[Ccpg] newsletter Friends of the Trees February Newsletter

Friends of the Trees michael at friendsofthetrees.net
Wed Feb 13 10:16:48 PST 2008

News from Michael "Skeeter" Pilarski

2-day Workshop

FAMILY FOOD SECURITY!
LOCAL FOOD SECURITY!

We have canceled the Sahale permaculture design course scheduled for
February 16 - March 2. But we have come up with a special workshop on
the last two days of the course so that those who were enrolled can
get a concentrated dose of useful information. We would like to see
many other people there. If things get as bad economically as I think
they are going to, then a lot of people will be wanting information on
how to grow food.

click here for workshop details
http://www.friendsofthetrees.net/images/sahale%20_paradise_brochure.pdf

Early registration price for the Fairy Congress

Sign up by March 1 for the incredibly low price of just $195 for three
days of fun, food, camping, workshops and magic. We have 16 wonderful
presenters lined up for this year, as well as great music and
performances.

Share the magic - tell your friends about the Congress!  We have
beautiful full-color posters and brochures this year.  Let us know if
you can help distribute them. You can send an email to
register at fairycongress.com to request copies of the poster and/or
brochure to be mailed to you.

Sign up for the Congress!
http://www.fairycongress.com/fc2008/2008_register.htm

Primitive Skills Gathering ... and more at Skalitude Retreat

Skalitude is excited to be hosting a Primitive Skills Gathering July
3-6, a week after the Fairy Congress. Learn how to live in harmony
with nature using primitive technology.

Events at Skalitude Retreat Center
http://www.skalitude.com/events.html

Evergreen State Permaculture Convergence

Bringing permaculture people together
from around Washington State & beyond.

Planning for the future!
Sharing solutions, inspirations and insights!

Tentative dates: September 11-14, 2008.

Convergence Goals: To discuss how to strengthen information flow and
cooperation between permaculturists in the state of Washington (and
beyond). To work on a vision of how permaculture can better serve the
people and land of Washington state. How can permaculture reach more
people? How can more permaculturists make their living doing
consulting, installation, teaching, etc?  I personally lean towards
this convergence being an organizational meeting by people seriously
into permaculture and not an educational event for the general public
on gardening, water catchments, forest gardens, etc. But what actually
is attempted depends on the wishes of those who get involved.

We are still taking nominations for venues in western Washington and
can consider a change of dates. Venues need a combination of private
rooms, group rooms, camping space, large kitchen, and meeting
facilities to accomodate 150 people. Ideally the venue has a
permaculture, sustainable or green theme.

This permaculture convergence was first proposed by Michael Pilarski
on January 11, 2007. Thirty people have indicated interest so far and
a steering committee has been formed. This is the first public
announcement outside of the permaculture community.

If you are interested please contact me
mailto:friendsofthetrees at yahoo.com

Okanogan Biodiversity Farming Cooperative & Internships

About a dozen people have contacted me so far about being part of our
farming cooperative or interning this year. There are only two of us
committed so far, so I a still looking for partners or interns.
Interning with me involves wildcrafting and farming in the Okanogan.
In addition, interns are needed at the Hood River herb farm, at Cloud
View Ecofarm near Vantage in the Columbia Basin, and at Riversong Farm
in Hood River. Lots of details on my website.

Call or email if interested  mailto:friendsofthetrees at yahoo.com

2nd Annual Singing Alive - Sept 5-7

Lillebakke, Cosmopolis, WA
A Celebration of Ceremonial Song & Dance in Circular Devotion to the
Regeneration of Humanity & the Earth.

Hold the date! Stay tuned for more information!

Website - Savvy ? Internet - Savvy?

Website- and internet-savvy tree friends needed to help get Friends of
the Trees message out. Here is a mission for a few volunteers who
aren't fully engaged in "The Machine". Someone that can navigate the
waters of widgets, websites, blogs, My-Spaces, email list-serves,
Youtubes, etc.

Contact Skeeter  mailto:friendsofthetrees at yahoo.com

Donations

Friends of the Trees Society has been doing good work for the world
since 1978. Donations will help us accomplish more. Major initiatives
at this time are: permaculture, gatherings, education, research and
writing on local food security, growing food plants and medicinal
plants, tree sales, Sustainable Wildcrafters Guild, internet outreach,
a book on weeds, and mending fences with the fairy realm. A donation
to Friends of the Trees Society is an investment in a better future.
Any size donations are appreciated.
Thank you,
Michael Pilarski

Make checks out to Friends of the Trees Society
Friends of the Trees
PO Box 253
Twisp, WA 98856

Please forward this email to friends, associates or list-serves who
you feel would be interested.

Thank you,
Michael "Skeeter" Pilarski

I did intensive research on the US economy for the two weeks following
the January 21-22 drop in the Asian and European stock markets. I
found a lot of interesting material. Major trouble is brewing. I have
written a lengthy article and reviewed the best website sources, blogs
and Youtube videos I found. The article can be found on my website.
The US economy affects pretty much everybody. People with their head
in the sand just might get a boot in the rear. If you are keeping your
eyes open you might be able to dodge.
Here are 2 sources I recommend:

The Year Ahead by Glen Allport
Part 1. December 31, 2007
www.strike-the-root.com/72/allport/allport24.html
Part 2. January 7, 2008
www.strike-the-root.com/81/allport/allport1.html

Mish's Economic Global Trends Analysis.
Mike "Mish" Shedlock.
http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot.com/

A Report on the US Economic Picture
http://www.friendsofthetrees.net/images/Financial_report.pdf

Book Review: "Gardening When It Counts: Growing Food in Hard Times" by
Steve Solomon

Steve Solomon has written a book on family-scale, vegetable gardening
which draws on traditional US gardening prior to rural
electrification. This is one of the most important gardening books for
our times. It shatters many gardening myths. Eminently practical and
clear, down to earth instructions. I highly recommend this book for
people wanting to do basic gardening on a tight budget.

2005. New Society
Publishers.
340 pages. $19.95

My personal investment strategy

I don't have enough money to invest in gold, silver, Euros or baskets
of foreign currency.  So I am following the advice of many market
forecasters and am investing in agricultural commodities. I just took
all the money I had in the bank ($3,000) and spent it on gardening
hand-tools, bulk vegetable seeds, fruit trees, grapes, berries, and
food plants. I bought lots for myself and extra as an investment.
Perhaps I should mention that I have already accumulated large amounts
of all these resources. Friends of the Trees Tree Sale is on April 12
in Tonasket, Washington and April 19 in Twisp (catalog's on the
website). When the crunch comes I will be able to offer people a "food
growing package" of hand tools, vegetable seeds, berry plants and
propagation material. I figure this investment should be able to hold
its price in inflationary times quite nicely. Not only that, it is an
environmentally-sound, "green" investment. What is your investment
strategy?

www.friendsofthetrees.net  http://www.friendsofthetrees.net
www.fairycongress.com  http://www.fairycongress.com
Skeeter's Teaching Schedule
http://www.friendsofthetrees.net/events.htm
Spring Tree & Plant Sale
http://www.friendsofthetrees.net/images/Tree_sale_2008.pdf

Michael "Skeeter" Pilarski
Friends of the Trees
PO Box 253
Twisp, WA 98856
www.friendsofthetrees.net
friendsofthetrees at yahoo.com
(509) 997-3809

Fairy & Human Relations Congress - Skalitude Retreat Center, POB 74 -
Carlton - WA - 98114

To subscribe to this newsletter go to
https://www.mynewsletterbuilder.com/tools/subscription.php?username=jkinsey&send_id=137128309&l=s&newsletter_id=1409643945
To change your address or edit your subscription preferences, go to
https://www.mynewsletterbuilder.com/tools/subscription.php?username=jkinsey&send_id=137128309&l=p&email=ccpg@arashi.com
To forward this email to a friend, go to
https://www.mynewsletterbuilder.com/tools/forward.php?username=jkinsey&newsletter_id=1409643945&email=ccpg@arashi.com&send_id=137128309
To report this email as spam, go to
https://www.mynewsletterbuilder.com/tools/abuse_report.php?username=jkinsey&send_id=137128309&email=ccpg@arashi.com

This email was sent using MyNewsletterBuilder.com.