[Ccpg] American Prospect: The Peak Shrink / Freaked out about the end of oil? There's a therapist for that.

bob banner info at hopedance.org
Mon May 25 09:59:59 PDT 2009

Kathy McMahon
http://www.peakoilblues.com/blog/

>> American Prospect article 5 26 2009
>>
>> http://www.prospect.org/cs/articles?article=the_peak_shrink
>>
>> The Peak Shrink
>>
>> Freaked out about the end of oil? There's a therapist for that.
>>

>> Leigh Ferrara | May 26, 2009
>>

>> In a small liberal town in Massachusetts' Berkshires, Kathy McMahon
>> makes her living spicing up people's sex lives. But arguably her most
>> prescient work is not as a couple's therapist; it's as an online
>> advice
>> columnist for people who are freaked out about the coming peak-oil
>> crisis.
>>
>> More than three years ago, peak oil -- the idea that we have
>> exceeded or
>> are fast approaching the earth's maximum capacity for oil
>> extraction --
>> rocked this middle-class, middle-aged clinical psychologist's mind-
>> set.
>> In May 2006, shortly after her peak oil "awakening," McMahon started
>> Peak Oil Blues, a "Dear Abby"–like online column about waning fossils
>> fuels, in part to deal with her own growing unease over the
>> scarcity of
>> oil. "My world was dramatically changed when I learned about peak
>> oil,"
>> McMahon's introductory post reads. "The more I looked around, the
>> more
>> things I realized would go, like plastics or kiwi fruit."
>>
>> Although there is little disagreement that the oil supply is
>> limited, a
>> debate exists between those who believe that we hit peak-oil
>> production
>> several years ago and others who predict it's still decades away.
>> Some
>> folks are a bit more concerned than others. Peak-oil doomers, as
>> they're
>> prone to call themselves, believe life as we know it -- convenient,
>> cheap, plentiful (and with kiwi!) -- is coming to an end, and very
>> soon.
>> Although McMahon's not one for proclaiming the apocalypse is near,
>> she
>> doesn't want people asleep at the wheel, either.
>>
>> Many people have "this idea of the fantasy collapse," McMahon told me
>> when I met her in her hometown of Cummington last August. They
>> imagine
>> "waking up one day and the earth has dramatically changed and there
>> are
>> people in the street in Golden Hordes invading our neighborhoods and
>> stealing our stuff. People don't want to see collapse as slower and
>> slower every day, but that is a much more likely scenario." This
>> "slow
>> burn" is already happening, McMahon says. "People need to wake up."
>>
>> Most of McMahon's readers are wide awake. Day after day, she counsels
>> these environmentalists-in-despair on the benefits of being prepared.
>> One advice-seeker, "Bigfoot," pleads for guidance on dealing with his
> [...]

__________________
Bob Banner
Publisher & Director

HopeDance
Radical Solutions Inspiring Hope  •  2975 Vineyard Dr.  •  Templeton,
CA 93465  •   805.369-0203
http://www.hopedance.org/cms
HopeDance at Transition CA: http://transitioncalifornia.ning.com/group/hopedance
Follow us at twitter: http://twitter.com/hopedance

edible SLO: Celebrating Local Food, Farmers and Healthy Food in SLO
County
2975 Vineyard Dr.  •  Templeton, CA 93465  •   805.369-0203
http://www.ediblesanluisobispo.com
http://transitioncalifornia.ning.com/group/ediblesanluisobispo
Follow us on TWITTER: http://twitter.com/edibleslo

FiLMs, PRiNT & Web: info at hopedance.org / http://www.hopedance.org /
805.369-0203
TRANSITION:
Transition Initiative PORTAL: http://www.hopedance.org/cms/content/view/535/1
Transition CA: http://transitioncalifornia.ning.com/

Disclaimer:
The information we send out originates from reliable sources which we
believe to be accurate; but this cannot be guaranteed. We are not
responsible for any errors or omissions and we disclaim any liability
incurred as a consequence of any of the content.