[Ccpg] Earthbag Construction Workshop: Feb 14th at The Ojai Foundation

Rachel Dawson radiantearth at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 17:25:38 PST 2009

Hi everyone,

On Saturday, February 1th, The Ojai Foundation will be hosting an Earthbag
Construction Workshop from 9:00 am until 5:00 pm.  It will be a full day of
learning experience.  We will begin the day with an introduction talk on
natural building, then move on to why we chose earthbags for this structure
vs. other applications.  We'll go over the steps that brought us to the
point where we are now (site selection, foundation, design, etc) and look at
the soil analysis which determined the mix of materials for the earthbag.

Then we will move into the hands-on phase: filling the earth bags, laying
down the different courses, and plastering the finished courses.  After
lunch we'll move into creating a small, non-load bearing entryway out of cob
and continue with the earthbag courses and plastering.  So, you'll learn and
experience three different earthen building materials: earthbag, cob and
earthern plaster.

The maximum number of people able to attend the workshop is 12 and it is for
ages 16 and up.  I have 4 spaces left, so please sign up now!

The cost for the day is $100.  Bring your own lunch.

RSVP and pre-registration is required.

Tentative future dates are March 28 and 29, to be confirmed by March 1.
On March 28 and 29 we will also be hosting a free volunteer garden work day
with a chance to camp on our land overnight.  We'll work from 9-2 each day.
You provide your own food, tent and bedding supplies.  Registration is a
must.

Please email or call to confirm your registration to Rachel Dawson at
pathofservice at ojaifoundation.org or 805-646-8343 x134.

Thanks for your interest.

Rachel Dawson
Land Steward and Volunteer Coordinator
The Ojai Foundation
www.ojaifoundation.org
--
"If there is any positive side to stark changes coming our way, it may be in
the benefits of close communal relations, of having to really work

Years from now, when we hear singing at all, we will hear ourselves, and we
will sing with our whole hearts."

"The Long Emergency", 2005, by James Howard Kunstler, Grove/Atlantic, Inc.,
publisher.