[Ccpg] Prince Charles Interview: "We need to make mainstream alternative" example Permaculture Institute in the Amazon

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network sbpcnet at silcom.com
Mon May 25 13:03:45 PDT 2009

Prince Charles Interview:
Seiten 1 | 2
"We need to make mainstream alternative"
http://www.stern.de/wissenschaft/natur/:Prinz-Charles-Interview-We/700507.html
  © Claudio Onorati/DPA
Kämpft seit Jahren gegen die Zerstörung der
Umwelt: Der britische Thronfolger Prinz Charles
Von Cornelia Fuchs, London

Your Royal Highness, for decades you have been
warning about damage to the natural balance of
our planet. Where has this conviction to protect
the environment come from and do you feel
vindicated that your work is now recognized on a
global scale after years of lacklustre support?

I have always been someone who prefers action to
words, in the hope that I can, in some small way,
help to maintain this planet for future
generations. I suppose more than anything my
motivation is that I do not want my children and
grandchildren, or anyone else's for that matter,
saying to me "Why didn't you do something when it
was possible to make a difference and when you knew what was happening?"

As a teenager in the early 1960's, I felt deeply
about the wanton destruction of so much of our
natural and built environment and of the
imposition of an ideology that saw progress as
purely linear and mechanistic and which, in the
process, discarded so much accumulated wisdom and
knowledge. I felt desperately the loss of balance
that this entailed, and all I have been trying to
do for these past decades is to right the
balance. Hence I believe it is essential that
from now on we rediscover how to work in harmony
with Nature, rather than against her. There needs
to be a balanced and integrated approach to how
we live on this planet, so that we are a part of,
and not apart from, Nature and her underlying
patterns of which we are a microcosm.

Whether I am vindicated or not isn't really the
point. There is no pleasure in being proved right
when that means that the world finds itself
facing such imminent and catastrophic danger. How
I wish that we had not ended up in the position
that we now find ourselves. But I have to say
that, to me, it feels as if we are in the process
of quite literally testing the world to
destruction as we accumulate increasing evidence
of the collapse of natural ecosystems all around
us - ecosystems on which we all crucially depend.
What would give me the greatest possible reward
would be if the world took the urgent action
needed, as indicated by all the science of
climate change and by the melting of the Arctic
and Antarctic ice caps, to prevent the credit
crunch rapidly becoming an infinitely more
dangerous climate and ecosystems crunch.

We truly are at a defining moment in history. The
threat of climate change is simply too important
to ignore. However, there is still reason to
believe that there is a short time left to
improve the situation and achieve greater global
sustainability. But I fear it is a very small
window of opportunity that is left open to usŠ
How important were visits to the Amazonian
rainforest, and other parts of the world, for you
to understand the climate change issue? Would you
be so kind to share a memory of such a visit that made a lasting impact on you?

Clearly, it makes a big difference to have
visited rainforest countries if the impact of
climate change is to be fully understood, but
during the course of my life I have travelled a
great deal on countless official visits and have
kept my eyes and ears open, thus forming my own
impressions of what was happening. I have been
lucky enough to meet all sorts of people from
many different fields and to pick their brains. I
have seen, and heard of, many different projects
that are making a big difference to people's
lives and to their environments, mainly through
offering an alternative, more holistic approach
than the conventional form of development which,
quite frankly, has often been partly the cause of
the environmental disintegration we are witnessing.

This is why I have supported genuinely
sustainable, "organic" farming for so long; why I
have battled on behalf of small farmers and grass
roots communities all around the world; why I
have equally struggled for a more humane approach
to the built environment that recognizes local
and cultural identity, rather than the imposition
of a monoculture of techno-global uglification.
To meet the imminent threat of catastrophic
climate change, I would suggest we need to make
mainstream what has up to now been dismissed as "alternative".

  For instance, what made a lasting impact on me
was a visit to the Permaculture Institute in the
Amazon. In little more than a decade, this
remarkable project has integrated agroforestry,
aquaculture, and multiple animal systems within a
restored landscape that had been utterly
destroyed by deforestation. The whole now forms a
Virtuous Circle within which all the necessary
animal feed is grown and biofuels for the farm
vehicles and machinery are produced. What is so
deeply impressive is the practical way in which
the Institute demonstrates how genuine
sustainability can be achieved by applying the principles it has developed.

There is nothing "alternative" in these
underlying principles. Indeed, I believe they are
of the greatest importance if we are to chart a
new and more stable course to live in harmony
with Nature, rather than trying pointlessly to
gain mastery over her. Only in this way can we
hope to mitigate the terrible effects of climate change.

   At the meeting of world leaders that you
convened at St. James's Palace on 1st April, you
presented US Secretary Hillary Clinton as well as
several heads of state with the idea of Your
Royal Highness's Rainforests Project. Why should
we pay billions of dollars to other nations to
save their rainforest in a time of a world-wide recession?
The conservation of the world's rainforests is
absolutely crucial for the welfare not just of
the Rainforest Nations themselves, but of the
entire planet. Tropical deforestation is one of
the major drivers of global warming. It is
responsible for around seventeen per cent of
world-wide carbon emissions - more than the
entire global transport system combined. The
rainforests provide the rainfall that helps crops
grow around the world as well as helping clean
the air that we breathe and absorbing carbon on a
vast scale. They are also the repository of a
vast array of biodiversity without which humanity
cannot survive on this planet. Quite simply, they
are a massive global utility helping to sustain
life as we know it. Without them, humanity will
struggle to survive. Therefore, we have no choice
but to keep them standing, whether there is a
recession or not. If we lose the rainforests, and
the essential ecosystem services they provide to
the planet, then the economic costs we will all
face - not just those who live in the Rainforest
Nations - will be far, far greater than anything we are seeing today.

As it happens, the experts agree that preserving
the rainforests is one of the cheapest and
quickest ways to reduce carbon emissions and to
mitigate the damaging effects of global warming,
thereby buying us precious time as we struggle to
create genuinely low carbon economies by
developing new, cleaner technologies. But such
technologies are at least seven to ten years away
from being implemented at scale and so we have to
introduce an emergency package to save the rainforests in the meantime.
We must also not forget that some 1.4 billion of
the poorest people in the world depend for their
livelihoods upon the rainforests, so financial
support to maintain the forests is essential to
help these vulnerable communities and to
establish better integrated rural development projects.

And, apart from anything else, since the
developed half of the world has helped, albeit
unwittingly, to bring about the problem in the
first place, not only by emitting vast quantities
of carbon into the atmosphere, but also by
creating the demand for soya, palm oil and timber
which is causing the rainforests to be destroyed
so rapidly, it surely has to be fair that it
should now help to pay for the vital services
provided by the rainforests. In any case, we pay
for our water, gas and electricity - now we need
to see the rainforests as a giant global utility.
And we must never forget that it is the health
and stability of the global environment that
sustains our economy and not the other way round.

How do you want to ensure that rainforest trees
will soon be worth more alive than dead? And how
will this help prevent climate change?

 From the beginning, the aim of my Rainforests
Project has been to consult as widely as possible
and to seek out and develop solutions to the
problem of deforestation by working with the
private, public and N.G.O. sectors to create a global partnership.

Encouragingly, proposals are beginning to emerge
as to how the 10-15 billion dollars per year
needed to make a significant impact might be
raised. One of the proposals being considered is
my Project's own idea for the issuing of new,
government-backed rainforest bonds which would
raise money to support sustainable forms of
economic development that do not involve
destroying the rainforests. The bonds would be
offered to the investment community and could
provide companies in, for example, the pensions
and insurance sectors with guaranteed returns
while, at the same time, making available some of
the significant resources needed to help slow
down deforestation. It is perfectly possible to
structure such bonds so that the repayment to the
investors by governments is deferred, to
everyone's benefit, to a future date. This would
be helpful to governments currently grappling
with the recession. I think it is important to
note that the use of a Rainforest Bond means that
it would be possible to raise much larger sums
from the private sector now than would ever
normally be provided from traditional overseas aid budgets.
Crucially, the payments of money from the bonds
would be linked to agreed targets for forest
conservation and countries would only be paid if
the rainforests stayed intact. This would place a
substantial value on the standing forests and
create strong incentives for governments,
communities and individuals in Rainforest Nations
to address the drivers of deforestation, while
giving them the means to pursue sustainable,
low-carbon development. The meeting I held at St.
James's Palace a month ago with Chancellor
Merkel, President Sarkozy, Secretary Clinton and
other international leaders before the G20 Summit
led to an agreement to work further on these and
other proposals so that they could initially be
considered at the G8 meeting in July with a final
assessment and, I hope, commitment to action by
the time of the World Bank Annual Meeting in
October. If such a commitment emerges, then I
believe that it could lead to a significant and
rapid reduction in tropical deforestation and the
carbon emissions that that entails.

In your key note speech on climate change in Rio
de Janeiro, you pointed out that the world has
less than 100 months left to work against climate
change. Do you fear that the current economic
downturn will prevent schemes like the
Rainforests Project's to go ahead as planned?

There is a real danger that the current recession
will cause a critical delay in addressing the
urgent issues I have mentioned - and you only
have to visit, as I did, the Potsdam Institute
for Climate Impact Research and to talk to its
eminent team of scientists and economists, led by
Professor Joachim Schellnhuber, who is a member
of the Nobel Prize winning International Panel on
Climate Change, to realize just how incredibly alarming the issues are.

This is why I have been devoting so much time and
effort to building a global partnership between
the private, public and N.G.O. sectors over the
past eighteen months and why I am trying to
answer these questions you have posed me. At the
end of the day, if we can put together a global
membership campaign that signs up not only major
private sector corporations, the Media and
N.G.O.'s, but also members of the public and
entire communities around the world in an effort
to halt rainforest deforestation, then we will
make it a great deal easier for the international
leaders gathered in Copenhagen in December to take the necessary decisions.

Equally, I believe there is a far greater
likelihood of persuading India and China and the
rest of the developing world to agree to what
needs to be done to address the threat of
catastrophic climate change, and the collapse of
ecosystems, if the developed world acknowledges
its responsibility for creating the crisis by
making it possible for what the Rainforests
Project is proposing - in other words, an
innovative way of paying the rainforest countries
for the ecosystem services they provide - to go ahead for all our sakes.

What I keep trying to convince people is that
whatever difficulties the world is experiencing
now as a result of the global financial crisis,
they are as nothing compared to what will happen
if the full effects of climate change start to
materialize: war, famine, social instability and
shortage of water are predicted by people far
more knowledgeable than me - many of them at the
Potsdam Institute. On the bright side, there is
also a growing sense that many countries are
beginning to see the creation of low carbon
businesses as one of the best ways out of the
recession - and that would be better news for climate change.

You just returned from a visit to Berlin. May we
ask what was the most enjoyable part of your stay in Germany?

For me, perhaps the most enjoyable and, indeed,
remarkable part of our visit was being able to
stay in the rebuilt Adlon Hotel in what used to
be the old East Berlin, looking out from my room
at the Brandenburg Gate. For someone like myself,
who was born in 1948 and who spent so much of my
life during the Cold War, feeling deeply for a
divided German people, witnessing the building of
the Berlin Wall and visiting Berlin on many
occasions to see British troops stationed there,
it was not only an extraordinary experience, but
also immensely heartening to see the restoration
and rebuilding that has taken place since my last
visit. It was also marvellous to be able to
commemorate the Sixtieth Anniversary of the
Allied efforts during the Berlin Airlift which
helped to secure the city's future and in which
my country played such an important part.

- Release Date: 05/24/09 07:09:00

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network
    an educational non-profit since 2000
(805) 962-2571
P.O. Box 92156, Santa Barbara, CA 93190
margie at sbpermaculture.org
www.sbpermaculture.org

"We are like trees, we must create new leaves, in
new directions, in order to grow." - Anonymous

First Annual Southern California Permaculture Convergence August 2008
http://socalifornia.permacultureconvergence.org