[Ccpg] Life After Oil /The Transition Town movement aims to wean us off our fossil fuel addiction ­ without knowing if it’ll work. How an unproven social experiment is becoming a phenomenon By Rachel Dowd Whole Life Times April 2009

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network sbpcnet at silcom.com
Sat Apr 18 13:49:07 PDT 2009

<http://wholelifetimes.com/2009/04/index.html>April
2009 | <http://wholelifetimes.com/archive/section.html?s=Feature>Feature

Life After Oil

http://wholelifetimes.com/2009/04/lifeafteroil0904.html

The Transition Town movement aims to wean us off
our fossil fuel addiction ­ without knowing if
it’ll work. How an unproven social experiment is becoming a phenomenon

By Rachel Dowd

In the late 1980s, Joanne Poyourow’s life looked
like the American Dream. A certified public
accountant in charge of multistate taxation at a
boutique practice in Newport Beach, Calif., she
had earned the shiny little sports car,
three-inch heels, and business class flights to which she had grown accustomed.

Then she left it behind.

To see Poyourow today ­ sporting a low-slung
ponytail and blue fleece jacket as she harvests
organic chard from the Holy Nativity Community
Garden in Los Angeles ­ it’s impossible not to wonder, “What happened?”

“We’ve created a society where it’s very easy to
be unreal,” she explains. “We’ve maxed out on
nearly everything. For me, it was about getting
back to real ­ because we have to.”

Poyourow is part of a budding number of Americans
embracing the phenomenon of Transition, which
starts with the idea that our triple-latte,
two-hour commute, plugged-in and gassed-up way of
life is on borrowed time. Faced with the real
threat of climate change, economic decline and
peak oil (the point when cheap and abundant oil
ends) they’re ripping up their grass lawns for
edible gardens, installing rainwater collection
barrels under roof gutters, and forming
coalitions to transition their communities to a
local and low-energy lifestyle.

“Anybody who doesn’t have his or her head in the
sand knows there’s something powerful going on in
the world,” says Vermont resident George Lisi,
instructor at Wisdom of the Herbs School in East
Calais and member of Transition Montpelier. “It’s
about seeing past the welter of information and
counter information and just getting it on a deep
level. Things are most certainly going to change
in very challenging ways. But there is truly a
lot we can do if we start now and if we work together.”

Hitting the Peak
Imagine for a moment what the world might look
like without a ready supply of oil. Or save
yourself the energy and consider Cuba in 1991.
That’s when the former Soviet Republic (Cuba’s
primary source of cheap oil) collapsed,
triggering a sudden and unexpected energy crisis
on the island. Transportation slowed to a brisk
walk. If buses did run, they ran late and were
packed beyond capacity. Electricity became spotty
and frequent blackouts cut the use of everything
from water pumps to air conditioners for up to 14
hours a day. Food production and delivery came to
a halt, which consequently lowered Cubans’
caloric intake from 2,908 calories a day in the
’80s to 1,863 in 1993. Malnutrition rose, birth
weights fell, and the average Cuban lost 20 pounds.

That’s certainly one way it could go. Though it’s
hardly the way Rob Hopkins, founder of the Transition movement, would choose.

In 2005, while teaching a course on Practical
Sustainability in Ireland, Hopkins and his
students created the Kinsale Energy Descent Plan,
the first strategic design for weaning a
community off fossil fuels. That same year,
Hopkins turned his PhD thesis into a roadmap down
from the twin peaks of oil dependency and climate
change. He called it the Transition Model: “a
social experiment on a massive scale” that,
incidentally, may not actually work.

The humble caveat didn’t stop the people of
Totnes in Devon, England, from becoming the first
official Transition Town in 2005. And it hasn’t
dissuaded more than 145 towns and cities
worldwide ­ including 17 in the United States ­ from signing on since.

If America’s interest in an unproven social
experiment came as surprise to Jennifer Gray,
Hopkins’ longtime friend and the current
president and cofounder of Transition US, she
quickly recovered. “I expect the movement will be
bigger here,” says the Bay Area denizen, who was
instrumental in launching the second Transition
Town in Penweth, England, in 2006. “People are
entrepreneurial. They have a very strong
pioneering spirit and the uptake of new ideas is
much faster here than in the U.K.”

Of course our never-say-die spirit can have a
downside. “We have had challenges dealing with
big egos,” Gray admits. Case in point: Two very
strong characters tried to establish competing
Transition initiatives in the same California
town, which Gray declines to name. “People want
to take it in different directions. They’re used
to doing things their way, aren’t they?”

A Culture of Permanence
To prepare for the possibility of peak oil,
Hopkins preaches many of the same solutions Cuba
used in the ’90s. The ultimate goal of Transition
is to make a community resilient in the face of
external shocks like oil and food shortages.
Hopkins theorizes the best way to get there is
through re-localization of food, energy,
economics, healthcare, transportation, water and
waste. In short, he says anything that has become
part of the fossil-fuel dependant global economy
needs to be reclaimed as a sustainable,
low-energy, local initiative. That means
community gardens and backyard vegetable plots,
building materials like straw bale and cob,
energy generation from solar and wind, and
development of local currency and gray water
programs. It means re-skilling ourselves in
everything from farming to darning socks. But
unlike Cuba, Transition doesn’t rely on the
government to institute change ­ it’s fueled by
the will and ingenuity of the people.

Anyone who has brushed up against the
environmental movement in the past decade will
likely recognize the re-localization talk. But
look a tad closer and Transition reveals itself
to be the spitting image of Permaculture ­ a
system created by Australian ecologist Bill
Mollison in 1978 to generate a culture of
permanence through smaller ecosystems that
function harmoniously within the larger natural ecosystem.

“Rob has cleverly packaged it in different
paper,” explains Jennifer Gray, who like Hopkins
is a Permaculture educator. “Permaculture was
reaching out to gardeners and diggers and
activists. Transition is reaching out to
communities, governments and businesses. A lot is
in the word ­ say, ‘Transition Towns’ and people
are intrigued and excited ­ but it’s definitely a
permaculture model through and through.”

“I think of it as Permaculture 2.0,” says Eric
Anderson, a handyman and member of Transition LA,
to 40 people at a Permaculture meeting in Santa
Monica, Calif. “Transition just takes some of the
[permaculture] concepts and makes them purposeful.”

The concept of Transition is clear even if the
execution is murky. Like a house full of foster
kids, Transition Towns are unquestionably a
family, though technically no one has the same
genetics. While each community follows the
12-step process outlined in Hopkins’ Transition
Handbook ­ including setting up a steering
committee, creating public awareness, developing
projects and eventually crafting an energy
descent action plan ­ each place is tasked to
carry out those steps in a way that both responds
to the community’s most pressing needs and emphasizes its assets.
For example, New England sensibility has kept the
residents of Montpelier, Vt., well versed in
practical skills like dairy farming and canning
fruit ­ huge advantages to the re-localization of
food production ­ but the challenge of heating
homes without oil in a climate where winter
temperatures hover below 20 degrees is
astronomical. The artist enclave of Laguna,
Calif., which became an official Transition Town
in November 2008, has the benefit of a robust
local business community that caters to tourism,
making it a perfect environment for instituting
local currency. But squeezed between a 7,000-acre
greenbelt and the Pacific Ocean, Laguna at
present imports all of its food and water.

And then there’s Los Angeles, graced with a
12-month growing season but burdened by a
population of 13 million and a water supply that
travels hundreds of miles via aqueducts to reach
the city. Hardly a town, LA is perhaps the
ultimate testing ground for Transition’s
unwavering optimism. “If I stop to think about
it, that’s enough to throw on the breaks,” says
Transition LA’s Poyourow about the daunting task
of transitioning her city. “You do what’s under
your nose. Go work in your own backyard. Just
because a project is big doesn’t mean you don’t start.”

Geography isn’t solely responsible for why each
Transition Town is unique. The people involved
also define its spirit. For instance, dietician
and therapist Becky Prelitz has numerous ideas
about how Transition Laguna can work with the
greenbelt to grow food, generate solar energy and
harvest rainwater. “But we need to do a lot of
foundation building before that can be heard,”
she says. “We can’t just be groovy in the dirt.
We need to be a little slick too.” Consequently,
Transition Laguna’s six-person steering committee
has taken its time crafting a mission statement
and preparing to introduce the group to the
community. Whereas in Los Angeles, “anything is
part of outreach and awareness if we have people
to do it,” says Poyourow. “What’s your passion?
Then let’s do that.” Different members of Los
Angeles’ roughly 10-person group have begun pet
projects like the Holy Nativity edible garden ­
which provides the Los Angeles Regional Food Bank
with a weekly supply of fresh produce ­ urban
fruit harvesting, and a political letter writing campaign.

It should be noted that each Transition Town
presently makes up only a very tiny percentage of
people in a community. In fact, towns can earn
official Transition status from the international
Transition Network with only four or five
dedicated residents willing to lead the way. So
the first order of business for newly-anointed
towns is reaching out to their neighbors and
getting them on board. Most don’t aim to convert
the Hummer driver ­ at least at first. Rather,
they speak about Transition at Permaculture
meetings and visit local eco-villages; they join
forces with existing environmental groups, talk
up their plans at farmers’ markets, and set up
social networking sites to disseminate information and foster discussion.

“It starts with just a few thoughtful and
committed people,” says Gray. “Our aim is to get
everyone on board with Transition, but I don’t
think we will in time for the shocks that are
coming. Even if the larger part of our community
isn’t prepared, we have this small shabby group
of people who at least have a methodology for
organizing and getting together and collectively
trying to figure out how to survive.”

With the oldest U.S.-based Transition Town in
Boulder, Colo., only two years old, it’s hard to
say what the movement will accomplish, how many
people it will inspire, and whether it will
withstand the two-headed monster of peak oil and
climate change. But for 17 towns in the U.S. ­
including places as disparate as Ketchum, Idaho,
Portland, Maine, and Pima, Ariz. ­ that doesn’t
seem to matter. They’re busy throwing kick-off
parties that in some cases have attracted
hundreds of curious participants, planting
community gardens, and screening films like An
Inconvenient Truth and The End of Suburbia to
encourage neighbors to face the problem and brainstorm solutions.

In these early days, Transition Towns amount to
profound work on a small scale that inspires hope
in an age where that sentiment is in short
supply. Hope that people will wake up to the
imminent need to change; hope that we can truly
change our world; hope that we’re not too late.
Whether Transition will work may not be the point
ultimately. “Even if nothing comes of this,” says
Sarah Edwards of Transition Pine Mountain,
Calif., “it makes for a better life today.”

“I have this image of the musicians that carried
on playing on the Titanic rather than scrambling
for a lifeboat,” Gray says. “I’d rather be those
people playing something beautiful and hoping we
don’t sink. And we probably will sink ­ but at
least I’ve done something my son can be proud of.”

Rachel Dowd is a Los Angeles-based writer
currently contemplating what edible plants to
include in her first container garden.

Twelve Steps to Community

At first blush, Transition Towns might look
strikingly similar to other cultural responses to
climate change and peak oil, from EcoVillages to
urban homesteading. But one key ­ and provocative
­ distinction is that Transition is grounded in
the principles of addiction psychology.

According to Transition founder Rob Hopkins, most
environmental organizations operate under the
premise that awareness naturally inspires action
­ i.e. if people only knew how awful things
really were, they would change their profligate
ways. But our brains don’t work that way, says
Hopkins. Instead, we’re more like addicts, hooked
on fossil fuels ­ and our recovery is likely to
be as fraught and incremental as that of any lifelong, hardcore abuser.

For an inkling of the monumental challenge we
face, consider the stages of addiction recovery:
After years of abuse ­ marked by periods of
denial, fear, defiance, and destruction ­ an
addict comes to realize that something must
change. So he contemplates the pros and cons of
life without his chosen drug. If the pros
prevail, the addict commits to breaking his
addiction and prepares a plan. Then comes the
action stage, which implements and revises the
plan. In time, the addict stops using completely
and eventually integrates abstinence ­ no longer
an acute struggle ­ into his new lifestyle. At
any point during this cycle, there is strong
potential to lose heart or become complacent,
leading to relapse to an earlier stage.

Hopkins designed the Transition Model to
acknowledge and respond to people at different
stages of their recovery from fossil fuels. To
meet the challenges of the contemplation stage ­
when an addict needs a place to voice his
thoughts, concerns, ambivalence, and desire ­
Hopkins created Open Space events, where large
groups of people engage on questions like “How
will our town feed itself beyond the age of peak
oil?” Hurdling the preparation stage requires a
plan, which Transition accomplishes through its
development of positive, forward-looking, community-based projects.

What makes the Transition Movement so appealing
is its fundamental positivity. It posits that a
group of creative, intelligent, and dedicated
people actually can transition our modern,
maxed-out, and alienated global culture into a
harmonious and social community. In this way, the
grim specters of peak oil, climate change, and
economic collapse are recast as entry points to a
more beautiful, enriching and peaceful world ­ a
world in which we rely on each other. Unlike the
treeless desolation of post-Apocalyptic sci-fi
films, the future for Hopkins is lush and
bountiful, filled with music and art and honest
connection. The end of the world as we know it is a good thing.

A skeptic might argue that Hopkins’ image of what
life could be assumes that humans are genuinely
good and sensible, while history proves
otherwise: people are inherently self-destructive
and self-serving, motivated by a desire to attain
rather than sustain. And if addiction recovery is
the model, Transition can expect roughly 70
percent of people to return to oil dependency within the first year.

But Hopkins is no skeptic. “He’s hopelessly
optimistic,” says Gray, “which is one part of
what makes him so endearing.” And for a small and
growing group of people set on bringing about a
better world after peak oil, that optimism is
fuel for their fire. “I see a potentially better
life ahead,” says Transition Laguna’s Becky
Prelitz. “I’m not Pollyanna; I realize there are
big problems. This is an opportunity to find ourselves, to give back.”

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network
    an educational non-profit since 2000
(805) 962-2571
P.O. Box 92156, Santa Barbara, CA 93190
margie at sbpermaculture.org
www.sbpermaculture.org

"We are like trees, we must create new leaves, in
new directions, in order to grow." - Anonymous

First Annual Southern California Permaculture Convergence August 2008
http://socalifornia.permacultureconvergence.org