[Ccpg] ECO-Film Night/ Eco-Cities: Ecological & Sustainable City Design Thursday, Feb 21, 7 pm,

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network sbpcnet at silcom.com
Wed Feb 13 09:43:57 PST 2008

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network
ECO-Film Night
Eco-Cities: Ecological & Sustainable City Design

Thursday, Feb 21, 7 pm, 2008, Donation, $5
Santa Barbara Public Library, Faulkner Gallery

         Most of the world's population now live in cities. Will
these rapidly growing centers of human life be sustainably designed
cities, or out of control slums?

         Join Santa Barbara Permaculture Network as we explore the
future of cities, with three films that suggest the possibility of
cities that are not only sustainable, but a joy and inspiration to live in.

         "As we build so shall we live" states Richard Register,
author of Ecocities; Rebuilding Cities in Balance with Nature, and
key organizer for the upcoming 7th International Ecocity Conference,
to be held in San Francisco April 2008. The SB Permaculture ECO-Film
night will begin with a short film promoting the upcoming EcoCity
World Summit (www.ecocitysummit.org), highlighting past and future
keynote speakers and their visions on how to build and rebuild cities
and towns based on ecological design.

         Modern cities have been designed for cars, and have the
potential of grinding to a halt without oil as a cheap resource. Life
threatening global environmental problems mandate rethinking now the
way we design our cities in balance with living systems.

Films to be shown:
ECOCITY World Summit, 7th International Ecocity Conference Preview:
Short film promoting upcoming Ecocity Conference in San Francisco,
CA, with speakers from past and future conferences, including 2008
keynote speaker, Jaime Lerner, former mayor of Curitiba, Brazil.

A Convenient Truth, Urban Solutions from Curitiba Brazil: A
documentary sharing ideas to provoke environmental-friendly and
cost-effective changes in cities worldwide, focusing on
transportation, recycling, water harvesting, ecological urban parks,
and social strategies for affordable housing, that transformed
Curitiba into one of the most livable cities in the world. Learn the
story of Mayor Jaime Lerner as he instigated a city and its planners
to move forward to innovative sustainable city design more than 30 years ago.

City Repair: Visionary architect Mark Lakeman discusses the movement
that inspired and guides the grid structure of a typical American
city into a vital social commons with Portland's City Repair Project
(<http://www.cityrepair.org/>www.cityrepair.org).
The event takes place at the downtown Santa Barbara Public Library,
40 E. Anapamu St, Santa Barbara, CA, on Thursday, February, 21 at 7pm
for a donation of $5. No reservations required, contact 805-962-2571,
or www.sbpermaculture.org,
<mailto:margie at sbpermaculture.org>margie at sbpermaculture.org.

-end-

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network
(805) 962-2571
P.O. Box 92156, Santa Barbara, CA 93190
margie at sbpermaculture.org
www.sbpermaculture.org

"We are like trees, we must create new leaves, in new directions, in
order to grow." - Anonymous