[Ccpg] Exciting opportunity for learning and contributing - Permaculturist wanted - for Uganda

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network sbpcnet at silcom.com
Tue Jul 8 11:40:30 PDT 2008

Exciting opportunity for learning and contributing - Permaculturist
wanted - for Uganda

A great opportunity for growing food and teaching permaculture
alongside about 300 children's  big smiles, songs and dances in SW Uganda.

Are you planning to travel to Africa?  And do you like a
challenge?    If so,  then we would welcome you for six to twelve
months as 'permie in residence' at our Sabina Children's Home.

Here's a taste of what we offer.

Rakai Primary School and Home for Children has just completed a
'toe-in-the-water' four day intro permaculture course (facilitated by
Rosemary Morrow and Dan Palmer) with local officials, primary school
teachers, and staff from the home .

We wanted to see if there was enough interest to commit to
permaculture and go forward with a full PDC and site development.

The results were overwhelmingly positive from every aspect of the
community.   The Home and the School are fully supportive, hopeful
and willing to throw themselves behind transforming their school and
grounds into a permaculture centre.  The local Agriculture department
sent staff to this introductory course and propose to support the
project here at  Rakai.

So, this call goes out.....for a PDC graduate with experience.

Like many  children's homes in Uganda we are not flush with money,
farm management and labour but we are rich in cuttings, seed,
compost, soil, space,  rainfall and an enthusiastic community.

Are you a good gardener?
Do you enjoy delightful, well-behaved children (there are about 300 of them)?
Would you like to work with fairly young and keen primary school teachers?
Would you appreciate a supportive environment from manager?

Can you teach a PDC?

All children and staff speak English - but you would need a sense of
the vocabulary and needs of second language speakers i.e. slow and
clear with no jargon or lingo.

You will have full board - food and accommodation on site
Modest monthly stipend

The time is right...the seeds are sown.....the design is in
place......the motivation is enormous.......

If you are excited to learn more about Rakai Primary School and
home.....we'd love to hear from you at:

<mailto:info at permacultureacrossborders.org>info at permacultureacrossborders.org
attention:   Jan Smart.