[Ccpg] Rainwater Harvesting for Drylands, Volume 2: Water-Harvesting Earthworks by Brad Lancaster is NOW AVAILABLE!

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Mon May 5 23:12:14 PDT 2008

Rainwater Harvesting for Drylands, Volume 2: Water-Harvesting Earthworks

http://www.harvestingrainwater.com/books/volume2/

Hello Water Harvesters.

"Rainwater Harvesting for Drylands and Beyond,
Volume 2: Water-Harvesting Earthworks" is NOW AVAILABLE!
You can order it from my website or any
bookstore. (Though it works best for me to order
it through my website, since less money is
funneled off, and I can direct more funds to
research, education, and getting the next volume
done). You can place order by check via the mail
or with credit card or pay pal - see the book
order page on the website for details.

I've also updated the website with more great resources!
In particular, I recommend you check out the
• "Water Harvesting Demonstration Sites"
• "Water Harvesting Financial Incentives"
• and all the rest found under the "Rainwater
Harvesting Info/Resources" menu button

In addition, check out the "Images, Video, and
Audio" menu button for more interactive stuff and sensory stimuli.

I will continually update and revise the website
- so keep checking back, especially for all the
events, workshops, and presentations I keep adding.

Let me know what you think with both the book and
the website I appreciate all constructive feedback.

Now get out there and harvest and plant the rain to grow abundance!

- Brad Lancaster
www.HarvestingRainwater.com

temp-2.jpg

NOW AVAILABLE!
<http://www.harvestingrainwater.com/books/volume2//books/orders/>Order here.
    *
<http://www.harvestingrainwater.com/books/volume2/testimonials/>Testimonials
and Reviews
    *
<http://www.harvestingrainwater.com/books/volume2/foreword-by-andy-lipkis/>Foreword
by Andy Lipkis
    *
<http://www.harvestingrainwater.com/books/volume2/volume-2-resource-pages-appendix-6/>Resource
Pages (appendix 6)

Earthworks are one of the easiest, least
expensive, and most effective ways of passively
harvesting and conserving multiple sources of
water in the soil. Associated vegetation then
pumps the harvested water back out in the form of
beauty, food, shelter, wildlife habitat, and
passive heating and cooling strategies, while
controlling erosion, increasing soil fertility,
reducing downstream flooding, and improving water and air quality.

Building on the information presented in Volume
1, this book shows you how to select, place,
size, construct, and plant your chosen
water-harvesting earthworks. It presents detailed
how-to information and variations of a diverse
array of earthworks, including chapters on mulch,
vegetation, and greywater recycling so you can
customize the techniques to the unique requirements of your site.

Real life stories and examples permeate the book, including:
    * How curb cuts redirect street runoff to
passively irrigate flourishing shade trees planted along the street.
    * How check dams have helped create springs
and perennial flows in once-dry creeks
    * How infiltration basins are creating thriving rain-fed gardens
    * How backyard greywater laundromats are
turning “wastewater” into a resource growing
food, beauty, and shade that builds community, and more
    * How to create simple tools to read slope and water flow
    * More than 450 illustrations and photographs

Praise for Rainwater Harvesting for Drylands and Beyond, Volume 2

“Brad Lancaster has written the definitive how-to
guide for harvesting rainwater. Much of this
information has been near impossible to find, and
we owe Brad a huge debt for assembling it so
lucidly. These universal principles work not just
in drylands, but in wetter climates too. This is
by far the best resource for designing and
building Earth-friendly, low-cost solutions to
help us save our most precious resource, water.”
–Toby Hemenway, author of “Gaia’s Garden: A Guide to Home-Scale Permaculture”

“Everyone wants to ‘go green’ lately and,
usually, the expression is followed by a plug for
a new product. Brad offers a shovel instead, and
directs you, literally, not figuratively, to your
own back yard. We’ve tried some of the methods
explained in this book, and they work. Even if
you’re a lazy, mediocre, vagabond gardener, like
we are, they still work. And if you don’t take
the time to understand every technical detail so
thoroughly outlined in this bible of rainwater– these methods still will work.”
–Shay Salomon and Nigel Valdez, author and
photographer, “Little House on a Small Planet”

“Get out your shovels and dance in the rain! That
is what Brad Lancaster’s second volume in his
trilogy on rainwater harvesting, will make you
want to do. This outstanding book provides an
abundance of well-documented ideas and tools for
sustainable living in your watershed. You don’t
have to let wasteful, polluting large-scale water
systems get you down­get out, get wet, and become
a positive part of the hydrological cycle!”
–David A. Cleveland, U of California, Santa
Barbara
(http://www.es.ucsb.edu/faculty/cleveland/) and
Center for People, Food and Environment;
co-author of “Food from Dryland Gardens”

For more Volume 2 testimonials click
<http://www.harvestingrainwater.com/books/reviews-testimonials-and-awards/testimonials/>here

Book specifications:

    * ISBN 978-0-9772464-1-0
    * LCCN 2007943019
    * Published by Rainsource Press
    * Distributed in North America by
<http://www.chelseagreen.com/>Chelsea Green Publishing Company 1-800-639-4099
    * Distributed in Australia by
<http://www.towerbooks.com.au>Tower Books 02-9975-5599
    * Paperback
    * 8.5 X 11
    * 448 pages
    * Printed on 100% post-consumer recycled paper
    * Categories: Rainwater harvesting, Water
harvesting, Landscape design, Ecology,
Sustainable development, Do-it-yourself
technology, Sustainable stormwater management, Erosion control
    *
<http://www.harvestingrainwater.com/books/volume2/testimonials/>Testimonials
and Reviews
    *
<http://www.harvestingrainwater.com/books/volume2/foreword-by-andy-lipkis/>Volume
2 Foreword by Andy Lipkis
    *
<http://www.harvestingrainwater.com/books/volume2/volume-2-resource-pages-appendix-6/>Volume
2 Resource Pages (appendix 6)

Volume 2 Foreword by Andy Lipkis

“G’day! How yur tanks?”

This four-word greeting changed my life.

Twenty-one years ago while traveling up the east
coast of Australia with my wife and infant
daughter, I noticed that nearly every
conversation between rural Australians began with this question.

Instead of the automatic, “How are you?” or “Nice
weather,” it was a specific question that­once I
figured out what it meant­spoke volumes about
these people’s connections: to the land, to each other, and to the environment.

Tanks, also known as cisterns, are the very large
containers that store captured rainwater and
provide rural Australians with their life
support: vital water for drinking, bathing, and
gardening. Many rely exclusively on captured rainwater for all their needs.

This one question bundled and abbreviated a
collection of concerns: How is your water supply
holding out? How has the rain treated you? How
are you doing in managing your land and water?
How is your family holding up? At what state of
readiness do we need to be for our community today?

Having spent much of my life working to awaken
people’s awareness and inspire them to take
personal responsibility for the environment, I
was flabbergasted at the advanced state of
consciousness being expressed by these Aussies,
and I saw in that awareness an answer to the
water crisis facing cities both in my native Los
Angeles as well as in arid and non-arid lands around the world.

And for that same reason, I congratulate and
thank you for picking up this book. You wouldn’t
be reading this if you didn’t have an awareness
of the need to take responsibility and action
either to secure your own water supply or help
solve the larger looming problems. Whether you
are in it for selfish or selfless reasons, you
are a pioneer and taking on the role of
environmental healer. You are an early
adapter­because of climate change and other
issues­to a world that is already experiencing
ever-increasing water and energy issues.

Your experience, persistence, and success in this
new wave of rainwater harvesting may lead the way
to wide-scale systemic adoption and implementation in cities around the world.

Rainwater capture is transitioning from an
individual act of personal survival and
self-reliance, to one that is replanting seeds of
community, interdependence, resilience, and sustainability.

The local and global world water situation is
becoming urgent. As humans in first world
nations, our consumption and waste of natural
resources is generating sufficient pollution and
depletion to damage and impair the healthy
functioning of nearly every natural system on
earth. These ecosystems are our life-support
infrastructure for clean, abundant, and safe
water, as well as food, oxygen, and a stable
climate. Reversing the degradation requires a
profound transformation of individual and communal perspective and behavior.

Instead of believing that government and
centralized systems are in charge of the
environment, we must shift to the other end of
the spectrum where individuals, families,
households, neighborhoods, villages, and towns
take personal and collective responsibility and
see that they are the managers of the ecosystem
and their natural life support systems. In this
emerging paradigm, government can and must
provide information, guidance, feedback,
resources, incentives, and systems that enable
people to utilize their passion, compassion,
creativity, and other energies to help out on an ongoing basis.

If the issues above aren’t reason enough, it is
important to realize that harvesting rainwater is
a crucial means of fighting global warming and
preparing our homes, families, neighborhoods, and
communities for the coming consequences.

As you read this book, you’ll find that rainwater
harvesting practiced as prescribed herein is
really watershed and ecosystem stewardship. In
sculpting your landscape and creating water
capture systems, you will be restoring,
revitalizing, or mimicking natural systems such
as forest watersheds; as such, you’ll be
repairing the ecosystem and laying the
foundations of your community’s sustainability.
And you will be a leader. Any change you make on
your home can become a demonstration and model
that others­your neighbors, elected officials, or
government agency staff­will be able to study and copy.

As president of TreePeople, a nonprofit
organization I founded 37 years ago, I like to
say that we are helping nature heal our cities.
Our work is to inspire people to take personal
responsibility and participate in making their
cities sustainable urban environments. Our prime
focus is to support people in designing,
planting, and caring for functioning community
forests in every neighborhood in Los Angeles (at
the time of this writing, one of the world’s least sustainable megacities).

Forests are natural sustainability
infrastructure. Trees are THE basic earthwork.
Amongst other things, trees and forests, and the
highly porous and mulched soil beneath them,
capture, slow, filter, store, and recycle
rainwater, and thereby recharge streams,
groundwater aquifers, and springs. They provide
protection from droughts, floods, and
pollution­cleaning the water so it’s drinkable
and usable. Trees and forests sustain life.
Unfortunately, when most cities were created, the
land’s original watershed functionality was
unwittingly destroyed. The idea behind
functioning community forests is to plant trees
and manage the land in cities in a way that
mimics natural forests, bringing water,
protection, and resources back to urban
residents. However, since urbanization has sealed
so much of the land with buildings, roads, and
parking lots, simply planting trees and creating
green spaces often isn’t enough to make up for
the lost watershed. By adding additional
rainwater harvesting technologies that are
designed to mimic nature, such as
earthworks­infiltration pits, swales, and
cisterns­it is possible to replace the watershed
and ecosystem functions that were lost.

The magnitude of the water crisis­and the
opportunity­became clear to me in 1992, when the
US Army Corps of Engineers proposed to spend half
a billion dollars to increase the capacity of the
Los Angeles River by raising the height of its
concrete walls. The Corps determined that the Los
Angeles area had been so overpaved that, instead
of soaking into the ground, rainwater from a
100-year storm event would rush off all the paved
and sealed surfaces so quickly that it would
overwhelm the river and flood the nearby cities of southern L.A. County.

It was at that moment that the “How Yur Tanks?”
lessons clicked for me. I wondered how much of
our 14.7 inches (373 mm) of average annual
rainfall we were throwing away each year, and
whether we could use that half billion dollars
for cisterns to capture and use that precious
rainwater, just like the Australians. I asked the
county’s flood control engineers and they
dismissed the idea, stating that replacing the
river walls would require installing a
20,000-gallon (75,800-liter) tank at each of one
million homes­an expensive and impossible task.
The local water supply and stormwater quality
agencies had similar responses to my questions.
The idea was too expensive for their individual
missions and budgets and would require what they
all considered to be completely unacceptable
lifestyle changes on the part of the public. In
the process of these discussions, however, I
learned that our average rainfall, if harvested
and used appropriately, could replace the portion
of our imported water that we use for landscape
irrigation­roughly half of the one billion
dollars worth of water the city of Los Angeles IMPORTED every year.

What seemed impossible to the agencies was
perfectly logical to me. Having participated in
design and deployment of LA City’s
extraordinarily successful curbside recycling
program that now serves 750,000 households, the
magnitude of the task didn’t worry me. I
researched and found out that the separate
water-related agencies had separate, unconnected
plans to spend a combined $20 billion in the next
decade or so to upgrade or repair their
respective systems, yielding only “band-aids”
with no overall improvement in sustainability of the region.

So, I began designing a 20,000-gallon
(75,800-liter) cistern that could safely fit in a
small urban yard without compromising anyone’s
lifestyle or posing any threat during our
occasional earthquakes. It turned out to be a
modular 2-foot-wide, linear, recycled food-grade
plastic tank that could replace the fence or wall
that separates most urban and suburban
residential properties. Further, I proposed to
outfit all the tanks with wireless
remote-controlled valves and pumps that would
enable flood control, water supply, and
stormwater quality officials to centrally manage
the multitude of independent tanks as one highly adaptable storage network.

The networked mini-reservoirs could thereby
perform at least triple service for potentially
less money than all the agencies’ separate
projects. By adapting all the areas’ landscapes
to become functioning community forest
watersheds, my system was intended to produce
multiple additional benefits such as creating
tens of thousands of new green-collar jobs,
saving copious amounts of electricity (by
reducing air conditioning needs with well-placed
shade trees AND reducing the pumping required to
import water over the mountains into Los
Angeles), reusing all garden and landscape
biomass and prunings on site as mulch, creating a
new local plastic recycling industry product and
market, and creating a disaster-resilient backup local water supply.
This was a lovely and compelling vision, but no
one in an official capacity took it seriously. I
realized I’d need to do something to prove that
the idea was feasible, both technically and
economically. That notion turned into a six-year
program of design, feasibility, and cost-benefit
analysis that became known as the T.R.E.E.S.
Project (Transagency Resources for Environmental
and Economic Sustainability). It involved
hundreds of engineers, landscape and building
architects, foresters, scientists, and economists
who collaborated to create a book full of designs
and specifications (Second Nature, TreePeople,
2000) to retrofit or adapt every major land use
in Los Angeles to function as urban forest
watersheds. Other team members spent two years
conducting a rigorous cost-benefit analysis. And
finally, we built a demonstration project,
adapting a single-family home in South Los
Angeles. The story of the T.R.E.E.S. Project,
including all of its major partners and
participants, is told at
<http://www.treepeople.org/trees>www.treepeople.org/trees.

The demonstration site, known as the Hall House
(named for its owner, Rozella Hall), had a
relatively simple set of interconnected
earthworks designed to capture, clean, store, and
use rainwater from a massive storm event, and
prevent any of the rainwater or biomass from
leaving the property and thus being wasted. We
built berms around the lawns, installed a mulched
swale, put in a diversion drain to pick up
driveway runoff and carry it to a sand filter
under the lawn, fabricated and installed two
modular 1,800-gallon (6,822-liter) fence-cisterns
which were fed by rooftop rain gutters through a
filter, then connected to the irrigation system,
and finally, planted a trellis “green wall” of
climbing roses to shade and cool the house’s
sun-heated south-facing wall. We also removed 30%
of the lawn and replaced the remaining turf area with drought-tolerant grass.

Then, on a hot August day in 1998, we invited our
agency partners, numerous public works officials,
and the news media to see the demonstration
house. We handed them umbrellas and unleashed a
1,500-year flood event, pumping and spraying on
that one house 4,000 gallons (15,160 liters) of
water in ten minutes. Officials huddled in
stunned silence as they watched the water fall
and flow, pooling in the bermed lawns and
cistern. They saw that none of the water flowed
to the street and stormdrain system. They saw
how, in that one instant, their annual
billion-dollar burden of separate infrastructure
systems and needs were elegantly bundled and
handled. The result: no stormwater pollution, no
street flooding, no greenwaste, dramatic water
and energy savings, more attractive landscape,
and potentially thousands of new jobs.

The head of LA County Public Works’ flood control
division couldn’t contain his enthusiasm and
proclaimed that the simple elegance meant this
demonstration could be easily replicated. A day
later, after he and his staff reviewed both our
engineered designs and cost-benefit analysis, he
called me: “I’m sorry. We didn’t understand. We
think you’ve cracked it. Your idea needs to be
deployed throughout the whole county, but it’s
going to cost more and take more time than you
think. But despite that, we need to begin scaling
this up immediately. We’d like to try this idea
to solve one of the county’s most persistent urban flooding problems.”

That was the beginning of the Sun Valley
Watershed project, located in the City of Los
Angeles’ San Fernando Valley. After a successful
two-year feasibility study, the County Public
Works Department launched a thorough
“stakeholder-led” watershed management planning
and environmental impact analysis. Six years
later, both the plan and environmental report
were approved; construction of the first project
began within a few weeks. The plan calls for the
retrofit of 20% to 40% of the watershed’s 8,000
homes, and installation of a diverse network of
earthworks. The earthworks mix ranges from simple
to complex, beginning with tree planting,
pavement removal, mulching, and berming. On the
more complex end, the projects will include
installing street swales, and school watershed
parks that replace asphalt play yards with
permeable greenspaces above large underground
infiltration systems and cisterns. Details of the
Sun Valley Watershed Plan, progress and planning
process are available at
<http://www.SunValleyWatershed.org>www.SunValleyWatershed.org.

The Sun Valley Watershed planning process
informed and transformed many of the
participating agencies and organizations and
inspired others who followed the process. For
example, Los Angeles County Public Works formed a
new, integrated Watershed Management Division.
The City of Los Angeles Bureau of Sanitation
launched and completed its first ever Integrated
Resources Plan for Water. And among several
cities outside the Los Angeles area, the City of
Seattle initiated its Salmon Friendly Seattle
program, which seeks to restore viable salmon
habitat throughout the metropolitan area by
revitalizing watershed and forest functionality
in all the city’s neighborhoods.

There are several keys to the projects’ successes so far:
1) we demonstrated that these adaptations
represented acceptable and attractive lifestyle
changes that would be politically palatable;
2) we demonstrated with rigorous engineering that
they were technically feasible, safe, and capable of solving pressing problems;
3) we demonstrated that they were economically
feasible by identifying multiple outcomes and
benefits that altogether would over time save
money for the assembled funding partners; and
4) we engaged and educated all the stakeholders
from both the community (including children) and relevant agencies.

This story is far from over. As it continues to
unfold it presents a variety of political,
jurisdictional, and regulatory issues and
problems that we work to resolve. My initial
vision was that so much water and money could be
saved by local governments that agencies would
help individuals and businesses cover the costs
of installing and maintaining the systems on
their properties. That is now happening in some
cities, such as Santa Monica, Seattle, and
Houston, that are giving grants for cisterns and water-saving landscapes.

As we confront growing water-quality and supply
issues, plus the increased threat of flooding and
weather-related calamities, it is increasingly
urgent that we find ways of adapting our homes,
neighborhoods, towns, and cities to become
climate change and disaster resilient. You have a
huge role to play in protecting your household
and region by personally implementing some of the
water-harvesting practices detailed in this book.
If you do this, and make yours a demonstration
project, you will help prove that it is feasible
and attractive for your region. You will make it
more politically palatable, so your local
politicians can pass laws, change ordinances and
codes, and make resources available to help
others implement on a wide scale. And then,
collectively, we just might tip the balance and
put our nation on the road to a healthy, just, and sustainable future.

Dig in and have fun.

-Andy Lipkis

Andy Lipkis is president of TreePeople, a Los Angeles-based social-profit

Volume 2 Resource Pages (appendix 6)

This appendix provides a comprehensive list of
helpful resources; it includes much more than
just the texts cited in Rainwater Harvesting for
Drylands and Beyond, Volume 2. This list begins
with general rainwater-harvesting resources. Then
sections II through XXV follow the topical order
in the preface, introduction, chapters, and
epilogue. Sections XXVI through XXIX provide
helpful funding, financial incentives,
human-powered pumps, and water conservation
resources. Note: On website URLs: For long URLs,
some readers may find it easier to just type in a
title search in Google or another search engine.
Almost all URLs listed below (or the organization
from which a downloadable document is available) are resources in themselves.
    *
<http://www.harvestingrainwater.com/books/volume2/volume-2-resource-pages-appendix-6/i-general-resources-for-harvesting-rainwater-with-earthworks/>I.
<http://www.harvestingrainwater.com/books/volume2/volume-2-resource-pages-appendix-6/ii-preface-mr-zephaniah-phiri-zwrp-zvishavane-water-resources-project/>II
<http://www.harvestingrainwater.com/books/volume2/volume-2-resource-pages-appendix-6/iii-preface-santa-cruz-river-southern-arizona/>III
<http://www.harvestingrainwater.com/books/volume2/volume-2-resource-pages-appendix-6/iv-preface-water-conservation-strategies-for-the-industrial-and-conventional-agriculture-sectors-and-beyond/>IV
<http://www.harvestingrainwater.com/books/volume2/volume-2-resource-pages-appendix-6/v-introduction-soil-and-vegetationthe-foundation-of-earthworks-living-systems/>V
<http://www.harvestingrainwater.com/books/volume2/volume-2-resource-pages-appendix-6/vi-introduction-fossil-fuel-free-landscapinggardening/>VI
<http://www.harvestingrainwater.com/books/volume2/volume-2-resource-pages-appendix-6/vii-introduction-taking-action-to-reduce-global-warming-and-our-ecological-footprint/>VII
<http://www.harvestingrainwater.com/books/volume2/volume-2-resource-pages-appendix-6/viii-introduction-water-harvesting-in-india/>VIII
<http://www.harvestingrainwater.com/books/volume2/volume-2-resource-pages-appendix-6/ix-chapter-1-assessing-your-site-choosing-your-earthworks-and-tips-on-implementation/>IX
(Chapter 1). Assessing Your Site, Choosing Your
Earthworks, and Tips on Implementation
    *
<http://www.harvestingrainwater.com/books/volume2/volume-2-resource-pages-appendix-6/x-chapter-2-berm-n-basins/>X
(Chapter 2). Berm ‘n Basins