[Ccpg] FEB 2005/Permaculture Mtg Santa Barbara CA & Events Announcement List

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network sbpcnet at silcom.com
Sun Jan 30 07:29:59 PST 2005

Hi Everyone-

The monthly permaculture video discussion meeting for February has been
moved up
to February 3.  This is so we might all attend the excellent environmental
speakers series SBCC Students for Sustainability Coalition are sponsoring,
beginning Feb 10, which would be our normal meeting night (see below for their
schedule). Our meeting will be at the Monte Vista Elementary School, hosted
graciously once again by teacher Judy Sims, directions and address below.

Our meeting will feature a video about the Flowering Tree Permaculture
Institute
on the Santa Clara Pueblo in New Mexico.  This is a remarkable story about
permaculture designer Joel Glanzberg and artist Roxanne Swentzell as they
take a
small patch of dry, dusty, compacted land, less than 1/8 acre in size on the
high desert of New Mexico, and turn it into a lush edible landscape with at
least 500 trees, bushes and vines.  After a few years this ex-driveway
piece of
land became almost jungle like, prompting Roxanne's kids to plea with their
mom, "please don't throw anymore seeds out, they might GROW"!  Now that's
abundance.  We will also bring along Our Home, Flowering Tree, the photo album
book Roxanne put together chronicling this amazing transformation.

This meeting will follow our regular agenda, but we also want to encourage any
of you who would like to teach a small session on permaculture or skill
building to come prepared to do a 10-15 minute teaching.  If we have more than
one ready to teach, we will start a list for future meetings, this is a great
opportunity to learn teaching skills and flexibility, what permaculture
teachers
need most.
    * 6:30-7pm Gathering & Food Sharing (bring your own cup if you can)
    * 7:15-7:30 Announcements (what's going on in other organizations you
belong
    to)
    * 7:30-8 Share & Tell (events you've attended, projects you been involved
    in)
    * Skill Session/Teach?
    * 8-9pm Video & Discussion

Below are directions to the meeting and other events and happenings in our
region.

Hope to see you on Feb 3-
Margie Bushman

Directions to Monte Vista School:

Monte Vista School, 730 Hope Avenue (cross street is State Street, near La
Cumbre Plaza)
located up from State Street (towards mountains), about half a mile, on the
right.  Curb and parking lot OK for parking at this time of day.  Look for
Room
#1, located just at the top of the school entrance stairs, turn right and go
through two gates, (either side of staff garden patio, behind staff room), to
Kindergarten yard and back door of classroom.

<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>
Upcoming Schedule & Events:
Condensed list by date, more comprehensive detailed descriptions follow

1.  Feb 3 6:30-9pm, Thursday, Permaculture Video Discussion Group Meeting

2. Feb 3, 4, 5 Tree Planting Weekend, Cuyama Learning Center

3. FEB. 10: “Water, Ecology and Healthy Communities.” (See #5 for series
details)
    Len Duhl, Professor of Public Health, UC Berkeley, Founder of Healthy
Cities
Initiative
    Michael Lerner, President and Founder of Commonweal, MacArthur Fellow and
Author.

4.  Feb 12:  Road Trip to LA EcoVillage, City Repair Project

5.  Feb-March 2005, 7-9pm, Thursdays, SBCC Student Sustainability Coalition
Environmental Speakers Series.
Speakers include, Ianto Evans, Brock Dolman, Penny Livingston, Bill Roley, Bob
Cannard, many others, please commit, circle dates on your calendars, this
is an
extraordinary effort by the SBCC Student Sustainability Coalition worthy of
our
support.

6.  Feb 21- April 14 2005 Common Vision Fruit TreesTour For Schools

7.  March, April, May 2005 Permaculture Design Course, Los Angeles/ weekends
     EcoUrbanism and the Future of Sustainability

EVENT DETAILS:
<<<<<<>>>>>
1. Thursday, Feb 3, 6:30-9pm, Monte Vista Elementary School
Ongoing South Coast Permaculture Guild Video Discussion Group

Covers Permaculture Principles and Practices in Santa Barbara, CA
Meeting (most months), 2nd Thursday of the month at members houses.
This will be an interactive meeting showing videos covering many parts of a
lecture series on Permaculture Design by Bill Mollison, one of the founders of
Permaculture. Audio tapes, other permaculture videos, slides and discussion
each month. For more info and directions contact Margie Bushman
805-962-2571 or
sbpcnet at silcom.com, www.sbpermaculture.org

<<
2.  Feb 4, 5, 6 2005
     Tree Planting Weekend at Cuyama Learning Center

        Details about the upcoming "work weekend and tree planting" at the
Cuyama Learning Center Santa Barbara on February 4th,5th and 6th.  Just last
week we were fortunate to have Larry
Santoyo and his wife Kathryn come out to the center and offer us their expert
advice and ideas on permaculture design for the site.  We are ecstatic at all
the possibilities over the coming years for this center to develop into an
important resource for many different constituencies from our community.
        If you would like to attend the weekend, or part of it, please RSVP by
email (clc at wyp.org) soon.  I will send you directions and gate combinations
when I know you are coming.  We are asking for folks to bring heaps of
bio-mass
(kitchen scraps, leaves, sawdust, clipping, wood chips, etc.)  up with you for
our compost building project as well as 1 and 5 gallon potting buckets.  We
are
also looking for a large amount of shade cloth if you know of any around that
could be donated.  Please bring a small hand shovel, gloves (if you use them),
some food/side dishes and snacks to go with the main dishes that we provide,
and your own camping gear.

Warren Brush
Wilderness Youth Project
Founding Director
w at wyp.org
805.886.7239

<<
3.  Feb. 10: “Water, Ecology and Healthy Communities.” (See #5 for series
details)
    Len Duhl, Professor of Public Health, UC Berkeley, Founder of Healthy
Cities
Initiative
    Michael Lerner, President and Founder of Commonweal, MacArthur Fellow and
Author.

<<
4.  Feb 12, Saturday GUILD ROADTRIP to LA for City Repair Project at LA
Ecovillage

We are doing a roadtrip to participate in the A City Repair project
www.cityrepair.org  in order to learn the process and to participate doing
it. we will leave SB at 8am Sat Feb 12 and return  to SB between 7 and 8 pm
Please call 805-962- 2571 or email sbpcnet at silcom.com to let us know if you
are
coming

CITY REPAIR LA Ecovillage
At the Intersection of Bimini and White House Place in L.A. Eco-Village
We'll be finishing what we started when we got rained out on December
Wear old clothes and shoes, bring food to share. We'll be making music,
fun and change in L.A. The street will be closed off. If it rains, event is
cancelled.

Now a national movement, City Repair is about cities, towns, grids and the
intersections where our lives can converge. Multidisciplinary, City Repair
combines architecture, urban planning, anthropology, community development,
public art, permaculture and ecological design in projects that transform
public space. Formed in 1996, City Repair was conceived as an "antivirus"
to combat isolation and over-commodification of conventionally designed
cities, by literally inserting villages into cities.

<<
5. February-March 2005 7-9pm
    Creating a Sustainable Future: Ecology, Ethics and Design Speaker Series

The class meets on consecutive Thursdays in February and March from 7 to 9
p.m.
in Thornton Auditorium at the Wake Center, 300 N. Turnpike Rd. except for Mar.
31 when it meets in Room 1004 in UCSB’s Girvetz Hall. Admission is free and is
open to the public on a first-come, first-served basis.

SPEAKERS & THEIR TOPICS
FEB. 10: “Water, Ecology and Healthy Communities.”
¨       Len Duhl, Professor of Public Health, UC Berkeley, Founder of Healthy
Cities Initiative
¨       Michael Lerner, President and Founder of Commonweal, MacArthur Fellow
and Author.

FEB. 17: “Local Economies and Democratic Decision Making.”
¨       Katy Mamen, International Society for Ecology and Culture.
¨       Adam Wolpert, Occidental Art and Ecology Center.

FEB. 24: “Seven Generations: Thinking of the Future”
¨       Tiahoga Ruge, Mexican Minister of Sustainable Education and
Development.
¨       Matthew Fox, President, University of Creation Spirituality.

MAR. 3: “The Wisdom of the Watershed: Natural Flows and Natural Design.”
¨       Brock Dolman, Occidental Art and Ecology Center.
¨       Penny Livingston, Regenerative Design Institute.

MAR. 10, “Troubled Waters: Politics and Ecology.”
¨       Dame Anita Roddick, Author, Philanthropist.
¨       Robert Wilkinson, Water Policy Consultant.
¨       Carolee Krieger, California Water Impact Network.

MAR. 17: “Aquatic Cycles and Planetary Health.”
¨       Richard C. Murphy, Ocean Futures Society.
¨       West Marrin, Author, Universal Water.

MAR. 24: “From Cradle to Cradle: Creative Pathways to Sustainable Living.”
¨       Ianto Evans , Applied Ecologists and Landscape Architect
¨       Bill Roley, Applied Ecologist, Environmental Instructor, Consultant.

MAR. 31: “The New Alchemy: Transforming Water and Soil.”
¨       Dr. Chiu-Nan Lai, Director, Lapis Lazuli Light Institute
¨       Bob Cannard, Restoration Ecologist/Organic Farmer

The series was created through an inspired collaboration with the following
community groups: Walter H. Capps Foundation; Institute of Reverential
Ecology;
Walter H. Capps Center for the Study of Religion, Ethics & Public Life;
Occidental Art and Ecology Center; El Capitan Canyon Campground; SBCC Student
Sustainability Coalition; Ocean Futures Society; Institute of World
Culture; La
Casa de Maria; University of California Education for Sustainable Living
Program; and International Society for Ecology and Culture.

Contact : SBCC    www.biosbcc.net
Student Sustainability Coalition   Lief Skogberg  lief_forest at hotmail.com  or
Shawn Jacobson sbccssc at yahoo.com 805-252-3031

Retreat  May 29-May 1
In addition to the lecture series  there will be a weekend retreat with select
faculty members offered in Santa Barbara . Organized by Institute of
Reverential Ecology , the retreat will include morning seminars , afternoon
hikes and evening panels exploring ways in creating a sustainable future.

Contact  Institute of Reverential Ecology  Philip Grant
phil at reverentialecology.org

<<
6.  Feb 21- April 14 Common Vision Fruit Trees For Schools Tour
www.commonvision.org
San Diego-Eureka CA
THE VISION of FRUIT TREES!!!

Tenatitive LOCAL DATES TO HELP SANTA BARBARA/VENTURA

March 5/6/7 Sun /Mon  Indian National University http://www.inuniversity.org/
(behind Ojai on Hwy #33 near Lockwood Valley Rd)
Planning organic tree planting, and for brainstorming for the school, evening
campfire, etc.
Contact is Maiwo  maiwo at rain.org,  maiwo at inuniversity.org, 805-947-6713

March 2005, Art Barn Ventura (waiting for final date)
March 2005, Monte Vista School Santa Barbara (waiting for date to be
finalized)

By getting students and their teachers in touch with the Earth by planting
fruit trees we create a catalyst to transform the schools in California
into physical models of sustainability. Fruit trees begin to help transform
social paradigm of scarcity to abundance.

How do fruit tree planting tours lead to retrofitting California schools
into models of sustainability?
Next to water, fruit trees are the first step to creating a more
sustainable world. Common Vision is creating a network of schools that will
lead the country into designing wholistic living systems. Each time we
return to a site we make physical steps towards this goal by adding a new
element to make a more functional system of self sufficiency. For example
some elements of such a system are closed loop water systems to irrigate
the orchards, building earthen benches and classroom additions, installing
Photovoltaic solar panels for electricity, solar hot water panels, and on
site compost.

Once a school is retrofit, then what?
The vision comes to maturity when schools become models of sustainability
because then they are ready to be propagation centers for food forest
corridors and community retrofitting. As schools mature in this design,
education from these schools will also mature in a way that embodies the
ethics and services of stewardship. This way as students grow their
connection to the environment, the community they live in, and their sense
of ownership of these things will enable good decision making for people
everywhere as a whole.

Food forest corridors and Community retrofitting?
Food forest corridors are non motorized pathways that connect residential
and business areas by edible landscape. These lands, owned by the municipal
park systems are developed and maintained by the school system. In
Portland, Oregon CITY REPAIR is a project that has been germinating a way
for people and schools to be involved with localizing, community building,
and retrofitting the physical urban environment. City Repair provides a
good model for California to adopt.

What are the methods to advance schools to physical models of sustainability?
Common Visions' staff are experienced service learning facilitators. We
continue to develop our program so that students and their teachers are
involved in any installation of system elements we implement. Our
Facilitation includes basic written instructions and curriculum follow up
suggestions for teachers to incorporate into their own lesson plans.
Common Vision also uses the music, song, and story of indigenous cultures
to convey the importance and depth of the work we are all doing together.

What do we need??
Volunteers for the spring season
•Volunteers receives organic meals for their participation
•Possible stipend available
Diesel vehicles; busses, trucks and runner vehicles
Digital Documentation/Projection equipment
Tools and Materials
•Organic trees and compost
•Shovels
•Picks
•Drip irrigation
•Hoses
•5 -15 gallon containers

Costume/Prop designer
Drums

How Can You Help?
A side from your monetary donations or contributing items on the needs list
we need:
•Regional Coordinator
•Press Release / Media organizers
•Grant Writers / Fund Raisers
•Tour poster designer
•Curriculum developers
•Biofuel organizer
•Drivers

Contact Blair Philips stillwater at commonvision.org, Deanna Moore
jodi at commonvision.org

<<
7.  2005 PERMACULTURE DESIGN CERTIFICATE COURSE: Los Angeles, California
     EcoUrbanism and the Future of Sustainability

Permaculture is the art and science that applies patterns found in nature to
the design and construction of human and natural environments...

Homeowners, Land Managers and Design Professionals can learn simple and
elegant
ways to save time, save money and save the Earth's precious resources.

The Permaculture Design Course experience has truly transformed the lives and
enhanced the careers of thousands of people around the world.

DATES:

FIRST TWO WEEKENDS OF MARCH, APRIL & MAY 2005

PART ONE  March 5-6 and March 12-13

"Fire, Water, Earth & Air... New Ecology and Sacred Geometry":

Introduction to Permaculture and Natural Pattern Understanding

The first two weekends will cover an in-depth introduction to Permaculture
Design & Ethics of Earth Care with a special presentation on reading the
patterns of the landscape. A simple foundation for understanding indicators of
sustainability and other patterns of the natural world.

PART TWO  April 2-3 and April 9-10
"Food, Water, Shelter & Energy... Earth-Friendly Techniques ":

Sustainable Resource Management, Building the Home Ecosystem.

The second part will focus on: easy techniques for designing, remodeling &
building a complete green home, alternative energy & fuels, restorative
agriculture and natural building, as well as learning ancient techniques for
earth stewardship and land restoration.

PART THREE   May 7-8 and 14-15
"Creating Community...  Eco-Urbanism and Eco-Economics":
EcoVillage Design and Community Celebration

The final sessions will feature: community building & "creating a sense of
place," patterns of human dynamics, intentional communities & eco-villages. We
will also learn strategies for creating community-wide sustainability and
methods for finding our own right-livelihoods.  Design team presentations and
awards. -Mother's Earth Day celebration and talent show!

Six Weekend Intensive Features:

AN ALL-STAR TEACHING TEAM

Join the finest gatherings of veteran Permaculture Teachers and
Internationally
Acclaimed Educators and Leaders in the Worldwide Sustainability Movement...
Teaching Team is led by:

LARRY SANTOYO, Director, EarthFlow Design Works & The Center of Natural
Design.

With very special guest instructors including:

TOBY HEMENWAY, Author, Gaia's Garden;
SCOTT PITTMAN, Director, The Permaculture Institute,
PENNY LIVINGSTON-STARK, Founder, Regenerative Design Institute;

Special Presentations by:
MARK LAKEMAN, Founder, City Repair.
DR. BILL ROLEY, Director, Permaculture Institute of Southern California.

-PLUS other local experts and guest speakers.

LOCATIONS
* The Los Angeles Eco-Home is an ongoing living research center that
demonstrates ecological living in an urban environment. www.EcoHome.org

* The Green Building Resource Center, a partnership between Global Green USA
and the City of Santa Monica. http://www.globalgreen.org/gbrc/

* Other venues and field trips will take us in and around Los Angeles...

HANDS ON LEARNING
Design Exercises, Observation Skills, Innovative Gardening, Natural Building,
Sustainable Landscape Construction, Art in the Garden & More...

NEW & EXPANDED CURRICULUM
This course meets all requirements for Certification and also includes new and
expanded material including:  Natural Building with Cob, Straw, Earthbags,
Bamboo, Alternative Fuels, Human Dynamics, Deep Ecology, Eco-Urbanism,
MicroVillage Development & More...

REGISTER FOR ALL OR PART
Each weekend is designed to build on what we have learned in the previous
sessions -but any day can be easily attended on its own.  Full attendance is
required for Certification.

TUITION COSTS
$80.00 per day
$150.00 per weekend
$80.00 per day
$150.00 per weekend
$850.00 for Certification (all six weekends)

TO REGISTER CONTACT:
David Silverstone at  (323) 465-7653 or email <david at greeningplanet.com>

FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT:
Larry Santoyo at (805) 459.0452 or email <permaculture at earthflow.com>

In cooperation with:
Greening Development and Consulting, EcoHome, The Green Building Resource
Center, HopeDance Media, Santa Barbara Permaculture Guild, The Los Angeles
Permaculture Guild, The Permaculture Institute of Southern California, The
Terra Foundation, The Permaculture Institute, PatternLiteracy.com,
FoodForestry, City Repair,
EarthFlow Design Works

-end-

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network
(805) 962-2571
sbpcnet at silcom.com
www.sbpermaculture.org

"We are like trees, we must create new leaves, in new directions, in order to
grow." - Anonymous