[Ccpg] Obamas ready to start a White House garden

bob banner info at hopedance.org
Fri Mar 20 06:42:01 PDT 2009

Obamas ready to start a White House garden

—Rebecca Cole
     March 20, 2009

WASHINGTON — This year, the vegetables served at the White House will
be as locally grown as possible—right on the South Lawn.

After a campaign by gardeners and sustainable-food activists, the
First Family has decided to dig up part of the White House grounds for
a vegetable garden. And Friday, Michelle Obama and local elementary
school students will break ground for the project.

It's part of the first lady's promotion of healthy food for America.
But like many parents, the Obamas have had mixed results: Michelle
Obama recently said a version of "creamless" creamed spinach by White
House executive chef Cristeta Comerford still was a bit too "green"
for the kids.

Friday's activities are the culmination of a campaign to turn the 16
acres of White House grounds into an "edible landscape."

"I'm just so gratified that this idea, that seemed as right as rain
from the beginning," has finally taken hold, said restaurateur Alice
Waters, owner of Chez Panisse in Berkeley, Calif.

Michael Pollan, author of "The Omnivore's Dilemma," praised the Obamas
for starting small.

Responding to reports that the Obamas would be planting arugula,
Pollan said he specifically warned the president against it. "I said
be careful ... you'll be accused of elitism."

> http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-garden-talkmar20,0,6578094.story

thanks to Peter Huber for alerting us of this news.

__________________
Bob Banner
Publisher & Director
HopeDance
Radical Solutions Inspiring Hope  •  2975 Vineyard Dr.  •  Templeton,
CA 93465  •   805.369-0203

edible SLO: Celebrating Local Food, Farmers and Healthy Food in SLO
County
2975 Vineyard Dr.  •  Templeton, CA 93465  •   805.369-0203

FiLMs, PRiNT & Web: info at hopedance.org / http://www.hopedance.org /
805.369-0203
Transition Towns PORTAL: http://www.hopedance.org/cms/content/view/535/1
Transition CA: http://transitioncalifornia.ning.com/
HopeDance at Transition CA: http://transitioncalifornia.ning.com/group/hopedance

Disclaimer:
The information we send out originates from reliable sources which we
believe to be accurate; but this cannot be guaranteed. We are not
responsible for any errors or omissions and we disclaim any liability
incurred as a consequence of any of the content.