[Ccpg] Quail Springs' Mid-Summer Newsletter

Quail Springs info at quailsprings.org
Wed Jul 18 18:32:35 PDT 2007

Quail Springs' Mid-Summer 2007 Newsletter

ANNOUNCEMENTS

We're continuing to welcome Summer and Fall Interns to join our team!

Work and live "on the farm" through volunteer internships beginning with up
to one month, with possibility of up to 6 months.   Assist with ongoing
permaculture development of the farm and share in community life.  Projects
this year include food systems, gardening, aquaculture, natural building,
watershed restoration, animal husbandry, capital campaign development, and
more.  Experience and training is not needed, although this is a great
opportunity to further experience and education in all aspects of farm and
permaculture site development.    Contact info at quailsprings.org for more
info.

Available for pre-purchase!  Quail Springs, An Experiment in Permaculture

Quail Springs, An Experiment in Permaculture, by Joss Jaffe, serves as an
important research and development tool supporting permaculture design and
the long term vision of Quail Springs.  If you are interested in
pre-purchasing the book, please let us know at info at quailsprings.org.  The
cost of this full color book is $30 including the CD, or $10 for the CD
only, plus $5 shipping.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Service Learning Weekend-  August 25th and 26th, Saturday and Sunday

Come out to learn, work and play on the farm!  Projects may include
permaculture gardening, watershed restoration, and more.  All ages are
welcome to volunteer and experience is not necessary.  Food is potluck and
camping is nearby.   Contact info at quailsprings.org or 805-886-7239 to RSVP
or for more info.

Permaculture Tea and Talk with Darren Doherty - October 13th in Ojai -
details TBA

Permaculture Design Course at Quail Springs with Darren Doherty

DATES:  October 15-27, 2007

COST:   EARLY REGISTRATION DISCOUNTS FOR PAYMENTS RECEIVED IN FULL -  $1200
by August 15th ;  $1350 by September 15th

$1450 for payment after September 15th with a $400 non-refundable deposit
and balance due by Oct 8th

Payment plans and Barter considered on case-by-case basis.  Work-trade in
kitchen during the course is available for those not seeking certification.

This 72-hour certificate program is a 12-day, residential design course
(camping and meals included) with 1-day break midway.

CONTACT:    Kolmi Majumdar info at quailsprings.org  OR 805-886-7239

Permaculture is a holistic approach to land use design, based on ecological
principles and patterns. It aims to create stable, productive systems that
provide for human needs, harmoniously integrating the land with people.
Permaculture principles can be applied to any environment, at any scale -
from dense urban settlements to individual homes, from farms to entire
regions.

This world-recognized, 72-hour course provides an introduction to
Permaculture as set forth by movement founders Bill Mollison and David
Holmgren. Students are invited to bring details of their own sites or
potential sites and explore site-specific Permaculture solutions. The course
covers sustainable living systems for a wide variety of landscapes and
climates.

Course Content

The course includes the application of Permaculture principles with specific
topics, including:

*                     Theory and principles of Permaculture

*                     Nature-friendly house placement and design

*                     Energy conservation techniques for cold and warm
climates

*                     Recycling and waste management

*                     Soil rehabilitation and erosion control

*                     Organic food production

*                     Water harvesting and management including earthworks

*                     Drought-proofing

*                     Animal husbandry and Aquaculture

*                     Catastrophe preparedness and prevention

*                     Windbreaks and fire control

*                     Aspects of Community Design

*                     Legal strategies supporting Permaculture solutions

The course will be taught by Australian Permaculture Teacher:

Darren Doherty

Darren has had extensive experience across the planet in Permaculture
project design, development & management, with a focus on retrofitting
broadacre agricultural systems, and has been identified by Permaculture
Co-Originators Bill Mollison & David Holmgren as a pioneer in this important
& often overlooked field. Darren has taught on over 25 Permaculture Design
Certificate Courses (PDC's) including co- teaching PDC's with both Bill
Mollison & David Holmgren & a range of other quality Permaculture educators.
He is a registered teacher with Bill Mollison's The Permaculture Institute
(Registration No. 25), a qualified hole Farm Planner (University of
Melbourne), Approved Keyline Design Consultant, & Accredited Permaculture
Training (APT) Trainer. More about Darren: www.permaculture.biz
<http://www.permaculture.biz/>

Quail Springs, the focus site of the course, is a 450-acre arid-land farm at
3600 feet elevation whose caretakers are shaping the land and our lives
towards a demonstration of sustainability. This farm is in its fourth year
of development of community-built structures, a spring-fed gravity flow
water system, gabions, swales, pond, tree plantings, food forest, animal
systems and a great community spirit.

Darren Doherty will be teaching other Permaculture &  Keyline Design course
in the U.S.A. in 2007, see www.permaculture.biz
<http://www.permaculture.biz/>  for details..

EcoNest workshops

The beginning stages of the EcoNest will involve workshops in which
builders, home owners, or other interested folks will work with the EcoNest
team in a series of two workshops that give the participant a solid
foundation in understanding this unique system of sustainable building.  The
Timberframe Workshop is scheduled for November 5-11.  The Clay/Straw
Building Training is November 12-17.  Cost is TBA.   If you would like to be
on an initial interest contact list, please email info at quailsprings.org.

Events hosted by friends of Quail Springs

"Ojai Growing Green Party" on July 28th.come join us for a great event put
on by Earth Play and Nutiva!

When  Saturday July 28th from 8 p.m.-11 p.m.  Where  Earth Play Eco Store
501 East Ojai Ave at Fox Street next door to Sea Fresh

 What Live Music, DJ's, and Dancers-HempShakeT Smoothies and Organic Models
Music Come enjoy Brad Buley & friends, Surprise Guests and more. Dance
Amazing Dancer JoAnne Terry.and great Music!  Bring  An open heart and mind.

Sponsored By  EARTH PLAY ECOSTORE and NUTIVA

Permaculture Potluck in Los Olivos - Saturday, August 4th , 9:30 am

Hosted by Trish  (to RSVP  call 805-688-6707 or email
<mailto:crazymiles at earthlink.net> crazymiles at earthlink.net)

Out of the recent permaculture course with Geoff Lawton and Darren Doherty
at Quail Springs, Trish, one of the graduates, got inspired to revive some
down-to-earth gatherings for local and regional permaculture enthusiasts.

After completing the PDC course at Quail Springs, we feel it is never a
better time to initiate an ongoing permaculture collaboration. This will
begin as a potluck gathering next month on the land we rent in the village
of Los Olivos.

The property is not exactly urban but is located in the heart of the
village, surrounded by wineries, organic farms and agriculture.   We moved
the garden from Zone 4 to Zone 1, and are now experiencing a wave of
curiosity from locals. The response comes with a feeling of excitement about
a possible community permaculture garden.  On one side of us we have the
elementary school and just down the hill we have wine tasting rooms and the
local coffee shop where we get  our coffee grinds for compost. We are
recycling wine bottles as edges around the garden and have just completed a
chicken/duck coop made from recycled materials. The timing for sustainable
design (education) in this area is perfect as is this location.

The meetings could begin with a dialogue of ideas about the land that we
rent with the idea of participating on any projects that come to mind, book
sharing, videos, courses, and any vital information related to permaculture.
The fact that some people represent more years of experience is perfect for
those of us who are beginners. The purpose is to explore, experiment, and
contribute to sustainable sites as well as strengthen the thread of
permaculture community.  Perhaps participants would be open to traveling
site to site. For example, if someone in Santa Barbara would like to open up
their home for a meeting, then maybe someone from San Luis Obispo.we could
meet on a monthly or bi-monthly schedule depending on schedules and the
wants/needs of participants.

At this stage the days and times are flexible. However, due to summer
temperatures in the Santa Ynez Valley, our first meeting will take place on
Saturday August 4th at 9:30 a.m. Since this is an exploration please come
with anything you might feel be related to our first discussion. This is
truly an exploration of ideas and energy!

To RSVP you can call Trish at 688-6707 or email  crazymiles at earthlink.net

Quail Springs is a project of the True Nature Society, a community supported
non-profit organization.

Please consider giving a financial or in-kind donation to help us continue
offering important services to the community.

TO MAKE A FINANCIAL DONATION TO QUAIL SPRINGS ONLINE, GO TO
http://www.quailsprings.org/support.htm
<http://ent.groundspring.org/EmailNow/pub.php?module=URLTracker&cmd=track&j=
112392053&u=1076136>

Or send in your contribution to PO Box 417, New Cuyama, CA 93254.   Thank
you!

In-kind donation needs list

*	Chain link fencing for watershed restoration project
*	Used mixed size lumber for small building project
*	SunShade Sails (www.shadesails.com
<http://ent.groundspring.org/EmailNow/pub.php?module=URLTracker&cmd=track&j=
147704885&u=1418898> ) or other shading materials
*	Self-powered arc welder/generator
*	Bicycles w/baskets or trailers for sustainable transportation on
farm
*	Bike repair tools and spare parts
*	Flail mower
*	3-point hitch grater for our tractor

On-going Needs

*	MULCH, GRAVEL, ROCK, Farm equipment, Trees and garden plants

Service Needs

*	Marketing consultation, Event planning services, Catering services
for special events

Caretaker

Quail Springs

Learning Oasis and Permaculture Farm