[Ccpg] Indonesia's Permaculture Foundation Responds to Earthquake in Java NEEDS HELP

Wesley Roe and Marjorie Lakin Erickson lakinroe at silcom.com
Wed May 31 07:57:11 PDT 2006

IDEP's Responds to Earthquake in Java
To make a donation www.idepfoundation.org/java_quake.html

IDEP is responding to a call for help for the May 27th Earthquake in
Central Java.

On Saturday the 27th of May at 5:55 am an Earthquake measuring 6.3 on the
Richter scale hit Central Java with the epicenter in the sea south of the
city of Jogyakarta. The earthquake lasted for over 57 seconds with a second
smaller earthquake occurring at 10.15 am. It appears that Bantul area south
of Jogyakarta bore the brunt of the damage with almost all buildings being
flattened and deaths numbering in the hundreds also Klaten has been badly
affected. In Jogyakarta the quake caused serious structural damage to many
of the cities buildings.

As with our work during the Tsunami IDEP are once again becoming a conduit
for aid to victims of the quake.

IDEP foundation maintains emergency funds of Rp 100,000,000 (approx US$
11,000) which we have already dispatched as of may 29th.

These funds were deployed to the following places:

1) Rp 30,000,000 was transferred to Eko Teguh a member of MPBI the
(Indonesian Society for Disaster Management).

Kang Eko Teguh and a team of volunteers from KPB (Kelompok Peduli Bencana),
KAPPALA and DREAM have been are working on the outskirts of Yogyakarta
since the earthquake occurred. These teams were already working in the area
preparing for the Mt Merapi Volcanic eruption and have exhausted their
stock piles of emergency supplies that were in place for the pending Merapi
eruption. This is a major problem as if and when Merapi does erupt this
will leave people in the area even more vulnerable.

Kang Eko Teguh is a Vulcanologist at UPN-Veteran University in Yogyakarta
and one of the most experienced people in Indonesia for Disaster Response
he is the head of several volunteer organizations like KPB, KAPPALA and
DREAM and is one of the cofounders of WALHI (Friends of the Earth Indonesia).

2) Rp 30,000,000 was transferred to YAYASAN IBU / RAKATA under the
coordination of Lee Downey and Sam Shultz.

The RAKATA team worked with Sam in Calang to successfully implement the AID
bucket program that was pioneered during our relief work in Aceh. Through
this initiative, emergency living supplies for one family are packed into a
single sealed bucket that can be easily transported and distributed piece
by piece to families in remote locations as required.

This highly effective method of aid delivery bypasses the need for
unpacking and redistributing supplies in the field where time is of the
essence. It also offers an effective system for the transparent and
equitable distribution of emergency aid to avoid bad feelings and even
social conflicts due to inequity.

With this first disbursement the RAKATA team are already purchasing
supplies and preparing AID Buckets for distribution in the affected areas.
The AID buckets also include IDEP fact sheets of basic information on water
and sanitation needs, emergency disaster information and nutrition in
emergency zones and information for breastfeeding mothers to drink baby
formula themselves and then breast feed instead of making up formula with
potentially unsafe water which may be harmful to their infants.

3) Remaining funds have been dispersed from IDEP have been used to equip
and send off a group of 6 IDEP volunteers.

The team traveled in a convoy with a car, which will be use for local
logistics, and a truck of emergency supplies including urgently needed
medicines that we were able to source here on Bali thanks to support from
Dr Tjakra Wibawa.

The IDEP volunteer team is led by, Ade one of our most experience Emergency
Relief Workers. Ade was instrumental in our Tsunami Relief work and was a
key volunteer during both Bali Bombs where he helped coordinate the morgue
at Sanglah Hospital. The team will deliver the emergency supplies to our
partners in the field, assist the teams already on the ground and conduct a
rapid assessment of most critical needs and the best way that we can help
so we can plan our next move.

As more support is received, IDEP will continue disperse help directly to
the people in need through our network of volunteers and organisations on
the ground in Yogya. Your continued support and contributions are vital to
our efforts and IDEP would like to thank all that are contributing for your
most generous donations