[Ccpg] Natural Building at Emerald Earth September 1-7, 2007 Northern CA

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Thu Jul 26 20:47:35 PDT 2007

Hi, Everyone-

We still have openings in our week-long Natural Building Intensive at
Emerald Earth. The dates are September 1-7, and this our sixth year
teaching this workshop. Feedback from previous years has been
excellent, and we'd like to make the workshop available to as many
people as possible. Do you know anyone who might benefit from this experience?

It's a hands-on introduction to many different techniques for
building with earth and straw, including cob, straw bale, light
straw-clay, clay wattle, earthen floors, natural plasters and paints,
and much more. Our site has 7 finished natural buildings and 4 more
under construction, as well as gardens, greywater systems, composting
toilets, an off-grid electrical system, so there's a lot to see.
We'll discuss the basics of clay and soil testing, passive solar
design, alternative roofs and foundation systems, hybrid natural
buildings, and more, and show slides and videos of other sites and
techniques. But most of every day is spent actually building with
experienced instructors who will train you in at least 8 different
techniques that you can apply to your own new construction or remodel project.

The workshop costs $500 for the full week, including camping and
delicious organic meals. We give a $50 discount for full payment by
the first week in August (coming up soon!), so please help us spread
the work quickly. You can find more details on our web site
(www.emeraldearth.org) or send an email to
workshops at emeraldearth.org, or call 707-972-3096.

Thanks for your help!
Michael G. Smith

P.S. I'll also be leading a 1-day earth oven workshop in Potter
Valley (near Ukiah) on Saturday, August 25. This class will teach you
how to construct a simple wood-fired baking oven for less than $100,
perfect for baking pizzas, artisan breads, and almost anything else.
The cost of the class is $50 to $100, sliding scale. If you have
questions, email me at michael at emeraldearth.org. Please let your
friends know about this one, too.