[Ccpg] PR/May 28/SB Perm Network ECO-Film Night Honors Nader Khali

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network sbpcnet at silcom.com
Fri May 15 14:01:39 PDT 2009

Press Release:
Contact: Margie Bushman
Santa Barbara Permaculture Network
(805) 962-2571, margie at sbpermaculture.org
Emacs!

Santa  Barbara Permaculture Network
  ECO-Film Night
Honoring the Life of Visionary Architect Nader Khalili

with film-maker Dastan Khalili & documentary film feature
  "Earth Turns to Gold"

Thursday, May 28, 2009
Santa Barbara Public Library, Faulkner Gallery
  7pm, donation $5

"Earth turns to Gold in the hands of the Wise"
                                         Rumi

         On Thursday, May 28, at 7pm, Santa Barbara Permaculture
Network ECO-Film Night honors the life of visionary architect Nader
Khalili and the California Institute of Earth & Architecture
(Cal-Earth), with a feature film documentary "Earth Turns to Gold" by
Dastan Khalili.

         Designing with Nature, using Earth, Water, Air, Fire and the
simple shapes of arches, vaults and domes, Nader Khalili taught we
could easily build homes for humanity with nothing more than the soil
beneath our feet.  He suggests that if we recognize the equilibrium
of these elements, we will never have any environmental
problems.  Learning the perfect harmony of nature and how it can be
applied to architecture, this practical harmony can help us build
habitats that are sustainable, nontoxic, and ecologically sound.

         Leaving behind pitched roofs of conventional housing, his
arched earthen structures don't require a single tree to be cut,
helping to eliminate deforestation around the globe  Because of the
dome egg shaped "shell-a-structure" design, they are some of the
strongest buildings possible, able to withstand hurricanes, floods,
and fires.  Originally designed to be ceramic (fired earth) houses,
if properly built, grow stronger in fire, and have been tested to 6.5
on the Richter scale for earthquakes, making them perfect candidates
for housing in Southern California.

         Santa Barbara Permaculture Network began visiting Cal-Earth
more than ten years ago for annual road-trips in the Fall to follow
the evolving site and its many innovative building prototypes.  A
strong friendship developed that lasted until the death of Nader
Khalili last year.  Noting that Khalili's work actually started in
Santa Barbara County, with a 600 ft prototype house on an 850 acre
proposed village site in New Cuyama in the late 1980's, Santa Barbara
Permaculture Network wanted to acknowledge his extraordinary life
with an evening of tribute in our community.

         Khalili was a Muslim born in Iran.  His grandmother raised
him on Sufi mysticism and the poetry of Rumi, a poet born in 1 3th
century Persia, who inspired all of his work.  Khalili became an
architect who built high-rises in both Los Angeles and Tehran.  In
the 1970's he took a sabbatical from his busy career to travel
through the deserts of the Middle East on motorcycle.  While
searching for simple structures suitable for housing the poor he
noticed dome-like structures used for baking and grain storage that
had stood strong through the millennia in areas frequented by
earthquakes. He returned to found Cal-Earth, located eventually on a
ten acre site in Hesperia, California, where he worked tirelessly to
perfect a building technique that would use only natural, on-site
materials, but could also pass rigorous building and safety
codes.  One of his best-known inventions was the "Super Adobe"
Earthbag construction system, developed for NASA in the 1980's, who
had put out a call for designs for structures on the Moon and
Mars.  Khalili argued the same wisdom and  logic for using on-site
materials, as transporting materials from Earth would cost more than
gold. Khalili's smaller Earthbag houses were proposed as affordable
solutions for poverty stricken areas in Africa, India, and South
America. He received special recognition from the United Nations for
his "Housing for the Homeless" proposal in 1987 and his prototypes
were recognized with the Aga Khan Award for Architecture in 2004.  He
is the author of numerous books including Racing Alone, and Sidewalks
on the Moon, and was an accomplished translator of the poetry of
Rumi.  At the time of his death, he was perfecting a 3 bedroom, two
car garage house designed with middle America and the suburbs in
mind.  With the devastating fires that had frequented all of Southern
California in recent years, he felt it was time to build houses that
fit into the fire ecology of our region.

         Dastan Khalili is a film-maker who has recently finished a
series of films of his fathers life work. His Greenworks Company
works in affiliation with the Cal-Earth non-profit, and is dedicated
to making and distributing environmental and humanitarian films and
productions. Copies of the films and books will be available for
purchase at the event.

         The event takes place on Thursday, May 28, 7pm at the
downtown Santa Barbara Public Library, 40 East Anapamu St, Santa
Barbara. Donation $5, no reservations needed.  The event is presented
by Santa Barbara Permaculture Network Non-Profit. For more
information, (805) 962-2571,
margie at sbpermaculture.org,  www.sbpermaculture.org

-end-

More Info/Website,You Tube sites:

Cal-Earth website: www.calearth.org

Cal-Earth on You Tube:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5_LPYFyaFE&feature=channel_page

www.youtube.com/user/dastonkalili

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network
    an educational non-profit since 2000
(805) 962-2571
P.O. Box 92156, Santa Barbara, CA 93190
margie at sbpermaculture.org
www.sbpermaculture.org

"We are like trees, we must create new leaves, in new directions, in
order to grow." - Anonymous

First Annual Southern California Permaculture Convergence August 2008
http://socalifornia.permacultureconvergence.org