[Ccpg] Village Building Convergence 5 Human-Scale Community Action at the Urban Crossroads May 20-29, 2005 - Portland, OR

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network sbpcnet at silcom.com
Sun Feb 20 12:48:29 PST 2005

Village Building Convergence 5 Human-Scale Community Action at the Urban
Crossroads May 20-29, 2005 - Portland, OR

What is the Village Building Convergence? City Repair
Human-Scale Community Action at the Urban
Crossroads  http://vbc.cityrepair.org/vbc5/

Portland, OR -- A 10-day celebratory event of Portland neighborhood
communities physically transforming their own urban environment, The
Village Building Convergence: Human-Scale Community Action at the Urban
Crossroads features educational and inspirational community activities. Now
in its 5th year and taking place from May 20-29, VBC5 surrounds the
transformation of 17 neighborhood project spaces into remarkable places.
The VBC5 also features free hands-on workshops and nightly keynote
presentations by cultural visionaries from around the nation including
Leaders in the fields of green construction, community building and
permaculture and will attend from around the world.

Beyond the ten-day event, the Village Building Convergence is a statement
of our collective dedication to creating the world in which we want to be
living. At its root it is about actively building our community, and
realizing the strength and beauty of our power when we work and play
together. The process of organizing this event has not only activated over
a dozen groups of neighbors, but it has also provided experience and
training for many developing leaders in our community. Dozens of core
organizers of this event have volunteered to support these neighborhood
groups, and for many of us the VBC is also a personal journey. This 10-day
period is a reflection, action and celebration point within a larger
process of developing our community.

As an all-volunteer event, we look forward to working with you to create
this year's Village Building Convergence. Together we celebrate the culture
of our city, and build the places that enable us to call Portland "the city
of villages".

Thanks for your interest and enthusiasm for the Village Building
Convergence. As an all-volunteer driven event, we look forward to working
with you as part of this year?s event. Together we will celebrate the
culture of our city, and build the places that enable us to call Portland
the ?city of villages?.

- VBC5 Organizing Committee

Village Building Convergence 5
Human-Scale Community Action at the Urban Crossroads
May 20-29, 2005 - Portland, OR

Mission Statement: The Village Building Convergence is a Cyclical Event for
the Restoration of Communication and Sharing, Working Together to Rebuild
our Common Culture, and to Transform the City into a Network of Ecological
Village Places.

Check out photos from VBC 2004!

What is the Village Building Convergence?

For ten days in May (May 20-29th) thousands of neighbors, volunteers and
visitors will work together to continue building our physical and social
village infrastructure. Whether it is getting hands and feet muddy in
building a cob kiosk or sitting side-by-side engaging in thoughtful nightly
presentations, the Convergence is a successful statement of our common
visions for a lively urban community.

Each of the 2004 VBC sites continues to be meccas of community spirit. Many
formal and informal gatherings have continued at the sites, ranging from a
pancake picnic to block parties to musicians deciding to stop by and play.
Hundreds of visitors stroll through the sites, awed by the beauty and
feeling of thriving community life. Students continue to study the effects
of the projects on the neighborhoods' public health and vitality. And
neighbors at the sites enjoy the conversations and activities sparked at
their gathering places!

The VBC is a statement of our collective dedication to create the world in
which we want to be living. At its root it is about actively building our
community, and realizing the strength and beauty of our power when we work
and play together. With the VBC, Portland is leading the nation in
re-envisioning civic infrastructure at the grassroots level, inspiring
involvement and projects even beyond our city.

Workshops

We would like to invite you and others you know, to consider offering a
workshop as a part of this year's VBC.

The underlying theme of the VBC and therefore your workshop, is building
community. Because this is a integrative theme, the topic of a workshop
could include anything from group skills, art and community, youth
mentoring, building skills, urban design, gardening, social change and so
on. If you are interested (or you know someone that might be interested) in
offering a workshop, a proposal form with lots of details will soon be
available for downloaded here. Check back soon.

Until then, here's what to expect:
You name and describe the workshop and we will provide outreach and if we
can, a site or venue for your workshop, as well as other form of support.

Join us in restoring communication, working together to rebuild our common
culture and transforming our city into a network of ecological village places.

For idea, see the workshops that WERE offered in 2004, in addition to all
the permaculture, natural building and community building happening at the
sites. Workshops are free (a limited number require a materials fee) and
open to the public. It is not necessary to register in advance, just show
up a few minutes before the start time at the designated location and enjoy
engaging with others to create, learn and explore community building.

Contact VBC

General Info
thecircle @cityrepair.org - 503.235.8946

Volunteer Coordination
katrina @cityrepair.org

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network
(805) 962-2571
sbpcnet at silcom.com
www.sbpermaculture.org

"We are like trees, we must create new leaves, in new directions, in order to
grow." - Anonymous