[Ccpg] Permaculture Design Course In Liberia - a Resounding Success

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Sun Jun 22 08:48:43 PDT 2008

Permaculture Design Course In Liberia - a Resounding Success
http://permaculture.org.au/2008/06/21/permaculture-design-course-in-liberia-a-resounding-success/

Posted in Aid Projects, Courses/Workshops, News
by Warren Brush on the June 21st, 2008

by Warren Brush, Co-Founder of Quail Springs
Learning Oasis www.quailsprings.org

Back in March we celebrated the first graduating
class of a Permaculture Design Course in
Liberia’s history. Liberia had been in the throws
of a brutal civil war since the late 80’s when
the Permaculture movement was making its way
around the world and was unable to get into
Liberia until now, four years after the cease fire and peace building ensued.

We had 19 official graduates of the course which
took nearly a month to complete as we had to
translate into the local Lorma language. There
were six other attendees who completed 3/4 of the
course and who will complete it at a later date
which will bring the graduating class to a total
of 25. Many of the graduates shared how this was
a historical moment for Liberia as Permaculture
is seeding new ways of agriculture and living
into their part of the world and deeply into their world-views.

As we were well into the course presentation and
participation
the rain-forests surrounding us was
being clear-cut and burned to ashes, choking the
air and blocking the sun with a thick layer of
smoke. All of this
for an agricultural practice
that was introduced to them sometime ago by
western influences. At one point in the course,
an elder was talking about why they felt they had
to “slash and burn” as he referred to this form
of agriculture as traditional. I quickly reminded
him that this was a conventional practice and not
a traditional one. He quizzically looked to the
sky and said, “You know, you are right. My
ancestors did not do this to our forests. I stand corrected!”

We went on to weave the understandings of
Permaculture and their own traditional values
into the fabric of their applied understanding in
a learning journey that crossed many
western-adopted cultural boundaries. By the end
of the course, the students had created beautiful
designs for a demonstration farm, spoke
eloquently and cohesively about sustainable
agriculture and habitation to other farmers,
local radio and an international film-making team
(who is working on a film about Permaculture and
Liberia as a form of peacemaking.) They all vowed
to integrate PC into their farms and villages over the coming rainy season.

We have identified six individuals from the
course who we hope to find funding for to come to
the USA for our Permaculture Design Course with
Geoff Lawton at Quail Springs this summer to gain
further training. I will then return to Liberia
later this year to offer an intensive Train the
Trainer course for those six, in hopes that they
will become the lead trainers for PC in their
country. I will also offer several workshops for
general audiences around the country about
sustainable rice farming systems, which is the
“national staple food” of Liberia. If you have
pictures, research, anecdotes about on the ground
systems of sustainable rice growing, I would
appreciate you sharing with me for this
developing presentation (send to my email address
below). I will give all contributors and other
interested PC teachers a copy of the presentation once I finish it.

The next layer of teaching will be done in
co-partnership with these developing Liberian PC
teachers and myself. With requests coming in from
all over the country for PDC workshops to be
integrated into other regions, we are working
diligently to train locals to be the instructors
who take it nationwide. I have been interviewed
twice this trip and once last trip on UNMIL radio
which is widely listened to through-out Liberia
which has sparked this countrywide interest in
Permaculture. I also did a 1/2 hour interview on
a radio station that serves the local population
of the state I was in (called Lofa County). We
also made a visit yesterday with the Vice
President of Liberia, the Honorable Joseph
Boakai, at his offices in Monrovia to share our
successes on this journey. Permaculture is being
welcomed on all levels through-out the country.

During this visit to the northern most areas of
Liberia, I had the wonderful fortune to be
invited into several remote villages and farms to
meet the people and to see their amazing
day-to-day lives. I saw both beauty and pain yet
in everyone’s eyes their was a resilience and
appreciation for life that sparkled through. I
had many special moments with the kids and the
elders as we attempted to bridge our
communication through body language, expression
and sometimes varying degrees of english
. I was
blessed with open arms, smiles and the ultimate
sign of welcoming, adoption by the village and a
promise I could return anytime and call their home my home
..

I must continue to offer my deepest and most
sincere gratitudes for the people of Everyday
Gandhis, for the groundwork they have laid over
the past four years here in Liberia and for the
immense vision of peace and for the integrity in
which they move and learn in fulfilling their
vision. Without them, Permaculture would have
taken a lot longer to find its roots in this country.

I also send gratitude to the people of Liberia
for their ability to embrace peace and exude it
uniquely in their daily lives. I have learned so
much from them and will carry their grace back to America.