[Ccpg] Permaculture with Patch Adams, Gesundheit! Institute, The School for Designing a Society June 1 - 30, 2005

Wesley Roe and Marjorie Lakin Erickson lakinroe at silcom.com
Fri Feb 11 08:09:04 PST 2005

The School for Designing a Society

Summer Session:
June 1 - 30, 2005
Gesundheit! Institute, Patch Adams
West Virginia
call (217) 367-2804 or send an email to enslin at prairienet.org to participate

Summer Session: June 1-30, 2005
http://www.patchadams.org/gesund_in_the_world/workshops/SDAS.html

Reviews of the 2004 Retreat

The School for Designing a Society is a project of teachers, performers,
poets, and activists. It is an ongoing experiment in making temporary
living environments where the question "What would I consider a desirable
society?" is given serious playful thinking discussion, and taken as input
to creative projects.

Rather than orienting participants to find a comfy spot in the current
social system, the School offers time, ambiance, tools, and company in
which people can imagine and design a system they would prefer.

Based in Urbana, Illinois, The School For Designing A Society will travel
this summer to the hills of West Virginia and rest at the Gesundheit!
Institute. The Gesundheit! Institute is the dream of a growing number of
people, an experiment in holistic health care based on the idea that one
cannot separate the health of the individual from the health of the family,
the community and the world. The Gesundheit! Institute's land in West
Virginia is the future construction site for a free, silly hospital
incorporating all the healing arts to address the major problems in health
care delivery and provide a model of joyful service to the world. Situated
on 310 acres in rural West Virginia — with two waterfalls, a four acre
pond, extensive gardens and orchards, and several unique buildings — we
will use the land itself as a teaching tool as well as establishing
connections between the Gesundheit! project and a desiring and designing
society.
Participants will explore the question,
"what would I consider a desirable society?"

In addition to asking participants to formulate and consult their desires,
the classes and projects in the school will make use of conceptual tools
from the areas of critical theory, cybernetics, political economy,
feminism, epic theater, theater of the oppressed, radical pedagogy, media
critique, community organizing, permaculture, and collaborative composition.
Why design?

Criticisms of the problems of the present society are often met with
justifications. Once these justifications fail, many a conversation of
hopeful intention is stopped with the (final) statement:
"The present organization of society is the best we have."

or the question:
"Do you have a better idea?"

This is a moment of possibility and not one to be left speechless. Indeed,
many a time, the respondent finds herself sputtering, filled with a spirit
of rebellion which unfortunately gets watered down to the mere language of
complaint. Having had the time and opportunity to create — in conjunction
with others of diverse experiences — detailed maps, dreams, plans, scripts,
scores, videos, and blueprints of her desirable society, we imagine the
situation could go differently. Imagine an atmosphere of audacity: She's
asked the question: "Do you have a better idea?" Everyone taking a
coffeebreak looks at her or their shoes. She looks the interlocutor in the
eye and reaches into her purse? knapsack? briefcase? kitchen drawer? for a
booklet of proposals, slaps it on the table scattering cigarette butts, and
answers:
"Here, read this—this will give you an idea of what I want."

For more on the Gesundheit! Institute go to www.patchadams.org/home.htm

For more on the School for Designing A Society go to www.designingsociety.com

Why a desirable society?

We want to address people: our neighbors and our distant neighbors who,
living in the current social system, find that this system maintains itself
at the expense of its members so that misery, poverty, hopelessness,
violence, and human degradation are daily occurrences. Our social system
tells us that human beings are the problem, and that it, the current
system, is the solution. We have taken long looks at this system, and we do
not want it. As any social system is humanly created, not natural, and is
maintained daily by human action, we wish to create new social systems, and
to change our daily patterns of action.
[...]

When we enter a system, we want to be able to formulate and institute
schemes or setups whereby we coordinate our desires in conversation. We
refer to the coordination of desires in the schemes or set ups of choice as
designing. Even when designing is adequate for the circumstances in which
it is implemented, it may prove inadequate in changing circumstances. When
we encounter unforeseen circumstances, we want to be able to invent and
pursue desirable possibilities for designing such that we conserve the
coordination of our desires in conversation.

Why a school?

A school can provide the necessary initial chaos to encourage the
generation of new thoughts.

Anyone can learn anywhere at anytime, and does; in a school, one is more
likely to find someone who will teach.

Teaching is one of the few professions to which the sharing of power is
indispensable.

In a school people can meet with the shared purpose of questioning
premises, questioning givens.

A school provides a temporary enclave against profit driven work.

What Distinguishes this School from other Schools?

There are no more than a handful of schools, in any country, based on the
desire for social change; this school proposes in addition, that social
change be based on desires. In no other school are the desires of its
students given such a high priority.

This school is organized by people who make a point of knowing how to
accept an invitation.

There are no administrators.

Unusual stress is placed on performance; but performance understood in a
particular way. Not athletic performance, bottom-line year-to-date economic
or competitive scholastic achievement award winning performance.
Performance, rather, in the sense of having an intent and choosing, from
alternatives, a preferred way of presenting that intent. Thus, this school
emphasizes performance not only in the sense of practicing music, movement,
speech, the "Performing Arts", but also in the sense of daily performance,
the performance of social roles, the performance of our identities. And
further, the interest in performance is not academic, reporting the way
things are, but active: performances, including the daily seemingly natural
ones, are treated as changeable and choosable. There will many
opportunities in this school to have fun with, to play with, to experiment
with ways of presenting intent.

We want to address language: how we speak and how language speaks us.
Inherited linguistic patterns form one of the strong arms of a social
system, often hiding and justifying oppressive structures while ruling out
the creation of alternatives to these. This strong arm is frequently left
unexamined or considered to be of minor importance. In this school, while
studying a subject, discussing an event, making a decision, we will squint
nervously at the language used, prodding each other into moments of created
eloquence.
-- Susan Parenti

This school invites looking for links between composition and designing
society, where composition is taken to mean broadly the putting together
things that have never before been put together in such a way that together
they do something they wouldn't do apart.

According to this view of composing one might learn from writing a piece of
music a new way of organizing a kitchen, or see analogies between new ways
of painting a canvas and new ways of thinking about friendship.

Structure influences content. This school tries out new learning formats
and watches how these new formats effect what is discussed.

This school is not an academic institution; is not anti-intellectual; is
not interested in doing what once worked and does not now work; is not
interested in doing what was then now yet is now then; is not interested in
basing arguments on what comes naturally.

Anti-communication and composition:

"I use the word "communication" whenever I wish to speak of a human
relation between persons and things which emerges and is maintained through
messages required and permitted by already available coding and decoding
systems or mechanisms.

I use the word "anti-communication" whenever I wish to speak of a human
relation between persons and things which emerges and is maintained through
messages requiring and permitting not yet available encoding and decoding
systems or mechanisms.

"Communication" feeds on, and speeds, the decay of information in systems
on which depends the significance of human relations.

"Anticommunication" not only retards this decay, but even creates systems
whose significance depends on human relations.

Insistence on "communication" ultimately leads to social and physical
violence.

"Anticommunication" ultimately leads to the insistence on "composition" and
peace.

I use the word "composition" whenever I wish to speak of the composer's
activity and the traces left by it. The composer is motivated by a wish of
bringing about that which without that composer and human intent would not
happen." -- Herbert Brun

"We want to compose ourselves, and, in so doing bring forth a world. Our
interrelationships bring forth ourselves and one another; we want to
romance and theorize and carefully alter our interrelations. We want the
world and the people in it to live and thrive collectively. We want to wear
lively, funny hats made out of deadly serious newspapers. We are interested
in the creation of new problems. We are interested in the significance of
experiment for the realization of social change."
-- William Gillespie
What Happens in the School?

Participants will explore the question, "what would I consider a desirable
society?" In addition to asking participants to formulate and consult their
desires, the classes and projects in the school will make use of conceptual
tools from the areas of cri tical theory, cybernetics, political economy,
feminism, epic theater, theater of the oppressed, radical pedagogy, media
critique, community organizing, permaculture, collaborative composition.

Previous summer sessions of the School for Designing a Society, (usually
lasting 4 weeks) have included such topics and projects as:

In 1992 in Urbana: describe the capitalist system at a dinner table in five
minutes; a booklet of language games; gadgets...

In 1993 at the Gesundheit! Institute in West Virginia: a video, "You Could
Live Differently"; classes formed as a result of a Problem Jostle; a
production for radio called "Spoilsport News"; s alsa dancing; design
groups; a research project on prisons; a loading dock cabaret...

In 1994 in Sioux Falls: the participatory economics model of "Looking
Forward" (Michael Albert and Robin Hahnel); modeling capitalism and
patriarchy; site specific art; oogling metaphors for social change; two
House Theaters; garage roof poetry...

In 1995 at the Horizons High School in Atlanta: doors in the sombrero of
criteria; discussions of California's Proposition 187; multiculturalism and
racism; weekly performances; the movie "Panama Deception"; music for
whirligigs; toy hammers, and squibs...

In 1996 at Dreamtime Village in Wisconsin and at Gesundheit: permaculture
workshops; neologisms; experiments in painting; puppets; Brechtian theater;
youth liberation workshop; newspoetry...
Who Might Attend?

All interested people are encouraged to apply. In previous Summer Schools
for Designing a Society, organizers and participants found that the wide
range of ages and variety of backgrounds of the participants was fruitful
and appropriate for discussing the possibility of a society designed by all
of its members.
When and Where and How Much?

The first session runs September 7th through October 29th, 2004. The second
session runs January 18th through March 11th, 2005. After a 2-month break
for planting, travel, other projects, there will be one-month session
beginning June 1, 2005 at the Gesundheit! Institute in West Virginia.

A maximum of 20 participants will be accepted for each session. For
participants juggling other commitments, part-time participation is an
option and tuition costs will be adjusted appropriately.

Meetings, classes, and projects will happen in various studios, foundation
spaces, and in our homes. The organizers will assist participants coming
from out of town in finding inexpensive places to live. We encourage
participants living communally; regular communally cooked dinners will be
part of the school.

College credit may be arranged for those participants already enrolled in a
college or university. Home schooling credit may be arranged for those of
high school age.

Tuition is $1000 per session due on the first day of classes. Monthly
payments may be arranged. Some need-based scholarships are available.
Indicate in your application how much you need and why. You may also
contact us directly about scholarship opportunities and part-time work
opportunities in the area.

"Nestled among the featureless agri-business grids of east central llinois,
Champaign-Urbana sits against the horizon like one twin small metropolis in
a region protected from tornadoes by its subtle topography. Home to the
nation's oldest experimental agricultural field, and some football team,
but the third largest university library in North America, this small town
is the home of a disproportionate number of artists, scholars and
activists. There is art here. There are quiet safe streets. But there is
one of the highest per capita beer consumption rates in the United States.
When the evening fades to dusty blue stained glass, the trees throw their
branches across the emerging stars as if frantic apparitions fending off
time's carcinogens. On nights like these we gather quietly on porches with
our cellos, baritone ukuleles and radical economic blueprints to tonight
compose the songs that will make us nostalgic tomorrow, and, the following
day, will seem weirdly quaint. This is one of the last footholds of desire
in a country destroyed by a flood of money now diminished to a trickle.
Urbana's clock tower and airraid sirens, its post office and donut shop,
its cobblestone streets lit by incandescent globes all serve to provide a
focus only vaguely akin to community. But then there's us."
--William Gillespie
School instructors:

Mark Enslin:

composer; actor; bassoonist; has worked with composition students in
Brazil; taught such classes as "Music and Protest" and "The Art of Acting
as Audience" at the University of Illinois; cofounder of the Performers'
Workshop Ensemble. enslin at prairienet.org

Susan Parenti:
composer; playwright; poet; has written and lectured extensively on
composition and feminism; has taught courses on creativity in activism,
"Protesting the Forms of Protest;" present interests: creating a feminist
composition curriculum, cybernetic theory, the politics of managed health
care, the politics of vocal timbres. Has published a book of plays,
"THE POLITICS OF THE ADJECTIVE POLITICAL AND OTHER PLAYS",
and a book of poems
"I AND MY MOUTH AND THEIR IRRESISTIBLE LIFE IN LANGUAGE"
sparenti at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu

Danielle Chynoweth:

sculptor; singer; performer; activist with a degree in politics from the
New School for Social Research, NY; present interests: performing, making
radio shows with twelve year olds, workers cooperatives, and community
organizing around local economic development policies. chyn at onthejob.net
Guest Instructors:

Lori Blewett:

coordinator of the In Residence program at Unit One/Allen Hall, a
living/learning program at the University of Illinois; has taught courses
on feminism, language and politics, race relations, conflict resolution,
public speaking; is currently research ing anti-racist activism.
lblewett at uiuc.edu

Warren Burt:

Warren Burt is a composer, performer, visual artist, radio producer and
writer who is based in Melbourne and also spends time in Urbana. He
probably travels too much, which sometimes leads to a very fluid sense of
identity.

Karina Lepley:

Karina is a gloriously loud life performer and self ascribed sexualist. She
continues lustful and dramatic love affairs with care, conflict, and
conversation. Co-founder of the Ethical Slut Posse, staunch Radical
Cheerleader and full bodied Singer. Frequently answers the question, "How
are you?" with "Hard as hell and going (s)well!"

Gossa Gebre Selassie:

gossa worked with a group co-workers at 906 s.race >in the late 1990's to
set up a painterly environment.such aspace maybe referred to as a
vibeosphere.this experience grew out of Aa Bu Gi Da in the early
1990's.gossa is currently into constructing vibeospheres in an extended
sense.sundustrialization being one of the aspects,seting up guest student
possibilities in ethiopia being the other.nowadays he holds formal
geometric discourses in his dreams(6/01)

Sam Markewich:

parent, Marxist-feminist psychotherapist, unabashed communist, writer,
composer-listener/percussionist, teacher, activist with an undying interest
in propagating new perspectives while relating with people through serene
movement, former Urbana resident and teacher/organizer of the School for
Designing a Society s7markew at earthlink.net

Bethany Cooper:

composer of music, puppets, masks, clothing, and collages; degrees in music
composition from Hampshire College and the University of Illinois; has done
research in the history and music of women composers.brcooper at uiuc.e du
Visit her on-line collage book.

Arun Chandra:

works with students in composition, performance, and the politics of art at
The Evergreen State College, conducts the Olympia Chamber Orchestra,
composes music with computers and for performers.

Maria Isabel Silva:

anthropologist with extensive research experience in Latin America and the
U.S.; organizer of a non-governmental organization to promote indigenous
culture and ecology in Ecuador; She is studying communications and video
art. Currently she is making a video documentary about the Migrant Workers
in the Midwest of the United States. mi-silva at uiuc.edu

Larry Richards

Past president of the American Society for Cybernetics; has taught
engineering management and cybernetics at Old Dominion University;
currently he is vice chancellor for academic affairs at Indiana Univeristy
East.

Sigfried Gold

The local community and environment created by the School for Designing a
Society inspired and helped Sigfried Gold to found a computer programming
business designed around the desires of its workers. OJC Technologies
(formerly On the Job Consulting) currently employs 17 people, several of
whom are or have been part of the SDaS community. This project also spun
off a not-for-profit organization that teaches Linux-based computer
programming classes for free: The Computer Learning and Mentoring Center
(CLAM).

William Gillespie:

writer; artist;radio host. willgill at prairienet.org
Visit his newspoetry site and a site of poetry assignments and examples:
Table of Forms

Patch Adams:

doctor; clown; traveling lecturer; instigator of the Gesundheit! Institute,
a large scale project to build a free, silly hospital in rural West
Virginia and transform the present society's understanding of health care.

Rick Burkhardt:
composer, playwright, member of Utopia Train theater collective and the
Prince Myshkins music group.
Past instructors:

Herbert Brun (1918-2000):

Professor Emeritus of music composition at the University of Illinois; has
held seminars in the social significance of experimental composition; has
been an invited guest at numerous conferences and held several guest
professorships in the United States and Europe; interests: how language
speaks us instead of us speaking language, the retardation of decay of
artwork, language, bodies, and love.

Steve Sloan (1948-2001):

Has taught cybernetics and systems theory, and Tai Chi Chuan; studied with
Heinz Von Foerster at the University of Illinois Biological Computer
Laboratory in the 1960s and 70s; the Steve Sloan Library at 409 N. Raace
St. in Urbana was dedicated September 15, 2001.