[Ccpg] January 2008 Newsletter

Quail Springs info at quailsprings.org
Wed Jan 23 12:57:07 PST 2008

Quail Springs' January 2008 Newsletter

EVENTS and COURSES

"Hands and Hearts" Skill Builder Series

This series of workshops focus on various hands-on skills, taught by the
Quail Springs teaching team and special guest teachers, all with the
intention of using our hands and hearts to regenerate healthy community
life, meet our human needs, and honor the natural world.

Spinning and Felting

with Andrea Bratt Frick, professional fiber artist

March 6 - 7, Thursday and Friday

Building a Cob Oven and Baking Bread

with Quail Springs' teaching team

May 24-25, Saturday and Sunday

Moccasins and Leather Work

with Warren Brush, co-founder of Quail Springs

October 4-5, Saturday and Sunday

$100 for each 2 day Skill Builder workshop, includes camping.

Register for the entire "Hands and Hearts" series for 2008 for $275 !

Optional materials fee may apply for each workshop. Meals will be organized
potluck.

Contact info at quailsprings.org for more information or to register.

Spring Gardening Service Learning Weekend

April 26-27, Saturday and Sunday - FREE

Join Quail Springs as we plant and prepare our gardens this spring! This is
also a time for interested people to receive a tour of the site and learn
about site design, and enjoy the company of community. This event is free of
cost, with community potluck meals and camping nearby. All ages are welcome
and no experience is needed. RSVP to info at quailsprings.org to receive
current gate combos, potluck ideas, and tools/materials to bring.

Permaculture Design Certification course with Geoff Lawton

August 16-27, 2008

We're happy to host our third Permaculture Design Certification course at
Quail Springs, and welcome back one of the world's top permaculture
teachers, Geoff Lawton. For more about Geoff Lawton, visit
www.permaculture.org.au
<http://ent.groundspring.org/EmailNow/pub.php?module=URLTracker&cmd=track&j=
186415876&u=1874280>  .

Tuition with early registration discounts for deposits sent by respective
dates: $1,200 (May 16). $1350 (July 1). $1450 (after July 1). Deposit is
$400. Limited case-by-case work trade and payment plans, please inquire
early.

Complete registration information for the course will be available in
February.

Contact info at quailsprings.org now to join the interest list.

Permaculture is a holistic approach to land use design, based on ecological
principles and patterns. It aims to create stable, productive systems that
provide for human needs, harmoniously integrating the land with people. This
world-recognized, 72-hour course provides an introduction to Permaculture as
set forth by movement founders Bill Mollison and David Holmgren. This course
covers sustainable living systems - with everything from food systems, water
harvesting, waste cycling, home design, to climate care, and much more - for
a wide variety of landscapes and climates. Graduates of this 72 hour
Permaculture Design Certification course (PDC) will receive a Certificate in
Permaculture Design. See www.tagari.com
<http://ent.groundspring.org/EmailNow/pub.php?module=URLTracker&cmd=track&j=
186415876&u=1874281>  to learn more about the Certification, and options for
continuing study to earn the Diploma.

Southwest Drylands & Southern California Permaculture Convergence - with
Keynote Speaker, Geoff Lawton

August 29 - September 1, 2008

Co-sponsored by Santa Barbara Permaculture Network, Quail Springs, and
others. More info coming soon! Contact info at quailsprings.org to join the
interest list.

Advanced Permaculture Workshop - with Geoff Lawton and Brad Lancaster

September 2-3, 2008

This 2 day advanced workshop will offer on the ground opportunity to learn
and work with Geoff and Brad. For more about Geoff Lawton, visit
www.permaculture.org.au
<http://ent.groundspring.org/EmailNow/pub.php?module=URLTracker&cmd=track&j=
186415876&u=1874282> . For more about Brad Lancaster, visit
www.harvestingrainwater.com
<http://ent.groundspring.org/EmailNow/pub.php?module=URLTracker&cmd=track&j=
186415876&u=1874283> . More info coming soon!

Contact  <mailto:info at quailsprings.org> info at quailsprings.org to join the
interest list.

EcoNest workshops 2008

The beginning stages of the EcoNest will involve workshops in which
builders, home owners, or other interested folks will work with the EcoNest
team in a series of two workshops that give the participant a solid
foundation in understanding this unique system of sustainable building.
Dates and cost are TBA. If you would like to be on an initial interest
contact list, please email info at quailsprings.org.

INTERNSHIPS

Winter Natural Building Intern Position has been filled! See below if you're
interested in an internship later in the year.

Interested Interns please inquire for 2008...

We're developing a dynamic intern program that will include focused skill
building along with service learning for the coming year. More information
and applications will be available in February 2008 for internships running
from March/April through October/November. Contact Kolmi at
info at quailsprings.org if you're interested.

Skill building opportunities will include natural building, permaculture
design, food systems, gardening, aquaculture, watershed restoration, animal
husbandry, fund development, and more. Experience and training is not
needed, although this is a great opportunity to further experience and
education in all aspects of farm and permaculture site development.

Available for purchase. Quail Springs, An Experiment in Permaculture

Quail Springs, An Experiment in Permaculture, by Joss Jaffe, serves as an
important research and development tool supporting permaculture design and
the long term vision of Quail Springs.  If you are interested in purchasing
the book, please let us know at info at quailsprings.org. The cost of this full
color book with CD is $30, or $10 for the CD only, plus $5 shipping.

Reminder to Quail Springs' friends, family, interns and other guests...

As of January 1, 2008, the gate codes with be changing regularly. Therefore,
you will need to contact us for the current code even if you have been here
many times before. We are doing this to help maintain good relationship with
the private landowner who we share the road with and It is critical that
each and every vehicle coming to Quail Springs strictly observes the 10 MPH
speed limit on the private road, as well as all traffic laws and normal
driving rules. Thank you for understanding and helping!

Quail Springs is a project of the True Nature Society, a community supported
non-profit organization.

Please consider giving a financial or in-kind donation to help us continue
offering important services to the community.

To make a donation online, visit
<http://ent.groundspring.org/EmailNow/pub.php?module=URLTracker&cmd=track&j=
186415876&u=1874284> www.quailsprings.org/donate

Or send in your contribution to PO Box 417, New Cuyama, CA 93254.   Thank
you!

In-kind donation needs list

*       Natural insulation materials

*       Fencing materials