[Ccpg] A Guide for Desert and Dryland Restoration David A. Bainbridge NEW BOOK

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Sun Jul 22 07:01:16 PDT 2007

A Guide for Desert and Dryland Restoration   David A. Bainbridge NEW BOOK

http://www.islandpress.org/books/results.html

Dryland degradation and desertification now affect almost a billion
people around the world. Tragically, the biological resources and
productivity of millions of acres of land are lost to desertification
each year because people remain unaware of strategies and techniques
that could improve yields, reduce risk, and begin healing the world's
deserts. A Guide for Desert and Dryland Restoration is the first book
to offer practical, field-tested solutions to this critical problem.

The book discusses the ecology of desert plants, explores the causes
of desertification and land abuse, and outlines the processes and
procedures needed to evaluate, plan, implement, and monitor desert
restoration projects. Each chapter represents a guide to a critical
topic for environmental restoration; extensive photographs, diagrams,
and drawings give detailed information for immediate application, and
additional resources are included in appendixes.

A Guide for Desert and Dryland Restoration is the first comprehensive
book focused on restoring arid regions, and clearly demonstrates that
arid lands can be successfully rehabilitated. In addition to
restorationists, the book will be an invaluable resource for anyone
working in arid lands, including farmers, ranchers, gardeners,
landscapers, outdoor recreation professionals, and activists.

This book is intended for: restoration practitioners, land managers,
ranchers, farmers, educators  (web resources will be available for
teaching this as a semester course), landscapers, gardeners and
homeowners, and foresters.

"I have tried to include the information I would have liked to have
when I began work in 1983. Although my work has primarily been in the
deserts of California the problems and solutions are similar in
deserts and drylands around the world.".
                                                                            David
A. Bainbridge, The Author

THE AUTHOR

David A. Bainbridge was educated at the University of California in
San Diego, Earth Sciences, and U.C. Davis in Ecology. He has
published 11 books, contributed or written 12 book chapters on
restoration, resource management, and sustainable building, and more
than 300 articles and reports.