[Ccpg] UUPDATE : Students Reaching Out!!! Santa Barbara City College Student Sustainability Coalition

Wesley Roe and Marjorie Lakin Erickson lakinroe at silcom.com
Tue Feb 1 06:53:40 PST 2005

SORRY FOR DUPLICATE , BELOW IS THE CORRECT EMAIL CONTACTS

hi everyone
         An amazing group of students, the Student Sustainability Coalition
(SSC) at Santa Barbara City College (SBCC) are changing the campus
presently and laying the groundwork for change in the future , this is a
great beginning . They need the financial help of the community for their
upcoming program (Creating a Sustainable Future: Ecology, Ethics and
Design) . Margie Bushman and I will personally donate $200 to help, and
hope others in the Permaculture Community can give financial support too.
If you can't give a donation please attend the Lecture Series and  give $10
or more at each lecture to help support this amazing program. A little bit
of help from each person creates the energy  of hope to make things happen
in our community.
                         wes roe and margie bushman

EXCERPT FROM EMAIL BELOW Student Sustainability Coalition (SSC) at Santa
Barbara City College (SBCC),
" we are energetically working towards making SBCC a leading model for
Ecological Literacy and Sustainable Development.  We have helped organized
a new recycling system, we helped get culinary food scraps back out in the
Horticulture garden for composting,  and I recently turned into the Student
Senate a Resolution for a more Sustainable campus requesting things such as
renewable energy, green buildings, and water catchment systems to name a
few.  The latest and most formidable task of the Student Sustainability
Coalition is our education and outreach component.  We have been
co-organizing a lecture series through Adult Education entitled, "Creating
a Sustainable Future: Ecology, Ethics, and Design" (Info on speakers and
class schedule details : www.biosbcc.net), while at the same time we
organized SBCC students to enroll in the class getting credit for attending
the lecture series and participating in "Action Research Group Projects" on
SBCC campus.  This is a revolutionary class design and student initiated
class that has been a tremendous amount of work, but it is for
sustainability and is truly worth it."

"Now is the time where the wise and influential elders come to show their
support for the youth by attending the lecture series and bringing everyone
they know, and by helping this important student movement become a success
by giving a financial donation (tax deductable) to the SBCC SSC."

Contact : SBCC www.biosbcc.net
Shawn Jacobson-  Co-founder, & Co-chair of Student Sustainabiltity
Coalition @ SBCC
Fundraising Co-ordinator          Cell
#:  805.252.3031           Email:  se_jacobson at yahoo.com

or myself:
Leif Skogberg-   Co-founder, & Chair of SSC @ SBCC
Group Project Co-ordinator        Cell #:  805.886.6251         Email:
leif_forest at hotmail.com

>From: "Leif Skogberg" <leif_forest at hotmail.com>
>
>Subject: Students Reaching Out!!!
>Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 13:39:11 -0800
>C:98.7678 )
>
>Dear SB Community and Friends,
>     My name is Leif Skogberg and I am an Environmental Horticulture
> student at SBCC.  Over the past two years I have been studying the most
> sustainable ways of practicing Horticulture and I have been very inspired
> by our ability as humans to work with the natural systems of life and at
> times even enhance them.  I am writing this email for two reasons:  1.)
> To explain simply that there is a movement of students in California who
> would like to create a sustainable future (myself being one of
> them),   and 2.)  To request each and every one of you to actively
> participate in helping the youth movement.
>     I am President and Co-founder of the Student Sustainability Coalition
> (SSC) at Santa Barbara City College (SBCC), and we are energetically
> working towards making SBCC a leading model for Ecological Literacy and
> Sustainable Development.  We have helped organized a new recycling
> system, we helped get culinary food scraps back out in the Horticulture
> garden for composting,
>and I recently turned into the Student Senate a Resolution for a more
>Sustainable campus requesting things such as renewable energy, green
>buildings, and water catchment systems to name a few.  The latest and most
>formidable task of the Student Sustainability Coalition is our education
>and outreach component.  We have been co-organizing a lecture series
>through Adult Education entitled, "Creating a Sustainable Future: Ecology,
>Ethics, and Design" (Info on speakers and class schedule details :
>www.biosbcc.net), while at the same time we organized SBCC students to
>enroll in the class getting credit for attending the lecture series and
>participating in "Action Research Group Projects" on SBCC campus.  This is
>a revolutionary class design and student initiated class that has been a
>tremendous amount of work, but it is for sustainability and is truly worth it.
>     Now is the time where the wise and influential elders come to show
> their support for the youth by attending the lecture series and bringing
> everyone they know, and by helping this important student movement become
> a success by giving a financial donation (tax deductable) to the SBCC SSC.
>We are in dire need of financial support to cover our portion of the
>speaker costs and travel expenses, as well as expenses related to class
>promotion.
>Sponsars will be formally thanked at the panel lectures either verbally,
>visually, or both, depending on donation amount.
>For more information on how you can help support this important student
>initiated program please contact:
>Shawn Jacobson-  Co-founder, & Co-chair of Student Sustainabiltity
>Coalition @ SBCC
> [...]
Creating a Sustainable Future: Ecology, Ethics and Design. in new
environmental education series on consecutive Thursdays in February and
March from 7 to 9 p.m. Santa Barbaar CA
www.biosbcc.net
Distinguished guests featured in new environmental education series
Participants include Michael Lerner, Matthew Fox, Amory Lovins and Dame Anita
Roddick
On Thursday, Feb. 10, SBCC Continuing Education, the Walter H. Capps
Foundation, the Institute of Reverential Ecology, the Walter H. Capps Center
for Religion, Ethics and Public Policy and a host of other community
organizations will launch an inspirational new discussion series,
Creating a Sustainable Future: Ecology, Ethics and Design.
At a time when national and international politics offer little hope, people
around the world are using ecology as a new paradigm to transform their
habitats into communities of promise and possibility. Encompassing every facet
of life, from the psychological to the social and environmental, popular
understanding of the deeper meaning of interdependence has grown into a
worldwide grassroots movement of enormous implications for the future.
This class, moderated by Philip Grant, Ph.D. will explore the diverse yet
complementary strands of this new way of thinking and living. Weekly panel
discussions will bring together a bevy of distinguished guests, local leaders
and students who are working in different ways to make this new paradigm come
alive.
“For the first time in the history of our Environmental Education program,
students from SBCC and UCSB have been a part of the working group. They are
bringing energy, enthusiasm and commitment to the cause. Their involvement
bodes well for the future of the earth,” notes Continuing Education program
coordinator Kristine Power.
The class meets on consecutive Thursdays in February and March from 7 to 9
p.m.
in Thornton Auditorium at the Wake Center, 300 N. Turnpike Rd. except for Mar.
31 when it meets in Room 1004 in UCSB’s Girvetz Hall. Admission is free and is
open to the public on a first-come, first-served basis.
SPEAKERS & THEIR TOPICS
FEB. 10: “Water, Ecology and Healthy Communities.”
¨ Len Duhl, Professor of Public Health, UC Berkeley, Founder of Healthy
Cities Initiative
¨ Michael Lerner, President and Founder of Commonweal, MacArthur Fellow
and Author.
FEB. 17: “Local Economies and Democratic Decision Making.”
¨ Katy Mamen, International Society for Ecology and Culture.
¨ Adam Wolpert, Occidental Art and Ecology Center.
FEB. 24: “Seven Generations: Thinking of the Future”
¨ Tiahoga Ruge, Mexican Minister of Sustainable Education and
Development.
¨ Matthew Fox, President, University of Creation Spirituality.
MAR. 3: “The Wisdom of the Watershed: Natural Flows and Natural Design.”
¨ Brock Dolman, Occidental Art and Ecology Center.
¨ Penny Livingston, Regenerative Design Institute.
MAR. 10, “Troubled Waters: Politics and Ecology.”
¨ Dame Anita Roddick, Author, Philanthropist.
¨ Robert Wilkinson, Water Policy Consultant.
¨ Carolee Krieger, California Water Impact Network.
MAR. 17: “Aquatic Cycles and Planetary Health.”
¨ Richard C. Murphy, Ocean Futures Society.
¨ West Marrin, Author, Universal Water.
MAR. 24: “From Cradle to Cradle: Creative Pathways to Sustainable Living.”
¨ Ianto Evans , Applied Ecologists and Landscape Arctitect
¨ Bill Roley, Applied Ecologist, Environmental Instructor, Consultant.
MAR. 31: “The New Alchemy: Transforming Water and Soil.”
¨ Dr. Chiu-Nan Lai, Director, Lapis Lazuli Light Institute
¨ Bob Cannard, Restoration Ecologist/Organic Farmer

The series was created through an inspired collaboration with the following
community groups: Walter H. Capps Foundation; Institute of Reverential
Ecology;
Walter H. Capps Center for the Study of Religion, Ethics & Public Life;
Occidental Art and Ecology Center; El Capitan Canyon Campground; SBCC Student
Sustainability Coalition; Ocean Futures Society; Institute of World
Culture; La
Casa de Maria; University of California Education for Sustainable Living
Program; and International Society for Ecology and Culture.

Contact : SBCC www.biosbcc.net
Student Sustainability Coalition Lief Skogberg lief_forest at hotmail.com or
Shawn Jacobson sbccssc at yahoo.com 805-252-3031

Retreat May 29-May 1
In addition to the lecture series there will be a weekend retreat with select
faculty members offered in Santa Barbara . Organized by Institute of
Reverential Ecology , the retreat will include morning seminars , afternoon
hikes and evening panels exploring ways in creating a sustainable future.
Contact Institute of Reverential Ecology Philip Grant
phil at reverentialecology.org
Philip Grant, Ph.D. has taught politics and global affairs for over 30 years.
He is the founder of the Institute of Reverential Ecology in Santa Barbara
which explores the connection between spiritual, social and environmental
issues