japan has a deep history of using
technology that exist in harmony with the environment, Today, we are the
world leader in solar power and are aiming to become the world's first
fully recycled based society, Expo 2005 in Aichi, the first world expo of
the 21 th Century , will spotlight environmental issues and showcase the
commitment of people around the world of balancing environment issues and
showcase the commitment of people around the world to balancing
environmental and economic need. We hope that you will join us in taking a
new step toward creating a sustainable environment for the future."

http://www-1.expo2005.or.jp/en/
CHECK at the bottom of email the writeup on Placing Importance on Citizen
Participation

The 2005 World Exposition, Aichi, Japan
Location

Nagoya Eastern Hills(Nagakute Town, Toyota City and Seto City)
Duration

25 March - 25 September, 2005 (total of 185 days)
Expected number of visitors

approx.15 million

Message from Japan : “Nature's Wisdom”
Why “Nature's Wisdom”?

Thanks to rapid technological development, the 20th Century was
characterized by mass-production and mass-consumption, which in turn led to
material improvements in our daily lives. At the same time, these trends
resulted in various global issues such as desertification, global warming,
and a shortage of natural resources. As these issues cannot be resolved by
any one nation, the international community needs to unite in confronting
them: we must come together and share our experience and wisdom, in order
to create a new direction for humanity which is both sustainable and
harmonious with nature.

EXPO 2005 Message

The 20th century saw the formation of a new global society. The remarkable
progress made in science and technology, the development of high-speed
methods of transportation, and the evolution of information and
communications technologies have all accelerated the global interchange of
people, goods, and information to an unbelievable extent. The world has
been truly transformed.

Human beings' seemingly insatiable desire for expansion, the source of this
transformation, continues unabated. This has placed a tremendous burden on
the natural environment, exceeding its capacity for self-recovery. The
result is that we must now deal with a number of potential world crises.

The time has come for the people who make up the global society of the 21st
century to work together in the pursuit of a sustainable and harmonious
coexistence for all life on Earth. Paramount to this is a global perspective.

EXPO 2005 Aichi, Japan, is the perspective we need.

The inspiration for EXPO 2005 is the marvelous mechanism of nature and the
power of life. Learning from the world's vast collection of wisdom and
methods of interaction with nature found around the globe, we hope to bring
the world together for the creation of a global society allowing the
multitude of cultures and civilizations to coexist together.

EXPO 2005 will be a focal point, acting as the loom for a wonderful
creation. The theme of the EXPO-Nature's Wisdom-will be the vertical thread
in this loom and rich and varied exchange-a Grand Intercultural Symphony-
the horizontal. When woven together, they will produce a soft, rich and
beautiful fabric. Perhaps the fabric for a wonderful new global society.

The participants of EXPO 2005, the nations, regions, private enterprises,
independent citizens, NPOs/NGOs, and volunteers that form the backbone of
global society, will be the weavers on this loom, sure to produce a
wondrous fabric for the world.

Closer contact will naturally give rise to friction-the very reason we wish
to carefully nurture reason, love, and the adoration of the objects of
beauty that humankind possesses. These are sentiments the world over.

But what will be the catalyst for genuine exchange? We believe the answer
to be people meeting people, followed by discourse that goes beyond words
to achieve mutual understanding and respect.

EXPO 2005 Aichi, Japan, is the place for this intercultural exchange.

In 2005, the world will gather together in Aichi Prefecture. There, we can
weave together a fabric for a new global society; we can stand together,
exchange smiles and share the wisdom of the world-felt and enjoyed with all
our senses and experienced with our whole being.

Let us do this for all life and the future of our planet!

What will you see at EXPO 2005?
Experience Nature's Wisdom

EXPO 2005 represents a determined effort by Japan to develop new modalities
of life for the 21st century. It is an ambitious attempt to rediscover
“Nature's Wisdom” - science and technology inherent in our surroundings
that together foster a sound balance between human life and the
environment. It is also an amazing showcase of cutting-edge technologies,
which give us solutions to myriad global issues and enable the sustainable
development of the world economy.

Visitors will experience “ Nature's Wisdom” in the following three contexts:
I. Rediscovering Nature

Learning more about how the earth works is something we should do first.
You will feel the dynamism of our planet at the 360-degree spherical Earth
Vision. You will see an extinct mammoth just excavated from the frozen soil
of Russia, which is a stark reminder of the true meaning of global warming.
The Expo site itself is located in unspoiled natural surroundings, where
you will feel the mystic forces of breathing trees and flowers.
II. An Eco-Friendly Life with Nature's Wisdom

The history of humankind has been one of learning from nature's wisdom, and
there are many examples of ancient wisdom which show how humankind and
nature can coexist in harmony. Fused nicely with modern technologies, such
traditional wisdom will grab the spotlight again: The outer shell of the
Japan Pavilion is made of bamboo, which has long been used as a natural
sunshade in Japanese communities.

The roof of the pavilion will be sprinkled with recycled water, which is
another traditional method to significantly lower the temperature inside.
Of course, you will also see state-of-the-art eco-technologies everywhere
around the Expo site: Fuel cell hybrid buses, which will carry visitors to
and from the site, produce no carbon dioxide or harmful pollutants.

The tableware used at food courts will consist of earth-friendly utensils
made mainly of biomass, derived from plants and other recyclable organic
matters. All of the electricity supplied to the Japan Pavilions will be
generated through an on-site new energy system, in which even the garbage
from visitors is converted into fuel.
III. Visit the Future with Nature's Wisdom

By fully exploiting the infinite potential of science and technology, we
can travel forward in time to see earth-friendly communities of the future.
You will see a variety of robots moving all around the site; some of them
will taking to you like a friend, some of them will be cleaning up the
site, and some of them will be playing trumpets. A convoy of three
intelligent buses will move automatically-- without any human driver on
board - and a smart futuristic vehicle for individual personal use will
also be introduced to the public. The Expo' s “ubiquitous” information
technology environment, filled with advanced mobile communication
technologies, will assist visitors in traveling efficiency within the site.

EXPO 2005 intends to create new prototypes for the future of our children
and grandchildren, since it is they who will soon be at the forefront of
integrating nature, technology, and culture. It is an ideal opportunity to
enable them to experience all the wonder of Nature's Wisdom. Education and
entertainment, in particular, are important for young children. To satisfy
their curiosity to the greatest extent possible, EXPO 2005 will offer
exciting and amusing programs in collaboration with world-famous animation
film producers.
A Grand Intercultural Symphony

Nature is a global kaleidoscope. People interact with nature in countless
ways, and these interactions generate immense global diversity in
lifestyles, cultural traditions, and traditional and modern arts. EXPO 2005
is a place where people of various countries meet together, communicate
among each other, exchange and fuse the diverse “wisdom” they have, and
create a brand-new tune of global harmony. In this sense, EXPO 2005 is a
“grand intercultural symphony”.

Historically, Japan has absorbed a huge volume of wisdom from the world
into its domestic culture-from traditional Oriental philosophy to modern
Western civilization, and from the cultural heritage derived from ancient
Asia to contemporary “hip-hop” fashion. These various cultural assets do
not just coexist in harmony; they continuously blend and fuse together to
give birth to a totally new product. This is the major driving force of
Japan's industrial development, and Japan is proud to play host to this
grand intercultural symphony at EXPO 2005 with this background in mind.

In cooperation with more than 120 countries from five continents, a wide
range of cultural legacy and artistic beauty of the world will be displayed
throughout the Expo site, and numerous world-class performers will appear
on stage every day. The “Love the Earth” international music project is
just one example.

EXPO 2005 focuses not only on entertainment, but also on promoting dialogue
among world intellectuals. This going to be an exposition that addresses
issues and asks questions, focusing on environmental, energy, population,
urban development, and other areas of global concern. Through various
seminars and symposia, EXPO 2005 envisages creation of a global wisdom
network and a long-term intellectual heritage.
The Global Loop in the Forests

The venue for experiencing Nature's Wisdom and for joining in the Grand
Intercultural Symphony is constructed in a way carefully designed to
minimize the environmental load. Existing forests and ponds in the Expo
site are utilized in their natural state to the greatest extent possible,
so that water and greenery combine in harmony. The Global Loop, a
2.6-kilometer-long elevated corridor connecting all the exhibits of
official participants, offers a smooth and barrier-free access to each
country's pavilion; at the same time, it has eliminated the necessity of
cutting down trees or filling in ponds. Pavilions around the Global Loop
are built in full respect for the “3 Rs” (Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle), and
the Expo site will return to its original conditions after the Expo is
over. An extensive environmental assessment has been carried out, with
results being regularly reviewed. These eco-friendly efforts are just some
of the great challenges that Japan has tackled in connection with this Expo.

Aichi is an ideal place to host this Expo, which showcases the infinite
potential for sustainable development with Nature's Wisdom. Aichi, in the
heartland of Japan, is a rich agricultural area with fertile farmland. For
example, Aichi is the No.1 producer of flowers-such as roses and
chrysanthemums-in Japan. At the same time, Aichi is a focus of Japan's
industrial development, from crafting traditional porcelain housewares to
manufacturing high-tech automobiles. The headquarters of Toyota Motor Co.,
Ltd. is located in Aichi, so it is no wonder that Aichi is now the engine
for the whole Japanese economy.

  Why “Nature's Wisdom”?
Overcoming a dual challenge: Japan's experience

Looking back at the history of Japan, one can see that Japan has faced a
dual challenge-in focusing on economic development while at the same time
preserving its precious natural environment. In spite of the fact that
Japan lacks vast open spaces and abundant mineral resources, it has
achieved industrial development and prosperity without destroying its
natural environment. This has been possible not only through the diligence
of the Japanese people themselves, but also through the application of
traditional wisdom, as well as by the research and development of
technology. Our ancestors aimed to benefit from nature without harming it,
and they developed ways of maintaining a mutually dependent and beneficial
relationship with nature. In the course of this process, it was essential
to acquire deep insight and knowledge of nature's characteristics, and to
invent modalities for utilizing nature's bounty in a sustainable manner,
while making a positive contribution to nature itself. This kind of
exercise has long been a part of the Japanese culture and way of life. I
addition, through exchange with other countries and regions, Japan has
developed a vast storehouse of knowledge on nature and its utilization, in
areas ranging from food and clothing to housing. These efforts were made
not just to introduce foreign knowledge as it is, but to adapt the
knowledge so it blended with the Japanese culture and natural environment;
this consequently led to the development of a new lifestyle while
maintaining the Japanese cultural identity.
Technology: the key to finding answers

In order to create a new interface between nature and life in the 21st
century, the global community needs to invent a new way of life—one which
is compatible with the remaining natural environment at the global level.
This is why Japan has decided to host Expo 2005 with the main theme of
“Nature's Wisdom”. Japan intends to make this exposition a laboratory for
addressing global issues and to experiment with reestablishing the
relationship between human beings and nature. Technology will play a
crucial role in these efforts. Technology is a means of enhancing
industrial development, and therefore is often considered as inherently
eco-destructive. However, the history of Japan is evidence that this is not
the truth. On the contrary, technology is the key to finding answers to
global issues and identifying a new dimension in the development of humanity.

On one hand, technology is an indispensable medium for bringing the
richness of nature into our lives. As just one example, consider new energy
sources, such as solar and wind power, which can hardly be utilized in
modern society without the aid of technology. The more technology advances,
the more costs decrease. Theses benefits can be widely distributed.

Seen from another aspect, technology has enormous potential to minimize the
possible negative effects on the environment brought about by improvements
in living standards and global population growth. Furthermore there is also
huge potential for it to contribute to the preservation of nature, by
applying it to efforts to maintain biodiversity, and repair damage to the
environment.
Culture: defining the future of technology

In this regard, establishment of more harmonious interaction between nature
and human life may be feasible through technological progress. However,
technology alone cannot solve the global issues we are facing. It is the
will of the peoples of the world, and their ways of life, that determine
the kinds of technology to be invested in and utilized, and in which ways.
It should be kept in mind that our way of life is closely related to our
customs, traditions, and culture. Introducing new technology often has a
broad impact on our cultural life in various ways. In some cases it helps
us create a new style of culture and enriches our cultural diversity. Other
times, it may lead to the deterioration of old traditions and cultural values.

Therefore, not only do nature and technology need to go hand in hand, but
technology and cultural life also need to coexist in a harmonious and
creative way. It is obvious that the preservation of nature cannot be
pursued country by country, as nature knows no borders.

It can only be promoted and achieved collectively, through efforts on a
global scale. In fact, this is also true for culture, as no one culture has
been or will be completely independent of other cultures: to a greater or
lesser degree, every culture has been influenced by other cultures in its
formation and development. This exchange and interaction between different
cultures greatly contributes to the enrichment of cultures on a global level.
A new balance between nature, technology and culture

We expect this exposition will give impetus to the establishment of
programs for the development of nature, technology, and culture as well as
new and well-balanced relationships among them, with the goal of bettering
our lives and our planet. This will be achieved through collecting and
presenting both traditional and new aspects of “Nature's Wisdom” from each
nation and its people.

Placing Importance on Citizen Participation

As we have entered the twenty-first century, the importance of citizens,
nonprofit organizations, and nongovernmental organizations as major
elements of society will continue to grow. In order to make the EXPO 2005
theme of “Nature's Wisdom” a reality, it is extremely important to share
with the world the nature of the partnerships involving citizen participation.

The role of citizens is not merely a passive one of plugging the gaps left
by the market and government; citizens have within them the latent
potential to respond flexibly to the global issues and needs of society in
the twenty-first century in ways that differ from the conceptions of
existing frameworks.

In addition, faithfully pursing their own mission wins sympathy from even
greater numbers of citizens, offering the chance to organically link
various types of volunteer activities. The arrival of the Internet
society—the symbol of the age of information technology—has also further
strengthened bonds among citizens, and the scope of activity has grown from
within citizens' own country to the point where it is now very easy to
expand those activities overseas.

EXPO 2005 calls for the participation of citizens who bring with them a
variety of perspectives. The participation of citizens beyond their own
station will be effective in changing points of view, realizing mutual
understanding of differing standpoints, and finding problem areas and
devising solutions. EXPO 2005 aims to create opportunities to develop this
type of citizen participation.

The Official Web Site of EXPO 2005 AICHI JAPAN is supported by IBM Japan, Ltd.

© Japan Association for the

The Official Web Site of EXPO 2005 AICHI JAPAN is supported by IBM Japan, Ltd.

© Japan Association for the 2005 World Expositio

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network
(805) 962-2571
sbpcnet at silcom.com
www.sbpermaculture.org

"We are like trees, we must create new leaves, in new directions, in order to
grow." - Anonymous