[Ccpg] Ecosa Institute Summer 2005 Hands-On Workshops in Sustainability Prescott, Arizona

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network sbpcnet at silcom.com
Thu Jan 27 11:26:40 PST 2005

Ecosa Institute
Summer 2005 Hands-On Workshops in Sustainability
Known for its innovative semester programming the Ecosa Institute now offers a
series of four-week hands-on workshops in sustainable materials and
techniques.
These intensive workshops are for those who are looking for an in-depth
experience at a deeper level of knowledge than is offered in shorter programs.
These programs are designed for students, architects, designers, builders and
others who are interested in exploring ways of reducing impacts on our
environment.

“The program has honestly changed the way I look at building and the
environment.” Alumni

Hands-On Exploration of Sustainable Building Materials & Methods
May 16  June 10, 2005
Guest Speaker Pliny Fisk
Ecosa Institute will offer this intensive four-week workshop investigating and
experimenting with a range of new and old materials and their methods of
construction. The program is designed for the general public, students,
builders, and architects.  There are no pre-requisites.
You will meet with a distinguished group of speakers and practitioners and
experiment through building with sustainable materials that are either new to
the construction industry or not generally used in commercial construction. We
will examine the economics and regulatory issues related to the use of
“alternative” materials and gain an insight into ways in which alternative
materials may be brought into the mainstream. During the workshop we will be
building a small structure for a school and visit buildings and sites using
innovative ways of reducing energy use and impacts on our land, water and
air.
We will experiment with a number of new products on the market and review
techniques for their use.  Experimental materials and non-traditional uses for
standard materials will be explored.

Permaculture and Water in Arid Regions
July 11  Aug 5, 2005
Guest Speaker John Todd
This 4-week intensive workshop is designed for professionals, students and the
general public. Those completing it will receive a Permaculture Designer
Certificate. It will include hands-on exploration of the process of
landscaping
and agriculture through the use of permaculture design. There are no
pre-requisites.
We will examine many techniques for the redesign of streets, parking areas,
parks and landscapes that encourage water conservation. We will discover the
many aspects of food production within landscapes that require minimum
maintenance and provide a permanent source for urban environments. In addition
we will be examining one of the most pressing global issues of the next
decade:
the critical loss of water resources throughout the world. We will be engaged
on projects that will address both of these issues offering practical, simple,
ways to bring sustainability to human habitats. In addition we will engage in
the construction of an ecological machine for water treatment and spend time
with its inventor - John Todd. We will meet with experts throughout the
southwest in permaculture techniques, water catchment, treatment and
strategies
for sustainable management.

For more information or to register:
www.ecosainstitute.org
info at ecosainstitute.org
(928) 541-1002

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network
(805) 962-2571
sbpcnet at silcom.com
www.sbpermaculture.org

"We are like trees, we must create new leaves, in new directions, in order to
grow." - Anonymous