[Ccpg] September Newsletter - News from THE FELLOWSHIP for INTENTIONAL COMMUNITY

Wesley Roe and Marjorie Lakin Erickson lakinroe at silcom.com
Sun Sep 25 23:30:58 PDT 2005

News from THE FELLOWSHIP for INTENTIONAL COMMUNITY
Promoting Community Living & Cooperative Lifestyles
Communities magazine, Directory, Video and more
http://www.ic.org http://store.ic.org http://directory.ic.org
                                           -27460-

A MONTHLY EMAIL PUBLICATION of the FIC since 1999, serving
over 4000 subscribers.

September 24, 2005

1 The New Print Directory Is Here!
2 Featured Bookshelf Title at Sale Price
3 New Features at www.ic.org
4 FIC Events
5 Communities Magazine Issues
6 Join The FIC & Bring More Connection To The World!

This personalized newsletter was sent to Wesley Roe.

Your Communities magazine subscription status (if any)
* Expires with #130 *

Your FIC membership status (if any)
* None *

At the end of this letter PLEASE CHECK your mailing address and
other contact info. Also see more details on the *status* of your
magazine subscription and membership, plus eNews subscribe,
unsubscribe, privacy & mailings info.

1 THE NEW PRINT DIRECTORY IS HERE!
   Fourth Print Edition (2005) selling briskly
   Online Directory - many updates
   by Tony Sirna

BRAND NEW PRINT EDITION AVAILABLE

    Fourth Edition Communities Directory
    2005; 312 pages; paperbound; 8-1/2x11 inches
    published by the Fellowship for Intentional Community

http://store.ic.org/products/communities-directory-2005.html

We are happy to announce that the new print edition of the
Communities Directory is back from the printer and hundreds of
copies have already been shipped! This is the first edition of
the book produced based on our Online Communities Directory
http://directory.ic.org and we are very happy with the results.

This all-new Directory edition lists over 600 intenional
communities in North Ammerica, including ecovillages, co-ops,
communes and cohousing projects, and 130 communities from around
the world. Also included are detailed cross-reference charts, an
index, and maps.

You can order your copy now for $24 (plus shipping.) This is a
20% discount for those ordering direct from the FIC so don't wait
until you see it in stores. Please email order at ic.org for
discounts on 5 or more copies.

Help us promote the new book by telling your friends or better
yet, order them a copy!

The price direct from FIC is $24 plus S/H.
http://store.ic.org/products/communities-directory-2005.html

     Shipping/handling on this item is as follows
     3.00 S/H for first item
     1.00 S/H for each additional item

S/H prices are for Standard Mail postal delivery within US.

     Order by phone fax or mail
     FIC :: 138 Twin Oaks Rd :: Louisa VA 23093
     800-462-8240
     540-894-4112 fax

------------

ONLINE DIRECTORY - LOTS OF NEW UPDATES

The FIC's free online Directory is getting a lot of updated info
from communities these days. With the publication of the print
Directory we have encouraged folks to update their listings and
they are doing so.

Our goal is to keep the data on our website current and accurate
so we will be sending frequent reminders to communities to check
their listing to make sure it's up to date.

Our Online Directory home page lists a random sampling (updated
daily) of communities that have updated their listings in the
last 30 days so check back to see what's fresh.

To browse or search our database of communities go to
http://directory.ic.org

For instructions on adding or updating a listing go to
http://directory.ic.org/neweditors.php

To find out more about the directory email directory at ic.org

2 FEATURED BOOKSHELF TITLE at SALE PRICE
   Review by Catherine Nicosia, Community Bookshelf staff

ECOVILLAGES: A Practical Guide to Sustainable Communities
   by Jan Martin Bang
   2005 * 288 pages * paperback * 7.5 " by 9"

Ecovillages have arisen around the world in response to concerns
about the social fragmentation of modern life and the impact on
the environment caused by alienation from nature. While interest
in ecovillages is growing rapidly, there is relatively little
literature about them and the publication of this new book fills
a real need. It explores the history and growth of these
communities with a particular emphasis on the principles and
ideas of permaculture as a lens through which they are are
viewed. Featured throughout the book are full color case studies
of successful ecovillages around the world. They include
information about each community and photographs that bring to
life the special characteristics of each group.

The author also uses the permaculture model as a basis for a
comprehensive manual for planning, establishing and maintaining a
sustainable community. He discusses in depth a number of aspects
of ecovillage living including alternative economics, housing and
building design, food production, energy systems, group process
and leadership and tools for social design. Packed with useful
information and advice, Ecovillages will appeal to everyone
interested in living in community or actively planning to do so.

   Regular price $25.00    Sale price $20.00

   http://store.ic.org/e/0905A

   Shipping/handling on this item is as follows
   3.00 S/H for first item
   1.00 S/H for each additional item

S/H prices are for Standard Mail postal delivery within US.
This eNews special offer is valid through October 31, 2005.

   Information, catalog, ordering
   http://store.ic.org/community-bookshelf.html

   Community Bookshelf RR 1 Box 156
   Rutledge MO 63563  800-995-8342
   bookshelf at ic.org

3 NEW FEATURES at WWW.IC.ORG
   by Tony Sirna

As of September 1st, 2005 the http://www.ic.org site is on a new
server and has a new backend system. We've integrated the various
parts of our website developed on different systems over the
years into a more unified platform. Now it will be easier for us
to make design changes and add new features.

New features include:

     * An automated http://events.ic.org Events Calendar system
     that allows users to post their own community related events.

     http://events.ic.org

     * An automated http://classifieds.ic.org Community Classified
     system allowing users to post items for sale, etc.

     http://classifieds.ic.org

     * A new http://reach.ic.org REACHbook system, with the same
     features as the old system plus better searching and an
     integrated log in system.

     http://reach.ic.org

     * One log in system for all areas of the Intentional
     Communities website including the Online Directory,
     REACHbook, Events Calendar, and Community Classified.

     * The new site is built on completely open-source software
     including php, mySQL, Apache, and Linux. We hope you enjoy
     the new site. Let us know if you have any problems or find
     any bugs in the new system. And if there are features you'd
     like to see on ic.org let us know and we will see what we can
     do.

4 FIC EVENTS
   Twin Oaks Communities Conference - report from the organizers
   Fall FIC Organizational Meeting in November

REPORT on the COMMUNITIES CONFERENCE at TWIN OAKS
  An FIC Co-Sponsored Event August 19 - 21 weekend
  by Valerie Renwick-Porter

NEXT YEAR IN UTOPIA!

Since Labor Day weekend can be a blur of commitments and
activities, this year we successfully experimented with changing
the date of the conference to mid-August. Our resident
astrologist did a reading of several weekends and based on that
and other factors we shifted the timing. Apparently people liked
it as we had a good-sized crowd of participants!

Our dynamic group of workshop presenters provided a cornucopia of
information on subjects including Resource-Sharing, Working with
Conflict, Touring Communities, Membership, Decision-Making,
Communication and Interpersonal Harmony through Song.

We appreciated our guests from several Service-Oriented
communities, welcoming members from Jubilee Partners (refugee
work), Innisfree (developmentally disabled adults) and Little
Flower Catholic Worker (resisting oppression, poverty and
militarism). We enjoyed an international community presence
including a member of Kibbutz Tzora in Israel and a workshop on
CoHousing communities in 5 countries. All in all, we had
representatives from over 25 communities present to share their
experiences and connect with each other as well as many seekers
looking for a home in community.

Our evening activities included a benefit auction for the FIC
which raised about $1000 to be used towards spreading the gospel
of community--a big thanks to donors and buyers alike! A relaxed
Sunday evening program included a viewing of Geoph Kozeny's
Visions of Utopia video, a sauna, dinner over at Acorn Community,
and playing The Getting Real Game (a game of communication /
profound life questions.)

Overall we were thrilled with the weekend. We appreciate everyone
who participated and who supported the conference. See you next
year!

----------

FALL FIC ORGANIZATIONAL MEETING
  Los Angeles Eco-Village, Los Angeles, CA
  November 5-7, 2005

Join us for three days of organizational meetings. It's the first
time in our 18-year history that the Fellowship has met in
southern California, and it's a great opportunity to accomplish
two things at once:

1) find out all the exciting things FIC has been doing to make
community available, and

2) see the exciting things that our host, Los Angeles Eco-
Village, has done to create a model of urban sustainability.

In addition to crafting the 2006 budget, we'll be reviewing the
online Directory, the new edition book version of the Directory,
the impact of 4-color covers on Communities magazine sales, the
new streamlined version of Community Bookshelf, and progress on
fundraising for the Directory Endowment

On top of that, we'll be spending a chunk of time working with
Alan Seid of Bellingham, Washington, a nationally recognized
trainer in Non-Violent Communication--all of which you're welcome
to observe and participate in. We hope to see you there!

For more information contact jenny at ic.org

5 COMMUNITIES MAGAZINE ISSUES
   Current and coming issues
   Call for articles for winter issue

CURRENT AND UPCOMING ISSUES

The theme of the current summer issue of our quarterly
publication is The Face of Cohousing in 2005.

The theme of the next fall issue, which is now at the printer,
will be Resolving Conflict in Community. The Fall issue should be
going into the mail to subscribers in mid-October.

            Get a sample issue, renew or subscribe here
      http://store.ic.org/products/communities-magazine.html
   http://store.ic.org/products/communities-magazine-sampl.html

    Sample issues by surface mail $6 US - $7 Canada - $8 Other

                  Subscriptions one year 4 issues
                 $20 US :: $24 Canada :: $26 Other

                    Order by phone fax or mail
             FIC * 138 Twin Oaks Rd * Louisa VA 23093
                  800-462-8240   fax 540-894-4112

----------

CALL FOR ARTICLES

This is a call for articles for Urban Communities & Ecovillages -
- the theme of the Winter 2005 issue of Communities magazine. It
will be out in late December.

Topics:

   * Do we need sustainable intentional communities and
   ecovillages _more_ in cities and towns than in suburban or
   rural areas?

   * How can we create more community connection and community
   spirit in our town and city neighborhoods?

   * What unique gifts do city & town communities offer?
   Cultural/intellectual stimulation, access to jobs, lower cost
   of living from shared resources, opportunity for bicycling,
   opportunity to use public transportation instead of cars, other
   ...?

   * What are some challenges of city & town communities? Privacy
   issues, safety issues, noise, traffic, other?

   * Is your town or city community preparing for peak oil? If so,
   how?

We're especially seeking questions and articles from cohousers.

----------

ASK THE EXPERTS

Our Ask The Experts article worked so well in the Fall issue that
we're doing it again for the Winter issue. What burning questions
would you ask our experienced process and communications
consultants and consensus facilitation trainers--Laird Schaub,
Tree Bressen, Caroline Estes, and Bea Briggs?

Examples of possible burning questions

   * Some of our members often have "blocking energy." Others here
   say there's no such thing! What do you think?

   * We have a guy here who won't fulfill his work requirements.
   What should we do?

   * Some quieter people have good ideas outside of meetings, but
   clam up and won't say anything in meetings. We're missing their
   good input! How can we get them to open up publicly and
   contribute more?

These are just samples. What burning questions do _ you _ have?
What issues are up in your community right now?

If you're interested in submitting an article or have burning
questions for our panel of experts, please contact the editor by
by September 27, 2005.

Diana Christian
communities at ic.org
828-669-9702

6 JOIN THE FIC & BRING MORE CONNECTION TO THE WORLD!

If you enjoy the information that reaches you via this
newsletter, you're probably the kind of person who likes to bring
people together, who appreciates cooperation and community. Those
things are important to us, too--so important that we've centered
our organization around them. And we'd love to have you with us.

This e-newsletter, the Communities Directory, our Bookshelf and
online store, Communities magazine, our regular member
newsletter, the phone calls and emails we answer every day, the
events we sponsor, the workshops we give...these are all part of
meeting people's need for greater connection, around the world.

Your $30 membership contribution or $100 donation today will help
us do an even better job. Please consider joining the FIC now.

For more info on membership benefits and to join online using our
secure server go to

	http://store.ic.org/products/fic-membership.html

To request a membership form by mail, or to email, or to talk
with a human, contact us at

                           RR 1 Box 156
                         Rutledge MO 63563
                           800-995-8342
                            fic at ic.org

To learn more about the mission of the organization visit

                   http://fic.ic.org/index.html

Thank you for your interest, and thanks for everything you do to
promote and sustain community.