[Ccpg] Upcoming Spring/Summer 2005 Courses & Workshops

Penny Livingston info at permacultureinstitute.com
Fri Mar 11 16:04:20 PST 2005

   Logo RDI NEWSLETTER
   Friday March 11th, 2005
   Upcoming Spring/Summer 2005 Courses & Workshops
   Busy Bee
   Dear Friends,
   We wanted to highlight three upcoming programs for our Bay Area
   Community. All three courses will take place at the Permaculture
   Institutes new home, the Commonweal Garden, a 17-acre farm on the
   ocean in Bolinas. Nestled into its own quiet valley, the site features
   a pond, grey water system, windmill, green house, seasonal stream,
   springs, ranch house and a heritage orchard and rose collection.
   But first
   SNEAK PREVIEW:
   Workshop with David Holmgren
   August 6-9, 2005 at the IONS campus.
   Stay tuned for updates!
   INTRODUCTION TO HOME SCALE BEEKEEPING
   April 9 & 10, 2005
   This two-day intensive workshop will introduce you to honey bees and
   basic beekeeping using the Kenyan Top Bar Hive (KTBH). The KTBH is a
   low input hive system originally developed by the Peace Corps for use
   in African cottage industries and is well suited for small scale
   beekeeping. A KTBH will be on-site for hands-on learning of hive
   maintenance. Each participant who wishes will have the opportunity to
   build a hive for themselves or can join in building boxes for the
   Permaculture Institute. If you plan to build a box to take home,
   include an extra $25 for supplies.
   TOPICS covered in the workshop will include:
   ~ European honey bee life cycles, social structure, anatomy and
   biology
   ~ Beekeeping equipment list and equipment construction
   ~ KTBH vs Langstroth (traditional) System, Pros & Cons
   ~ Overview of hive management strategies using the top bar hive
   ~ Honey extraction using top bar system
   ~ Resources (getting equipment, information, help)
   Time allowing we will also learn a bit about native or solitary bees,
   pollination ecology and how to create bee habitat in your garden.
   REGISTRATION:
   Space is limited so please register early (deadline is March 31).
   [1]http://www.permacultureinstitute.com/courses.html#bee
   />
   About the Instructor:
   K.Ruby is a permaculture designer, beekeeper, teacher, gardener,
   activist and artist. She has been keeping bees in the urban Bay Area
   for about five years. [2]http://www.rogueruby.com
   SUMMER PERMACULTURE DESIGN COURSE
   May 28- June 11, 2005
   THE PROGRAM:
   During two-weeks of intensive course work, you will learn how to
   observe and use the same principles that make ecological systems
   self-sustaining and apply them to your designs for integrated homes
   and gardens, energy systems and water supplies, communities that
   function and thrive, meaningful and fulfilling work, economies and
   global political movements.
   The course will also weave together the principles and practices of
   permaculture with wilderness awareness - learning bird language,
   tracking and participate in activities that deepen your awareness and
   intimacy with the rest of the natural world. The program will be
   founded upon the reality that we are nature and have an amazing role
   in our watershed ecosystems.
   Camping accommodation and delicious gourmet food are part of the
   course and included in the course fees.
   INSTRUCTORS:
   Penny Livingston-Stark
   James Stark
   Brock Dolman
   Scott Brinton
   Dennis Martinez
   and others.
   COURSE FEES:
   $975 early bird paid by March 31st, 2005
   $1200 paid April 1st May 15th, 2005
   $100 non-refundable deposit due upon registration.
   REGISTRATION:
   Visit our web site for details and an application form:
   [3]http://www.permacultureinstitute.com/courses.html#summerperm
   FOUR SEASONS PERMACULTURE DESIGN COURSE
   2005 Summer Start:
   The program will begin with a two day weekend starting July 23 & 24,
   2005 and take place one Saturday each month until June 2006.
   During this year-long course, you will learn how to observe and use
   the same principles that make ecological systems self-sustaining, and
   apply them to your designs for integrated homes and gardens, energy
   systems and water supplies, healthy communities, meaningful and
   fulfilling work, ecological economies and global political movements
   for change.
   THE PROGRAM:
   The curriculum and the hands-on aspect of the course will be
   integrated into the seasons and provide participants the experiences
   of winter pruning, spring planting, summer and fall harvesting, food
   preservation and other activities that relate to the seasons.
   The course will also weave together the principles and practices of
   permaculture with wilderness awareness - learning bird language,
   tracking and participate in activities that deepen your awareness and
   intimacy with the rest of the natural world. The program will be
   founded upon the reality that we are nature and have an amazing role
   in our watershed ecosystems.
   INSTRUCTORS:
   Penny Livingston-Stark
   James Stark
   and many special guest instructors.
   DATES:
   Course meeting dates are as follows:
   July 23 & 24; Aug. 20; Sept. 17; Oct. 16; Nov. 19; Dec. 17 2006 dates
   tba
   If you have to miss a month and you would like to make that session
   up, you may take that particular class the following year.
   COURSE FEES:
   $975 early bird paid by May 31st, 2005
   $1200 paid June 1st July 15th
   $100 non-refundable deposit due upon registration.
   REGISTRATION:
   Visit our web site for details and an application form:
   [4]http://www.permacultureinstitute.com/courses.html#sum4seasons
   />
   Feel free to contact us with any questions you might have about the
   courses. We look forward to hearing from you and seeing you in one of
   our programs.
   Blessings,
   Penny Livingston-Stark & James Stark
   Regenerative Design Institute
   Permaculture Institute of Northern California
   PO Box 341
   Point Reyes Station, CA 94956
   (415) 663-9090
   info at permacultureinstitute.com