[Ccpg] PR: August 8 / Permaculture Around the World Series / Robyn Francis / Cuba

bob banner info at hopedance.org
Thu Jul 16 09:45:34 PDT 2009

> PRESS RELEASE
> Contact: Margie Bushman
> Santa Barbara Permaculture Network.
> (805) 962-2571, margie at sbpermaculture.org
> Santa Barbara Permaculture Network
>  Permaculture Around the World Series
> with Robyn Francis from Australia speaking on
> Permaculture in CUBA
>
> Saturday, August 8, 6:30 - 8:30pm 2009, Donation $5
> Santa Barbara Central Library, Faulkner Gallery
>       Santa Barbara Permaculture Network continues its Permaculture
> Around the World series, this time welcoming Robyn Francis from
> Australia as she speaks about herpast and future visits to Cuba
> where she and other Australian permaculturists have been credited
> with helping Cuba transform the islands agriculture to a more
> sustainable model through perrmaculture.
>
>    Climate Change and Peak Oil are topics on the minds of many
> Americans today.  There is much to learn from Cuba's response to the
> sudden loss of cheap and abundant oil in the early 1990's with the
> fall of the Soviet Union and the continued U.S. Embargo in place
> since the 1960's.  Cuba's industrial model of agriculture under the
> Soviets was highly mechanized with monoculture crops reliant on
> petro-based pesticides and fertilizers.  The era in Cuba following
> the Soviet collapse is known to Cubans as the "Special Period" when
> it lost more than 50 percent of it oil imports, much of its food,
> and 85 percent of its trade economy.  Transportation halted, people
> went hungry, and the average Cuban lost 30 pounds.
>
>         Dictated by reality, Cubans began to bring agriculture into
> the city with urban gardens, cultivating vegetables wherever they
> could.  A small group of Australians assisted in this grass-roots
> effort, coming to Cuba in 1993 to teach Permaculture, a system based
> on sustainable agriculture that uses far less energy.  With a grant
> from the Cuban government they set up the first Permaculture
> demonstration site, that evolved into the Foundation for Nature and
> Humanity's Urban Permaculture demonstration site located in Havana.
> Today 50 percent of Havana's vegetables come from inside the city,
> while in other Cuban towns and cities, urban gardens produce from 80
> percent to more than 100 percent of what they need.
>         More recently Australians have come back to Cuba to assist
> after two devastating hurricanes wrought massive destruction
> throughout Cuba in September 2008.  The loss of crops, soil and
> organic matter from the torrential rains and flooding, challenged
> all the islands agriculture, including the permaculture sites.
> Robyn Francis and the Cuba-Australia Permaculture Exchange (CAPE)
> toured the island to assess the damage, offer help, and take the
> opportunity to learn from the disaster to design more resilient
> systems for the future.
>
>         Robyn Francis has just returned from a visit  to Cuba in
> June 2009 as part of Cuban-Australia Permaculture Exchange (CAPE)
> [...]

__________________
Bob Banner
Publisher & Director

HopeDance
Celebrating Transition, Opportunity and Resilience  •  2500 Oakview
Rd.  •  Templeton, CA 93465  •   805.434.3950
http://www.hopedance.org/cms
HopeDance at Transition CA: http://transitioncalifornia.ning.com/group/hopedance
Follow us at twitter: http://twitter.com/hopedance

edible SLO: Celebrating Local Food, Farmers and Healthy Food in SLO
County
2500 Oakview Rd.  •  Templeton, CA 93465  •   805.434.3950
http://www.ediblesanluisobispo.com
http://www.wiserearth.org/group/edibleslo
http://transitioncalifornia.ning.com/group/ediblesanluisobispo
Follow us on TWITTER: http://twitter.com/edibleslo

FiLMs, PRiNT & Web: info at hopedance.org / http://www.hopedance.org /
805.369-0203
TRANSITION:
Transition Initiative PORTAL: http://www.hopedance.org/cms/content/view/535/1
Transition CA: http://transitioncalifornia.ning.com/

Disclaimer:
The information we send out originates from reliable sources which we
believe to be accurate; but this cannot be guaranteed. We are not
responsible for any errors or omissions and we disclaim any liability
incurred as a consequence of any of the content.