[Ccpg] Herbal Workshop July 14 2007 with Julie Cordero-Lamb Santa Barbara

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network sbpcnet at silcom.com
Wed Jun 27 14:39:44 PDT 2007

Julie Cordero-Lamb will be doing a workshop at our house Saturday
July 14 from 10:00 AM to 1:00 PM. It will be a hands on class on
harvesting and preparing local herbal medicine. In the fall we are
planning on having her back for a two day workshop. See Julie's bio
below.

Also remember our July 28th Garden tour. To register for both these
free events e-mail me at <mailto:lbsaltzman%40aol.com>lbsaltzman at aol.com.
Julie's class can only
accommodate about 10-15 peopl maximum so register early.

Larry Saltzman

Julie Cordero-Lamb was born and raised in Seattle, Washington, went
to the Evergreen State College in Olympia, Washington, and moved back
to her mother's hometown, Santa Barbara, California, in 1996. She
has been studying and using the plants - native, naturalized, and
invasive - for food, medicine, and textiles for 13 years. Julie has
been a practicing bioregional herbalist for 9 years, specializing in
sustainably gathering and using the locally abundant plants found in
Southern California fields, empty lots, driveways and backyards. She
is an enrolled member of the Coastal Band of the Chumash Nation;
however, her primary herb teachers have been herbalists from other
California tribes, non-Indian herb elders, and of course, the plants
themselves. She is currently taking a year off from her doctoral
work in Religious Studies at UCSB in order to be a mom for her infant
daughter, Lena.

COURSE DESCRIPTION

Zone One Medicine - also called "Slow Medicine" by its creators,
Sequoia Ladd and Julie Cordero-Lamb - is the art of safely and
effectively using the plant medicines that are already in your home,
yard, and immediate neighborhood in order to fill some of the gaping
holes left by our current health care system. Unlike many systems of
herbal healing, Zone One is low- to no-cost, and demonstrates that
locally abundant plants are fresher (and therefore more potent) and
just as effective as commercially available herbs that are "far
sought and dearly bought." Our system uses the 12 principles of
Permaculture as developed by David Holmgren, adds a 13th principle,
and applies those same principles for cultivating a healthy body that
is embedded in knowledgeble, physical intimacy with the land where we
live, whether that's a cramped apartment, a homeless shelter, or a
house with a yard. This class does not teach advanced internal
botanical medicine. Instead, people are given a hands-on opportunity
to reclaim the folk heritage lived by moms and dads, aunts, uncles,
grandmas and grandpas the world over as they care for their
families. This is the backyard medicine that everyone's grandma used
to know.

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network
(805) 962-2571
P.O. Box 92156, Santa Barbara, CA 93190
margie at sbpermaculture.com
www.sbpermaculture.org

"We are like trees, we must create new leaves, in new directions, in order to
grow." - Anonymous