[Ccpg] 6pm today hear Timothy LaSalle / Also: "FOOD FIGHT" film at SLOIFF

bob banner info at hopedance.org
Sun Mar 8 16:56:49 PDT 2009

Also please let people know about the film FOOD FIGHT that will be
screened during the SLOIFF on March 12, 6pm at the Downtown Cinema.

<<http://slofilmfest.bside.com/2009/films/foodfight_slofilmfest2009

FOOD FIGHT
6:00 PM     Thu, Mar 12     |  Downtown Center Cinema
plays with...

* Our Neck of the Woods | Rob Connolly /  >>

where the film not only features Alice Waters and other progressives
working to create local food systems... but theres also some great
footage about HOW successful Milwaukee, WI made their community garden
on 4 acres called GROWING POWER with Macarthur genius Will Allen.

See these articles for more information about the SUCCESS of what a
community in Milwaukee has already done to achieve what SLO might
achieve:
HopeDance: http://www.hopedance.org/cms/content/view/617/86/
Transition CA: http://transitioncalifornia.ning.com/forum/topics/growing-power-in-an-urban-food
YES!: http://www.yesmagazine.org/article.asp?ID=3328 (Growing Power in
an Urban Food Desert)
Will Allen is bringing farming and fresh foods back into city
neighborhoods.

If and When you go to the SLOIFF / FOOD FIGHT film please talk it up
at the Q&A where the director Chris Taylor will be answering
questions. Here is the description of the film:

<<Over the course of the 20th century, our food system has been co-
opted by corporate forces whose interests do not lie in providing the
public with fresh, healthy, sustainably-produced food. Fortunately for
America, an alternative emerged from the counter-culture of California
in the late 60's's/early70s, where a group of political anti-corporate
protesters--led by Alice Waters--voiced their dissent by creating a
food chain outside of the conventional system. The unintended result
was the birth of a vital local-sustainable-organic food movement that
has brought back taste and variety to our tables. Premiered at the
2008 AFI Festival. Director, Chris Taylor and Executive Producer, Alan
Siegel will attend the screening.>>
83 min
For trailer, please click here: http://slofilmfest.bside.com/2009/films/foodfight_slofilmfest2009

On Mar 8, 2009, at 8:29 AM, Jan Marx wrote:

> What to do with 90 acres of prime ag land in the middle of the city?
> Hope you will be able to join us today and hear Timothy LaSalle
> address the possibilities, 6pm SLO city county library community
> room.  If you cannot make the event today, please donate to CPR, PO
> Box 712 San Luis Obispo CA 93406, so we can defend the victory over
> Measure J. See the attached invitation for more details.
>

> Who is Timothy LaSalle?  Besides being the grandson of Julian
> McPhee, since 2007 Tim has been the Chief Executive Officer of the
> Rodale Institute,  a non-profit organization that has been
> pioneering the health and environmental benefits of organic food and
> farming since 1947. Previously, Tim served as Director of the
> Pacific Northwest Earth Institute. He has extensive executive
> experience with various non-profit organizations, including the
> Environmental Center of San Luis Obispo County ECOSLO and the Allan
> Savory Centerfor Holistic Management. He served as the President and
> CEO of the Agriculture Education Foundation. For twelve years he was
> a full professor at California Polytechnic State University, where
> he taught dairy science classes. Mr. LaSalle has a PhD. in Depth
> Psychology at Pacifica Graduate Institute; he holds a M.S. in
> Populations Genetics from Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State
> University and a B.S. in Science from California Polytechnic State
> University. He has served on many non-profit boards and committees.

__________________
Bob Banner
Publisher & Director
HopeDance
Radical Solutions Inspiring Hope
2975 Vineyard Dr.
Templeton, CA 93465

FiLMs, PRiNT & Web: info at hopedance.org / http://www.hopedance.org /
805.369-0203
Transition Towns PORTAL: http://www.hopedance.org/cms/content/view/535/1
Transition CA: http://transitioncalifornia.ning.com/

Disclaimer:
The information we send out originates from reliable sources which we
believe to be accurate; but this cannot be guaranteed. We are not
responsible for any errors or omissions and we disclaim any liability
incurred as a consequence of any of the content.